Documentation on the various accounts used when a webapp runs

Rob Nicholson

Is there a nice reference somewhere that explains how all the security
accounts (e.g. ASPNET) used in VB.NET, ASP.NET running on IIS5? I find the
whole thing a bit of a mystery :)

Thanks, Rob.

Kevin Spencer

There is only one: The account under which ASP.Net runs. What exactly do you
want to know about it?

The reason you may not have seen anything is that ASP.Net can run under any
account you specify, and while the default account has certain default
permissions, you are free to modify them as well.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Rob Nicholson

There is only one: The account under which ASP.Net runs. What exactly do
you
want to know about it?

How it works :) It is actually more how to change it on a production
web-server so that it can use a domain account and therefore be granted
access to network resources. But on my local PC, there are the following
accounts:

ASPNET
IUSR_MACC_PC_049
IWAM_MACC_PC_049
SQLDebugger
VUSR_MACC_PC_049

Some of them are IIS related, some are ASP, some are VS. See, bit of a
mystery to me :)

Rob.