docstrings for module variables / pydoc

Nuff Said

Is it possible to associate a docstring with a module variable
(e.g. a constant) and to make them both show up when generating
the documentation with pydoc?

(E.g. the string module seems to solve this problem by mentioning
all public module variables in the module's docstring. But I would
like to put the docstrings next to the module variables themselves.)

Thanks in advance for your help! Nuff.