DOCTYPE / background-image madness!

TC

Harlan said:
TC wrote:

Oh? I've observed the opposite, and this would make no sense, the whole
point being that you trust your own resources more than you trust other
people's.

No, I believe that I'm right. Check the link Ed Mullen posted. "The
role of the MOTW is more prominent with Internet Explorer 6 for
Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) because of increased security
restrictions in the Local Machine zone. When you are developing Web
content, the MOTW enables you to test your active HTML documents in the
security zone where you intend the pages to run" [instead of in the
increased security restrictions of the Local Machine zone]

Cheers,
TC (MVP MSAccess)
http://tc2.atspace.com

TC

TC said:
Harlan said:
TC wrote:

Oh? I've observed the opposite, and this would make no sense, the whole
point being that you trust your own resources more than you trust other
people's.

No, I believe that I'm right. Check the link Ed Mullen posted. "The
role of the MOTW is more prominent with Internet Explorer 6 for
Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) because of increased security
restrictions in the Local Machine zone. When you are developing Web
content, the MOTW enables you to test your active HTML documents in the
security zone where you intend the pages to run" [instead of in the
increased security restrictions of the Local Machine zone]

For example, here is one of many posts on the issue. It shows it well,
from a user perspective: (absurdly long URL follows)
http://groups.google.com/group/micr...e0b171cf2a8?lnk=st&q=&rnum=1#71505e0b171cf2a8

Cheers,
TC (MVP MSAccess)
http://tc2.atspace.com

TC

TC said:
TC said:
Harlan said:
TC wrote:
In days gone by, the Local zone had *less*
restrictions than the Internet zone. So local files were *more capable*
than remote ones. Now days, the Local zone has *more* restrictions than
the Internet zone, so local files are (by default) *less* capable than
remote ones.

Oh? I've observed the opposite, and this would make no sense, the whole
point being that you trust your own resources more than you trust other
people's.

No, I believe that I'm right. Check the link Ed Mullen posted. "The
role of the MOTW is more prominent with Internet Explorer 6 for
Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) because of increased security
restrictions in the Local Machine zone. When you are developing Web
content, the MOTW enables you to test your active HTML documents in the
security zone where you intend the pages to run" [instead of in the
increased security restrictions of the Local Machine zone]

For example, here is one of many posts on the issue. It shows it well,
from a user perspective: (absurdly long URL follows)
http://groups.google.com/group/micr...e0b171cf2a8?lnk=st&q=&rnum=1#71505e0b171cf2a8

Oops, when you've followed that link, go back to the first post in that
thread.

Cheers,
TC (MVP MSAccess)
http://tc2.atspace.com

Harlan Messinger

TC said:
Harlan said:
TC wrote:
Oh? I've observed the opposite, and this would make no sense, the whole
point being that you trust your own resources more than you trust other
people's.

No, I believe that I'm right. Check the link Ed Mullen posted. "The
role of the MOTW is more prominent with Internet Explorer 6 for
Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) because of increased security
restrictions in the Local Machine zone. When you are developing Web
content, the MOTW enables you to test your active HTML documents in the
security zone where you intend the pages to run" [instead of in the
increased security restrictions of the Local Machine zone]

The clearer explanation is at the bottom: "Because the Local Machine
zone has so few security restrictions, active HTML documents running on
the local machine have access to the computer's entire file system. The
MOTW aids Internet Explorer in protecting the user from the risks of
running these documents in the Local Machine zone. By referencing the
MOTW, Internet Explorer can force these Web pages into a zone that has
more restrictions, such as the Internet zone. At the same time, the MOTW
cannot be used to elevate Web pages to a zone with fewer restrictions.
Forced out of the Local Machine zone, the active content has no access
to the computer's file system."

It moves the files *into* the Internet zone = "zone that has more
restrictions", because otherwise they'd be treated as Local Machine
files with few restrictions.

TC

Harlan said:
TC said:
Harlan said:
TC wrote:
[...]

You missed the next statement: "Note: Windows XP SP2 applications
including Internet Explorer 6 that take advantage of the Local Machine
Zone Lockdown security feature run in an even more restricted
environment than the Internet zone."

In XP SP2, with the Local Machine lockdown, the local zone has *more*
restrictions than the Internet zone. This was an important change in
SP2.

If you don't believe me, try it yourself. Create a simple web page that
includes some javascript. Run it from your local hard disk. On XP SP2,
IE6 will ask you to confirm the script. Now add an MOTW & run it again.
Now IE6 *will not* ask, it will run the script without asking. The MOTW
moves the script from a *more* restrictive execution environment (the
Local zone), to a *less* restrictive one (the Internet one).

HTH,
TC (MVP MSAccess)
http://tc2.atspace.com