    --
    <%= Clinton Gallagher
    NET csgallagher@ REMOVETHISTEXT metromilwaukee.com
    clintonG, Jul 12, 2004

  2. Don't know if there is any specific documentation about this, but it
    shouldn't be hard to figure out. For example, to manage processes, one must
    be an administrator, naturally. To read or write from Active Directory
    requires a role having the administrative permissions necessary to do so. To
    open a file on a machine elsewhere on the network, the app must be or
    impersonate a user account with the necessary permissions on that machine.
    To read from or write to the System Registry, the app must be or impersonate
    an account with that permission. Etc.

    --
    HTH,
    Kevin Spencer

    Kevin Spencer, Jul 12, 2004

  3. clintonG

    Scott Allen Guest

    It's not that classes require a role, per se.

    For example, I can start XCOPY using the Process class from an ASPX
    page under the ASPNET account, and I can copy a file from one temp
    directory to another with xcopy when the directory permissions are
    wide open. If I try to copy a file into the \Documents and
    Settings\Administrator, then there is a permissions issue. Likewise if
    I try to run IISRESET, I'll get an access denied message, but in
    neither failure will I get an exception - just an error message in the
    output of the process because of what it tried to do.

    --
    Scott
    http://www.OdeToCode.com

    Scott Allen, Jul 12, 2004
  4. clintonG

    clintonG Guest

    The documentation -- MSDN Library -- clearly states classes that
    are also supported by the Compact Framework. The same should
    be true when roles impose dependencies on usage.

    I was hoping to learn somebody had taken it upon themselves to
    document this fact as it is not documented within the official
    documentation.

    I'll be submitting this suggestion to MSDN...

    clintonG, Jul 15, 2004
  5. clintonG

    clintonG Guest

    See me response above...