Doctype

Damien RICHARD

How to modify the default doctype in asp.net page?
I wish use xhtml 1.1 and not xhtml 1.0 transitional

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Salut Damien,

The templates for pages are stored in a folder such as C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
8\Common7\IDE\VWDExpress\ItemTemplates\Web\VisualBasic\1033 inside a .zip
file.

I've haven't tried it, but it looks like you could make a backup of the
original zip, extract webform.aspx from the zip, substitute the doctype you
want, and zip it up again.

There seem to be a couple of similar folders (one for cached templates) so
you might have to use trial and error to get the right one.

Or, you mgiht want to create your own custom Visual Studio templates with
the correct doctype. There's a procedure to do that here:

Let us know how you make out?

Ken
Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]

Damien RICHARD

Hello,

You must modify webform.aspx and webform_cb.aspx in the webform.zip stored
in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
8\Common7\IDE\VWDExpress\ItemTemplates\Web\VisualBasic\1033 and C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
8\Common7\IDE\VWDExpress\ItemTemplatesCaches\Web\VisualBasic\1033\Webform.zip
directories.

Damien RICHARD said:
How to modify the default doctype in asp.net page?
I wish use xhtml 1.1 and not xhtml 1.0 transitional

Damien RICHARD

With Visual Studio 2005 Web Application Projects, the directories are
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplates\CSharp
and C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
8\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplatesCache\CSharp\WebForm.zip

Damien RICHARD said:
How to modify the default doctype in asp.net page?
I wish use xhtml 1.1 and not xhtml 1.0 transitional

Alan Silver

Damien RICHARD said:
How to modify the default doctype in asp.net page?
I wish use xhtml 1.1 and not xhtml 1.0 transitional

Why? According to the specs, XHTML 1.1 must be delivered with an XML
mime type (as opposed to an HTML one), and this isn't supported in IE,
which cuts out about 80% of the Internet public. I'm not sure it's
supported in many other browsers for that matter.