documented $PROGRAM_NAME use in error?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Paul Lalli, May 19, 2006.

  1. Paul Lalli

    Paul Lalli Guest

    Alan E Derhaag wrote:
    > The perldoc perlvar continues to indicate $0 or $PROGRAM_NAME can be
    > used to indicate the program name for the script being run, but I can
    > never get $PROGRAM_NAME to be defined. Is that a long standing error
    > in the docs that everyone misses or agrees not to fix?

    Which do you think is more likely?

    A) The documentation has been wrong for many many years and many many
    revisions of Perl, and you are either 1) The first person to notice, or
    2) The first person to care
    or
    B) You're doing something wrong?

    Have you ever heard of Occam's Razor? ;-)

    Read the very FIRST two paragraphs of the documentation you referred
    to....

    Paul Lalli
    Paul Lalli, May 19, 2006

  2. The perldoc perlvar continues to indicate $0 or $PROGRAM_NAME can be

    --
    Alan E. Derhaag New Era Software Development
    http://aederhaag.home.comcast.net/ Auburn, WA, USA
    Alan E Derhaag, May 19, 2006

  3. Paul Lalli

    Guest

    Alan E Derhaag wrote:
    > The perldoc perlvar continues to indicate $0 or $PROGRAM_NAME can be
    > used to indicate the program name for the script being run, but I can
    > never get $PROGRAM_NAME to be defined.

    I believe that most of these easy to use variable Mneumonics get
    introduced into the namespace when you have a "use English"
    delcaration.

    It seems to the be the way with a number of other variables.

    if I type

    use English

    print $PROGRAM_NAME

    it works. Are you able to load "English.pm" correctly ?

    -Jimi
    , May 19, 2006