DOCBOOK/XSLT - Suppressing the automatic numbering

Michael Doubez

Hello,

I want to mix in the same document Parts that have automatically
numbered sections and parts which section are not numbered.

Is there any out of the box way to locally suppress the automatic
numbering of section like in latex using \section*{} instead of
\section{} ?

Or should I customize the XSLT with a new kind of section
(informalsection) ?
Or to using section for unnumered section ans Sect1/2/3/4/5 for
numbered one ?

Thanks,
Michael

Peter Flynn

Michael said:
Hello,

I want to mix in the same document Parts that have automatically
numbered sections and parts which section are not numbered.

Do the parts themselves still need to have a number (even if their child
sections don't)?
Is there any out of the box way to locally suppress the automatic
numbering of section like in latex using \section*{} instead of
\section{} ?

There is nothing in DocBook itself which specifies numbering or not:
this is left to the stylesheet.
Or should I customize the XSLT with a new kind of section
(informalsection) ?
Or to using section for unnumered section ans Sect1/2/3/4/5 for
numbered one ?

Rather than invent a new element type, you could [ab]use one of the
existing attributes on the part element type to signal your intention to
the stylesheet, eg <part status="unnumbered-sections">

///Peter