document() and network shares

Axial

I have a book.xml file which contains a list of xml files to be
processed, in the form:

<ReportSource>\\127.0.0.1\BK_XML\CF001-CapitalFund.xml</ReportSource>
<ReportSource>\\222.222.222.6\BK_XML\ZF001-ZeeFund.xml</ReportSource>

where BK_XML is a shared directory on the host specified. Both book.xml
and the referenced xml files are in the same directory.

Can the document() function resolve paths specified this way? For example

<xsl:apply-templates select="document(ReportSource)"\>

Sheila