DocumentHTML ?

~greg

I am trying to get an InternetExplorer.Application to print out
the whole HTML document as text,
from the <HTML> (or before) to the </HTML>.
(-so as to feed it to a TreeBuilder parse).

print $Document->Body->innerHTML works,
but returns only the body's innerHTML.

print $Document->Body->outterHTML,
and print $Document->DocumentHTML,
don't work.

The error is:
Win32::OLE(0.1707) error 0x80020003: "Member not found"
in METHOD/PROPERTYGET "" at ...

Any hints, please?

~greg

use strict;
$|=1;
my $IEWindow;
my $Document;
my $Looping = 1;
use Win32::OLE qw(EVENTS in);
my $IE = Win32::OLE->new("InternetExplorer.Application")
|| die "Could not start Internet Explorer.Application\n";
Win32::OLE->WithEvents($IE,\&MyIEHandler,"DWebBrowserEvents2");
sub MyIEHandler
{
my ($obj,$event,@args) = @_;
if ($event eq "DocumentComplete")
{
$IEWindow = shift @args;
$Document = $IEWindow->{Document};
#print $Document->DocumentHTML; # doesn't work
#print $Document->Body->outterHTML; # doesn't work
print $Document->Body->innerHTML; # works
}
elsif($event eq 'OnQuit')
{
Win32::OLE->WithEvents($IE);
$Looping = 0;

$IE->{visible} = 1;
$IE->Navigate("http://www.google.com");

while($Looping)
{
Win32::Sleep(40);
Win32::OLE->SpinMessageLoop();

A. Sinan Unur

~greg said:
I am trying to get an InternetExplorer.Application to print out
the whole HTML document as text,
from the <HTML> (or before) to the </HTML>.
(-so as to feed it to a TreeBuilder parse).

print $Document->Body->innerHTML works,
but returns only the body's innerHTML.

print $Document->Body->outterHTML,
and print $Document->DocumentHTML,
don't work.

The error is:
Win32::OLE(0.1707) error 0x80020003: "Member not found"
in METHOD/PROPERTYGET "" at ...

Any hints, please?

Well, the first one would to use

http://search.cpan.org/~abeltje/Win32-IE-Mechanize-0.009_17/

I have successfully used that module to do some really complicated
automated downloading of about 10 GB of HTML from various web sites
(sorry can't be more specific).

Note the comment at

http://search.cpan.org/~abeltje/Win32-IE-Mechanize-0.009_17/lib/Win32/IE/Mechanize.pm#$ie->content
use strict;

use warnings; # do not leave it out.

#!/usr/bin/perl

use strict;
use warnings;

$|=1;
my $IEWindow;
my $Document;
my $Looping = 1;

use Win32::OLE qw(EVENTS in);

my $IE = Win32::OLE->new("InternetExplorer.Application")
or die "Could not start Internet Explorer.Application\n";

Win32::OLE->WithEvents($IE, \&MyIEHandler, "DWebBrowserEvents2");

sub MyIEHandler {
my ($obj, $event, @args) = @_;

if ($event eq "DocumentComplete") {
my $IEWindow = shift @args;
print $IEWindow->Document->documentElement->{outerHTML};
}
elsif($event eq 'OnQuit') {
Win32::OLE->WithEvents($IE);
$Looping = 0;

$IE->{visible} = 1;
$IE->Navigate("http://www.google.com");

while ($Looping) {
Win32::Sleep(40);
Win32::OLE->SpinMessageLoop();
}

__END__

Sinan

~greg

"A. Sinan Unur" > wrote ...
"~greg" > wrote ...

Well, the first one would to use

http://search.cpan.org/~abeltje/Win32-IE-Mechanize-0.009_17/

I have successfully used that module to do some really complicated
automated downloading of about 10 GB of HTML from various web sites
(sorry can't be more specific).

Note the comment at

http://search.cpan.org/~abeltje/Win32-IE-Mechanize-0.009_17/lib/Win32/IE/Mechanize.pm#$ie->content

use warnings; # do not leave it out.

Thanks.

I do use Mechanize, and TreeBuilder, together, quite a bit.

But what I am really trying to do is to add value to my regular browser
(i.e, IE), --without having to write COM plug-ins
(or whatever they're called these days.)

