Doctyope 4.01 Question

James Bolger

Just wondering if anyone knows why in HTML standard 4.01 the TABLE tag
doesn't have an attribute for HEIGHT? And why "100%" is not a valid value
for either the WIDTH or HEIGHT attribute? And how we can get around these
problems if you want to create a table that is full height of screen?

Cheers James.

brucie

In alt.html James Bolger said:
Just wondering if anyone knows why in HTML standard 4.01 the TABLE tag

element, not tag
doesn't have an attribute for HEIGHT?

it doesn't need one
And why "100%" is not a valid value for either the WIDTH or HEIGHT
attribute?

% are valid for width
And how we can get around these problems if you want to create a table
that is full height of screen?

there isn't a problem. use css or even better don't use tables for
layout.
http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Tableless_layouts

James Bolger

I should just clarify what effect I am trying to acheive: I have a cell that
expands and contracts depending on the size of data in it. In the next
colum's cells I have a nested table with 3 rows. The top row is size 10 and
the bottom row is size 10, however I have specified no size for the middle
row, but have specified a height attribute with value 100% for the table so
that the middle row expands with the data from the pervious colum. See below
for code:

<TABLE>
<TR>
<TD>
Some data
</TD>
<TD>
<TABLE HEIGHT="100%">
<TR>
<TD HEIGHT="10">
Row Heading
</TD>
</TR>
<TR>
<TD>
Some text
</TD>
</TR>
<TR>
<TD HEIGHT="10">
Row Footer
</TD>
</TR>
</TABLE>
</TD>
</TR>
</TABLE>

James Bolger

In alt.html bruice said:
<looks around for URL/>

Doesn't need one, gave an example. And besides URL not live so you couldn't
see it anyway.

I've taken this onboard, however, there needs to be data representation and
have built into my table captions.
How am I supposed to post my replies in a newsgroup?:
http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post

Not sure of the relevence of this as both my posts were made before any of
bruice's.

No need to reply. Thank you.

brucie

In alt.html James Bolger said:
Doesn't need one, gave an example. And besides URL not live so you couldn't
see it anyway.

you're supposed to make it easy for people to help you, not expect them
to jump through hoops reconstructing your crappy markup.
No need to reply. Thank you.

get fucked and your little dog too.

Karl Core

James Bolger said:
I should just clarify what effect I am trying to acheive: I

Patient - "Doctor, it hurts when I do this"
Doctor - "Don't do that anymore"

-Karl

DU

James said:
I should just clarify what effect I am trying to acheive: I have a cell that
expands and contracts depending on the size of data in it.

You're using nested tables to render non-tabular data. In 2 ways, you
are misusing HTML markup code.

Why tables for layout is stupid:
problems defined, solutions offered
http://www.hotdesign.com/seybold/

Tableless layout HOWTO
http://www.w3.org/2002/03/csslayout-howto

The height attribute for HTML 4.01 table element is not necessary as a
table height should grow accordingly to render its content. Just like
most or all block level elements.

The browser window viewport height should not dictate the height of a
table: its content should instead. Just think about if the user
increases the font size: then pixel accurate design would break.

In the next
colum's cells I have a nested table with 3 rows. The top row is size 10 and
the bottom row is size 10, however I have specified no size for the middle
row, but have specified a height attribute with value 100% for the table so
that the middle row expands with the data from the pervious colum. See below
for code:

<TABLE>

Was there a need to paste long markup code when giving a simple url
would have suit more than accordingly the readers willing to spend their
volunteer time to help you? Giving an url often answers more questions
that readers might have about your webpage situation, context.

Top-posting is also annoying and uselessly disrupting normal
chronological and contextual reading order of posts in threads. You were
asked to correct that.

DU

Thomas Mlynarczyk

Also sprach DU:
The height attribute for HTML 4.01 table element is not necessary as a
table height should grow accordingly to render its content. Just like
most or all block level elements.

Just wondering: Couldn't the width attribute be eliminated as well using a
similar argument? But width is allowed, while height is not - why?