Docbook toolchain - PDF creation failed

weberjn

Hi,

I started to write a document with docbook xml.

The chain XXE-> xsltproc -> HTML works fine, even with separation of
document parts by xi:include. For some special things I had to edit the
docbook source with jEdit and XML plugin, but fine. I append the script
that calls xsltproc in case somebody is interested.

But I did not succeed in getting PDF or MS Word output. A work-around
that works surprisingly good is just opening the HTML in Word (2002 for
me) and printing to a PDF printer.

But, has anybody succeded in using XSLT transformation to get a PDF or
a RTF (for an XML document with xi:include and images)? I could create
the fo file, but apache fop cannot cope with the embedded images
d:\java\fop-0.92beta\fop myfile.fo -pdf myfile.pdf
(lots of errors, like
[ERROR] Unknown enumerated value for property 'relative-align':
baseline
[ERROR] Error in relative-align property value 'baseline':
org.apache.fop.fo.exp
r.PropertyException: No conversion defined)

So, for me the dookbook chain only works for creating html. But I
thought, the idea of docbook is to create output for different targets

Thanks,
Juergen

set DTDHOME=D:\java\xxe-std-3.5.0\addon\config\docbook\dtd\V4.5
set XSLHOME=/java/Docbook/docbook-xsl-1.71.1
set XSLTHOME=D:\java\Docbook

set XML_CATALOG_FILES=%DTDHOME%\catalog.xml

%XSLTHOME%\xsltproc --xinclude --output myfile.html --stringparam
use.extensions 0 --stringparam html.stylesheet html.css
%XSLHOME%/html/docbook.xsl myfile.xml

Andy Dingley

But I did not succeed in getting PDF or MS Word output.

I've never had this work right under Windows, except by installing
Cygwin (a Unix-like shell) and then using the good old reliable Apache
FOP from there. Then it's pretty easy.

weberjn

Andy said:
I've never had this work right under Windows, except by installing
Cygwin (a Unix-like shell) and then using the good old reliable Apache
FOP from there. Then it's pretty easy.

FOP is the problem. This is the part of my chain that fails.

BTW, I don't use cygwin's xsltproc, I use the native port from
http://www.zlatkovic.com/libxml.en.html