Document asp.net project

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Sharon, Oct 5, 2004.

  1. Sharon

    Sharon Guest

    Hello all, I'm a new arrival here so please excuse if I'm asking in the
    wrong forum.

    I've been given a task at work to document some quite large, complex C# web
    projects that were undertaken by either previous employees or contractors.
    I'm using VS.net 2003. It's going to be a very painful processing trying to
    do it "by hand" and I've been searching for a tool to help.

    For a site-map, I've tried Xtreeme SiteXpert, but it doesn't really give me
    what I want because all the sites use a SQL Server-driven CMS, and so only
    page that SiteXpert sees is Default.aspx.

    The reason for the job is so that we developers who are there now (three of
    us) have nothing at all to follow when a client makes a change-request. Even
    quoting is difficult sometimes because previously there has been very little
    documentation at all -- spec's are extremely rare, and the ones that exist
    are really just generalized user-specifications with no technical specs at
    all.

    I've been thinking about trying to produce a html or text doc of the Object
    Browser, and have been trying to find (without success) whether there is
    something inbuilt in VS.net that will do this.

    Has anyone got any suggestions?

    Thanks,
    Sharon

    PS -- just to complicate things (and, yes, I know this is the wrong
    forum) -- included in this list of projects that I have to document are
    quite a few older php and asp ones as well!!!
    Sharon, Oct 5, 2004

  2. Sharon

    James Thomas Guest

    Well, one thing I've found that helps a lot with documentation (as long
    as you're using VS .NET anyway) is to precede each method with three /
    (as in ///). VS .NET will then add all the method variables and all you
    have to do is fill in what the method does (inside the <summary> block)
    and what each variable is for, as well as what the method returns.

    It's very hand when coding and seeing what each one of the methods
    you're using does before you use it.

    James

    James Thomas, Oct 5, 2004