    for either the WIDTH or HEIGHT attribute? And how we can get around these
    problems if you want to create a table that is full height of screen?

    Cheers James.
    James Bolger, Oct 23, 2004

  2. James Bolger

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html James Bolger said:

    > Just wondering if anyone knows why in HTML standard 4.01 the TABLE tag

    element, not tag

    > doesn't have an attribute for HEIGHT?

    it doesn't need one

    > And why "100%" is not a valid value for either the WIDTH or HEIGHT
    > attribute?

    % are valid for width

    > And how we can get around these problems if you want to create a table
    > that is full height of screen?

    there isn't a problem. use css or even better don't use tables for
    layout.
    http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Tableless_layouts

    --

    v o i c e s
    brucie, Oct 23, 2004

  3. James Bolger

    James Bolger Guest

    I should just clarify what effect I am trying to acheive: I have a cell that
    expands and contracts depending on the size of data in it. In the next
    colum's cells I have a nested table with 3 rows. The top row is size 10 and
    the bottom row is size 10, however I have specified no size for the middle
    row, but have specified a height attribute with value 100% for the table so
    that the middle row expands with the data from the pervious colum. See below
    for code:

    <TABLE>
    <TR>
    <TD>
    Some data
    </TD>
    <TD>
    <TABLE HEIGHT="100%">
    <TR>
    <TD HEIGHT="10">
    Row Heading
    </TD>
    </TR>
    <TR>
    <TD>
    Some text
    </TD>
    </TR>
    <TR>
    <TD HEIGHT="10">
    Row Footer
    </TD>
    </TR>
    </TABLE>
    </TD>
    </TR>
    </TABLE>

    James Bolger, Oct 23, 2004
  4. James Bolger

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html James Bolger said:

    > I should just clarify what effect I am trying to acheive:

    <looks around for URL/>

    > I have a cell that expands and contracts depending on the size of data
    > in it.

    default behavior

    > In the next colum's cells I have a nested table with 3 rows.

    Tableless layouts
    http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Tableless_layouts

    How am I supposed to post my replies in a newsgroup?:
    http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post

    --

    v o i c e s
    brucie, Oct 23, 2004
  5. James Bolger

    James Bolger Guest

    In alt.html bruice said:

    > <looks around for URL/>

    Doesn't need one, gave an example. And besides URL not live so you couldn't
    see it anyway.

    > Tableless layouts
    > http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Tableless_layouts

    I've taken this onboard, however, there needs to be data representation and
    have built into my table captions.

    > How am I supposed to post my replies in a newsgroup?:
    > http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post

    Not sure of the relevence of this as both my posts were made before any of
    bruice's.

    No need to reply. Thank you.
    James Bolger, Oct 23, 2004
  6. James Bolger

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html James Bolger said:

    >> <looks around for URL/>

    > Doesn't need one, gave an example. And besides URL not live so you couldn't
    > see it anyway.

    you're supposed to make it easy for people to help you, not expect them
    to jump through hoops reconstructing your crappy markup.

    > No need to reply. Thank you.

    get fucked and your little dog too.

    --

    v o i c e s
    brucie, Oct 23, 2004
  7. James Bolger

    Karl Core Guest

    >I should just clarify what effect I am trying to acheive: I

    Patient - "Doctor, it hurts when I do this"
    Doctor - "Don't do that anymore"

    -Karl
    Karl Core, Oct 23, 2004
  8. James Bolger

    DU Guest

    James Bolger wrote:

    > I should just clarify what effect I am trying to acheive: I have a cell that
    > expands and contracts depending on the size of data in it.

    You're using nested tables to render non-tabular data. In 2 ways, you
    are misusing HTML markup code.

    Why tables for layout is stupid:
    problems defined, solutions offered
    http://www.hotdesign.com/seybold/

    Tableless layout HOWTO
    http://www.w3.org/2002/03/csslayout-howto

    The height attribute for HTML 4.01 table element is not necessary as a
    table height should grow accordingly to render its content. Just like
    most or all block level elements.

    The browser window viewport height should not dictate the height of a
    table: its content should instead. Just think about if the user
    increases the font size: then pixel accurate design would break.

    In the next
    > colum's cells I have a nested table with 3 rows. The top row is size 10 and
    > the bottom row is size 10, however I have specified no size for the middle
    > row, but have specified a height attribute with value 100% for the table so
    > that the middle row expands with the data from the pervious colum. See below
    > for code:
    >
    > <TABLE>

    Was there a need to paste long markup code when giving a simple url
    would have suit more than accordingly the readers willing to spend their
    volunteer time to help you? Giving an url often answers more questions
    that readers might have about your webpage situation, context.

    Top-posting is also annoying and uselessly disrupting normal
    chronological and contextual reading order of posts in threads. You were
    asked to correct that.

    DU
    --
    The site said to use Internet Explorer 5 or better... so I switched to
    Mozilla 1.7.3 :)
    DU, Oct 24, 2004
  9. Also sprach DU:

    > The height attribute for HTML 4.01 table element is not necessary as a
    > table height should grow accordingly to render its content. Just like
    > most or all block level elements.

    Just wondering: Couldn't the width attribute be eliminated as well using a
    similar argument? But width is allowed, while height is not - why?
    Thomas Mlynarczyk, Oct 27, 2004