Docs on speeding up Python code?

Andreas Neudecker

Hi.

I have seen some discussions going on about making Python code faster
and several measures looked fairly 'esoteric' to me (i.e.: you need to
know a lot of background things to even KNOW about these possibilities).

Is there anywhere a concise Howto, article, PEP, whatever that describes
possible measures to make Python code faster (and probably 'cleaner',
too)? And possibly in a way, that a beginner or intermediate Python user
can understand? ;-)

If you know of any such docs, I would be happy if you could post some links.

Regards

Andreas

Jeremy Jones

* Andreas Neudecker ([email protected]) said:
Hi.

I have seen some discussions going on about making Python code faster
and several measures looked fairly 'esoteric' to me (i.e.: you need to
know a lot of background things to even KNOW about these possibilities).

Is there anywhere a concise Howto, article, PEP, whatever that describes
possible measures to make Python code faster (and probably 'cleaner',
too)? And possibly in a way, that a beginner or intermediate Python user
can understand? ;-)

If you know of any such docs, I would be happy if you could post some links.

Regards

Andreas

One link that has helped me out is http://manatee.mojam.com/~skip/python/fastpython.html. I got a considerable performance boost on a parser that I wrote by following his suggestions (specifically doing things over and over and the use of the profiler).

HTH

Jeremy Jones

Andreas Neudecker

Thanks for the answers. Really a very useful document.

Regards

Andreas

Skip Montanaro

Andreas> Thanks for the answers. Really a very useful document.

Like most other static pages, my fast python page:

http://manatee.mojam.com/~skip/python/fastpython.html

can quickly get out-of-date, and I don't have a lot of spare time to work on
it. I'd be more than happy to set up a Wiki so the community can help
maintain it. If you think you'd contribute something (however minor) if it
was Wiki-fied, let me know.

Skip