document.createElementNS on IE...

Prasanna

Hi All

document.createElementNS works fine on firefox, but not on IE.

I use this fuction to create SVG objects on the fly

for example.....

SVG.ns = "http://www.w3.org/2000/svg";
var svg = document.createElementNS(SVG.ns, "svg:svg");

Some of the forums suggested to use document.createElement insteaad of
document.createElementNS on IE......

But I want to create an elemnt from the name space which is present in
"http://www.w3.org/2000/svg"

how do i do that in IE.

somthing like document.createElement("svg:svg");
doesnt satisfy the requirement, since the browser downt understand
what is "svg:svg" unless a valied namespace is specified.

Thanks
Prasanna

Henry

document.createElementNS works fine on firefox, but not on IE.

IE's (HTML DOM) document object does not have a createElementNS method
(and there are no NS methods anywhere in its DOM).
I use this fuction to create SVG objects on the fly

IE has no native support for SVG.
for example.....

SVG.ns = "http://www.w3.org/2000/svg";
var svg = document.createElementNS(SVG.ns, "svg:svg");

Some of the forums suggested to use document.createElement
insteaad of document.createElementNS on IE......

IE has no native support for SVG, so there is no change of creating an
SVG element with any method.
But I want to create an elemnt from the name space which
is present in "http://www.w3.org/2000/svg"

how do i do that in IE.

You don't.
somthing like document.createElement("svg:svg");
doesnt satisfy the requirement, since the browser downt
understand what is "svg:svg" unless a valied namespace
is specified.

No, the browser doesn't understand SVG, full stop.

For vector graphics on IE it is VML (with all its limitations), Flash
or (for the extremely small-scale) javascript tricks with hundreds
(often thousands) of HTML DIV elements (and blocky outlines).

Prasanna

IE's (HTML DOM) document object does not have a createElementNS method
(and there are no NS methods anywhere in its DOM).

IE has no native support for SVG.

IE has no native support for SVG, so there is no change of creating an
SVG element with any method.

You don't.

No, the browser doesn't understand SVG, full stop.

For vector graphics on IE it is VML (with all its limitations), Flash
or (for the extremely small-scale) javascript tricks with hundreds
(often thousands) of HTML DIV elements (and blocky outlines).

Im basically trying to use SVG for plotting dynamic graphs.
Somthing similar to the graph on performance management tab under the
windows task maanger.

I have done that using SVG and it works fine on firefox.

Is there an alternative on ie that is avalable to do something
similar ?

Thanks
Prasanna