Document asp.net project

Sharon

Hello all, I'm a new arrival here so please excuse if I'm asking in the
wrong forum.

I've been given a task at work to document some quite large, complex C# web
projects that were undertaken by either previous employees or contractors.
I'm using VS.net 2003. It's going to be a very painful processing trying to
do it "by hand" and I've been searching for a tool to help.

For a site-map, I've tried Xtreeme SiteXpert, but it doesn't really give me
what I want because all the sites use a SQL Server-driven CMS, and so only
page that SiteXpert sees is Default.aspx.

The reason for the job is so that we developers who are there now (three of
us) have nothing at all to follow when a client makes a change-request. Even
quoting is difficult sometimes because previously there has been very little
documentation at all -- spec's are extremely rare, and the ones that exist
are really just generalized user-specifications with no technical specs at
all.

I've been thinking about trying to produce a html or text doc of the Object
Browser, and have been trying to find (without success) whether there is
something inbuilt in VS.net that will do this.

Has anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks,
Sharon

PS -- just to complicate things (and, yes, I know this is the wrong
forum) -- included in this list of projects that I have to document are
quite a few older php and asp ones as well!!!

James Thomas

Well, one thing I've found that helps a lot with documentation (as long
as you're using VS .NET anyway) is to precede each method with three /
(as in ///). VS .NET will then add all the method variables and all you
have to do is fill in what the method does (inside the <summary> block)
and what each variable is for, as well as what the method returns.

It's very hand when coding and seeing what each one of the methods
you're using does before you use it.

James