~~

I don't know what you mean by "the comment" at the link
to cpan's Win32::IE::Mechanize,

but the DESCRIPTION of its current state is not at all encouraging
(---"Don't expect it to be like the mech in that the class is not derived
from the user-agent class (like LWP). WARNING: This is a work in progress ... ")

and the CAVEATS (---"...This means that you may need
to set your security settings to a low and possibly unsafe level. ...")

sounds down right dire to me.

(Part of what I mean by adding value to IE is ADDING security, not subtracting it!)

~~~

But of course I use warnings!

You didn't see it in my snippet because I always run scripts
from within a text editor that has it on the command line:
perl.exe -w -Mstrict ...

But I do want to thank you because you made me look
at the setup again, and it turns out that I'd had it as:
perl.exe -w mstrict ...

- with small 'm' instead of capital 'M',
-- which is why I had to still use "use strict;"
in all my scripts!

And now I don't have to look at either one of them - "use strict;" or "use warnings;"
ever again! :)

(Next I've got to figure out how to hide "$|=1;" )

~greg

Joe Smith

~greg said:
But of course I use warnings!

You didn't see it in my snippet because I always run scripts
from within a text editor that has it on the command line:
perl.exe -w -Mstrict ...

Do you expect that you will ever pass the responsibility of running those
scripts to someone else?

~greg

Sinan, and Joe,
I am very sorry about this. And I beg your forgiveness.
And I most profusely apologize to you both.

A couple of days ago I had posted here asking about
"Automating Internet Explorer".

My question was about OLE,
And I got one response that simply ignored my question
and told me to use Mechanize instead.

Gentlemen, I am old.
It seemed to me the same thing was happening again here.

When I saw that Mr Unur was telling me to use
Win32-IE-Mechanize instead, - I started dimming out.

When next I saw him telling me to "use warnings",
I started blanking out.

And when, finally, I saw that he'd added "use warnings" to my original code
-- but ---it seemed to me, when I skimmed over it, with these old eyes,
--- nothing else ..!..

Gentlemen, I'm old.

I glanced over the rest of the script and didn't notice
that any other changes had been made than the addition
of "use warnings".

I thought Mr Unur had "middle-posted" and left,
after telling me to use warnings.

~~
Also,

I am not a professional.
I write maybe 3 or 4 small scripts a day, purely for my own needs.

It would never have occurred to me that explicit "use strict"
and "use warnings" is a courtesy to others.

I will do it from now on.

~~~

Again, I am very sorry about all of this.

I do understand, now, finally, how you reacted to me.
Very much the same way that I had mistakenly initially reacted to you.
But you didn't know that. You didn't know how or why I had reacted
the way I did. And I didn't know that you didn't know.
So your reaction to me came as a complete surprise to me.

I think perhaps such total mis-communication
has occured before on usenet. If so it would explain a lot.

Anyway, thank you both again.

$IEWindow->Document->documentElement->{outerHTML};
is ideed exactly what I was asking for. It works.
(How ever did you find it?)

And I will remember to include the explicit "use strct" and "use warnings"
from now on.

Thank you!

Greg.

~greg

Ah!

Sinan,

It turns out that I was not entirely to blame
for our mis-communciation!

But neither were you!

It's all due to an HTML mistake
on the Win32::IE::Mechanize document page!

Starting with NAME as line 1, the 21st and 22nd lines are:
CONTENT-HANDLING METHODS
$ie->content

which I know now is what you meant.

They are both coded as links to internal anchors,
and the first one
http://search.cpan.org/~abeltje/Win...in32/IE/Mechanize.pm#CONTENT-HANDLING_METHODS

works. That is to say, it links to an existing internal anchor.

But the second one -- the one you gave me --
http://search.cpan.org/~abeltje/Win32-IE-Mechanize-0.009_17/lib/Win32/IE/Mechanize.pm#$ie->content

is broken!
You can search the source code for "24ie-%3Econtent"
and you don't find it anywhere else!

The effect was that when I clicked on the link you gave me,
it just opened the whole document at the top!
So I had no idea what "comment" you were specifically
trying to direct me to. And I couldn't possibly guess
what you meant.

Neither your fault nor mine!

~greg.

