Docbook toolchain - PDF creation failed

Discussion in 'XML' started by weberjn@gmail.com, Nov 10, 2006.

    I started to write a document with docbook xml.

    The chain XXE-> xsltproc -> HTML works fine, even with separation of
    document parts by xi:include. For some special things I had to edit the
    docbook source with jEdit and XML plugin, but fine. I append the script
    that calls xsltproc in case somebody is interested.

    But I did not succeed in getting PDF or MS Word output. A work-around
    that works surprisingly good is just opening the HTML in Word (2002 for
    me) and printing to a PDF printer.

    But, has anybody succeded in using XSLT transformation to get a PDF or
    a RTF (for an XML document with xi:include and images)? I could create
    the fo file, but apache fop cannot cope with the embedded images
    d:\java\fop-0.92beta\fop myfile.fo -pdf myfile.pdf
    (lots of errors, like
    [ERROR] Unknown enumerated value for property 'relative-align':
    baseline
    [ERROR] Error in relative-align property value 'baseline':
    org.apache.fop.fo.exp
    r.PropertyException: No conversion defined)

    So, for me the dookbook chain only works for creating html. But I
    thought, the idea of docbook is to create output for different targets

    Thanks,
    Juergen

    set DTDHOME=D:\java\xxe-std-3.5.0\addon\config\docbook\dtd\V4.5
    set XSLHOME=/java/Docbook/docbook-xsl-1.71.1
    set XSLTHOME=D:\java\Docbook

    set XML_CATALOG_FILES=%DTDHOME%\catalog.xml

    %XSLTHOME%\xsltproc --xinclude --output myfile.html --stringparam
    use.extensions 0 --stringparam html.stylesheet html.css
    %XSLHOME%/html/docbook.xsl myfile.xml

    , Nov 10, 2006

  2. Andy Dingley Guest

    wrote:

    > But I did not succeed in getting PDF or MS Word output.

    I've never had this work right under Windows, except by installing
    Cygwin (a Unix-like shell) and then using the good old reliable Apache
    FOP from there. Then it's pretty easy.

    Andy Dingley, Nov 10, 2006

    Andy Dingley wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    > > But I did not succeed in getting PDF or MS Word output.

    > I've never had this work right under Windows, except by installing
    > Cygwin (a Unix-like shell) and then using the good old reliable Apache
    > FOP from there. Then it's pretty easy.

    FOP is the problem. This is the part of my chain that fails.

    BTW, I don't use cygwin's xsltproc, I use the native port from
    http://www.zlatkovic.com/libxml.en.html

    , Nov 10, 2006