A. Sinan Unur

But the second one -- the one you gave me --
http://search.cpan.org/~abeltje/Win32-IE-Mechanize-0.009_17/lib/Win32/IE/Mechanize.pm#$ie->content

is broken!
You can search the source code for "24ie-%3Econtent"
and you don't find it anywhere else!

Well, more than likely, it is your browser or newsreader that is broken.
%24 is the URL encoded version of $ and and %3E is the URL encoded version
of #. So, the link above is the same as:

http://search.cpan.org/~abeltje/Win32-IE-Mechanize-0.009_17/lib/Win32/IE/Mechanize.pm#$ie->content

but with the unsafe characters replaced with safe URL encodings.
Neither your fault nor mine!

True.

Sinan

A. Sinan Unur

When I saw that Mr Unur was telling me to use
Win32-IE-Mechanize instead, - I started dimming out.

When next I saw him telling me to "use warnings",
I started blanking out.

And when, finally, I saw that he'd added "use warnings" to my
original code -- but ---it seemed to me, when I skimmed over it, with
these old eyes, --- nothing else ..!..

Gentlemen, I'm old.

I glanced over the rest of the script and didn't notice
that any other changes had been made than the addition
of "use warnings".

I thought Mr Unur had "middle-posted" and left,
after telling me to use warnings.

As I wrote that message, I replaced your script with the copy-pasted
version of my script but gave no indication of the fact that I had changed
a single line in it.

That's my fault.
$IEWindow->Document->documentElement->{outerHTML};
is ideed exactly what I was asking for. It works.
(How ever did you find it?)

I wondered how Win32::IE::Mechanize did it and looked at its source code.

Microsoft has documentation on Internet.Application at msdn.microsoft.com.
The whole thing is really messy and I am not sure if you will able to do
better than Win32::IE::Mechanize (and if you are, I am sure we would all
appreciate your contributions).

On the other hand, that module helped me achieve a lot recently despite all
the warnings on CPAN. I am more worried about modules that don't tell me
their shortcomings up front.

Sinan

~greg

Well, more than likely, it is your browser or newsreader that is broken.

Microsoft Outlook Express - broken ?? --Impossible!
;)

But seriously, ...
your:

does work.

And I think I understand what's going on now.
~~

When we used the context menu to "Copy Shortcut",
we both got the URL Encoding: #%24ie-%3Econtent
of both the '$' and the '>'.

However, in the HTML source,
the link and the anchor that it's supposed to point to
are, instead:

and

$ie->content</a></h2>

respectively.

That is to say, in the href of the link
both the '$' and '>' are URL-encoded .

However, both in the display of the link,
and in the name of the target anchor,
the '$' is not encoded at all,
and the '>' is encoded rather as an HTLM entity!

'$' is safe (I beleive) and so needn't be encoded at all.

'>', on the other hand, has to be encoded,
in the HTML of course, and I think also as url,
And either the URL-encoding or the HTML-entity encoding would be fine.

It's the using of the one way in the href of the link,
and the other way in the name of the target of the link,
that breaks the connection!

Ditto.

~greg

~greg

Sinan > wrote
I don't know what to make of you.

Sinan,
I wrote the following post just after I read your post.

And if you read it you'll see why I didn't post it then.
And why I decided not to post it at all.

I often write this way.
And almost never post this way.
And I'm sure I'll never do it again here.

But I just I kept thinking about you saying
you don't know what to make of me!

And that started making me feel very lonely.

And that's why I've decided to post this after all.
Just so you'll know what to make of me.

In this one instance anyway.

But please understand me --the temperament that
appears here is not anything that ever lasts in me
for more than a minute.

It just so happened that around the time this thread occurred,
I happened to be searching for something in Google,
and it seemed to me that every single promising looking
hit I followed --- wound up in a empty red-herring like
post - just like Tad's is in this thread.

And that's the whole point I want to make.

All the rest here is "colored bubbles".

follow them so as to maximize the chances of getting useful responses.

Sinan
--
~~~~~~~~~

What is the point of that remark?

Well, Sinan,
What is the point of Tad's contribution to this thread?

Please break out of the little world here for a second
and read it objectively.

It is a nasty, insulting, trivializing, pontificating,
officious -- and - content-wise - a completely
empty thing.

~greg t said:
Gentlemen, I'm old. Me too. Bummer eh?
It would never have occurred to me that explicit
"use strict"
and "use warnings" is a courtesy to others.
Please see the Posting Guidelines that are posted
here frequently.
I will do it from now on.
Thank you.
[ snip TOFU.
Please don't do that either.
]

I had said to you (Sinan) that I will
use the "use..." stuff from now on.

So what was Tad's point in bringing it up again?
right after I said I would?,
- in his quoting me saying so?,
--and in his chiming-in with (--what emoticon?)
"Thank you" ?

(The answer is that he was being passive agressive.)

Morevoer, and more tellingly,
-- I do not find anything at all in Tad's famous guidelines
about "use strict" and "use warnings' !

I had written >>

And he answered:
Please see the Posting Guidelines that are posted
here frequently.

and then:
Thank you.

Is there something, - anything, - specific in his guidelines
that he wanted me to see?

Some generality, perhaps, of obvious applicability
to "use strict" "use warnings"??

Or is his mentioning his guidelines
on every pretext he can think of,
to everyone he can get away with it,
--simply a completely empty mechanical habit with him? .

Is his doing it, therefore, spam?

~~~

I did see one interesting thing in Tad's guidelines.

And you have asked me. So I will tell you.

The meaning of my remark was not the same thing as the point of it.
But the meaning of it was this: ....

Right near the very top of Tad's
"Posting Guidelines for comp.lang.perl.misc ($Revision: 1.7 $)"
it says:

"This newsgroup, commonly called clpmisc,
is a technical newsgroup intended to be used for discussion
of Perl related issues (except job postings), ..."

And near the middle it says:
"Never quote a .signature
(unless that is what you are commenting on)."

And near the bottom it says:

"AUTHOR
Tad McClellan <[email protected]>
and many others on the
comp.lang.perl.misc newsgroup. "

~~

I am now commenting on Tad's .signature.

Note especially the specifically-mentioned parenthetical exception:
"(except job postings)"

Note how it is given pride of place,
right near the very top of Tad's document.

So apparently Tad has written just for himself
some kind of secret-exemption to this rule.

So. Now.
Why does Tad tell everybody to go read his guidelines?

And why does he put "except job postings" right at the top of it?

Well, this is the reason: ...
It's so that any other "SGML consultant" who chances by,
and who wants to follow all "the rules", to be polite,
- will decide not to advertise himself
in the same way that (only) Tad is permitted to do,
in his .signature.

Thus giving Tad the market advantage.

And that's what's called Spam.

The sneaky effort to achieve an unfair market advantage.

~~~

But don't blame me!
I wasn't among the so-called "many others"
involved in the authoring of Tad's "guidelines."

~~~

Now, honestly, I don't care at all about little hypocrisies like that.
(Big ones in the government are much more fun to spot.)

And I don't have any grudge at all against Tad.
Certainly not a personal one.
After all, I only know of him from that single post!
Obviously I am pre-judging him, based on some
past experience with a certain type of character
that that single post reminds me of.

More than that. I do know that Tad has done
a lot of good here. In fact I suspect that he is probably
the most responsible for much of the efficiency of this newsgroup.
- exactly what makes this place such a
pleasure to romp through.

Guidelines are good things.
And I always try to follow them, whether or not I agree with them.

But, having said that, .....

~~~

What, pray tell, was Tad's point in commenting to me
the way he did?
--this way? : ...
Me too. Bummer eh?

That remark would have sounded very different
if it had a clear purpose. Or if it had been
elaborated in some friendly way.

As it stands, though, it is pure monkey business.
It's a razz. It doesn't have any point at all
other than being catty.

And my point, - the one you asked me about,
was simply to respond in-kind!

--- the better to help Tad become a kinder,
gentler old man.

In Peter Jackson's King Kong,
Kong thinks it's so funny the way he keeps knocking
Ann Darrow (Naomi Watts) down. Until she makes him
stop. And then he throws a tantrum. And then a rock
falls on his head. And then, just a few seconds later,
he gets the connection. And he becomes (almost) human.

If you, Sinan, honestly believe that it is ok for Tad to be
as nasty and as irrelevant as he wants to be,
- to any one he so happens to feel like being nasty to

- and if you also honestly believe that it is not ok
for anybody else to respond in-kind to him
--under penalty of being ostracized,
(-- and not just by Tad, and perhaps you,
--but by everybody here --- you two speaking for everybody! ...)

Well, then, Sinan, that is what I would call
"megalomania by proxy".

( Your comment:
"maximize the chances of getting useful responses".
is a blatant euphemism for
"if you don't follow Tad's rules to the letter, you'll be ostracized here".
)

I prefer plain language.

(by the way,
"the guidelines" has it slightly different:
In "the guidelines" it's: "maximize your chances of getting meaningful replies"
-- ie, "meaingful',
- not "useful".
(--the difference is that "useful" is a dime a dozen,
whereas "meaningful" is close to the essence of humanity.)

It's possible, - just possible, --that you, Sinan -- in quoting that, and all,
- were throwing just a Tad-bit of a curve in your post.
But I'll probably never know.)

~~~~

I know it was ... something...., of me to admit that I'm old.

But - quite unlike Tad's monkeying of it
- my saying it had a clear purpose.
Clear enough anyway that you got the point, since
you wrote:
"As I wrote that message, I replaced your script with the
copy-pasted version of my script but gave no indication
of the fact that I had changed a single line in it.
That's my fault."

There is probably a rule about it somewhere.
Something like

"when you add improvements or make corrections
or in any other way alter somebody else's code,
please comment on what you've done, above the code,
so that old people, who don't see so good, and don't
scan so well no more, can better see that a change
has been made, so that they can then better
apportion their dwindling ability to concentrate to better effect."

If there is such a rule, and if I were Tad,
I could say:

"please ****. thank you."

"****" meaning
"(please) Comment Over Changes, (you) Krazy (person!)"
or something equally obvious as that.

I mean really --- if Tad is permitted to tell me:
" [ snip TOFU.
Please don't do that either.
]

making me having to guess that "T" stands for "TOP"
(--which I did immediately, because immediately
after posting the offending "TOFU", when it was too late,
I had already, all by myself, realized the goof .)

- then, certainly, I should be permitted to tell Tad:
"PDMAWOPFFNGR"
(--"Please Don't Monkey Around With Other People's
Feelings For No Good Reason")

So I got the "T" part no problem.

But there is no way that I or anybody else
could ever guess the rest of "TOFU" :
"TOP OVER, FULLQUOTE UNDER".

For one thing, "fullquote" isn't a real word.

So I had to waste my valuable time looking up "TOFU".
(Bean curd.)

Which I bothered doing, - only because I suspected
that the "FU" part meant something quite different.

(Which it probably does, for the cognoscent,
since, again, 'fullquote' isn't a real word.)

Whereas I'd thought that the whole point in having rules in the first place
was to help people avoid wasting other people's time!

~~

I know that Tad is truthful when he tells me that he's old too.
Because this kind of pointless cutesy acronym did once
play a vital role in Usenet. Back when connections were
full-duplex 300 baud over phone lines.

Today however they are more often used
only by obnoxious adolescent cliques,
(And some dwindlingly percentage of us troglodytes.)

As for my "TOFU" blunder
-- I had really thought that it was pretty obvious that I had
simply forgotten, in my hast, to delete the automatically quoted part.
Quite obviously so, to anybody who read the post,
because the bottom quoted part isn't referred to
at all in the "TOP OVER" part.

Being in hast is not a sin.
Spelling mistakes are not a sin.

Posting to newsgroups is not the same thing as publishing
active legal documents.

~~

I have posted perhaps a dozen posts in total to this newsgroup,
over the last 7 years. So I don't know.

Maybe I have made this same mistake before?

If so, then it would mean that it is a persistently bad habit with me.
And, if so, then I would have to be grateful to anybody who
pointed it out and made me stop.

However, when a mistake is made just once, or twice,
it isn't the mistake that wastes people's time.

It is obsessive commenting on this kind of trivia,
- the way that some people seem to be addicted to doing,
for whatever inscrutable pleasure they derive from it,
- that is the greatest waste of our time.

~~~~

But I have to tell you the real reason that I am going on like this!

It is because the greatest frustration in Google newsgroup searching
is clicking on the about 20% of the Re: posts that look promising
for an answer, --only to have to scroll down to one or another
variation on:
"This is not an appropriate question to be asking in this
(read: 'my') newsgroup.
Go ask somewhere else."

Or, for another example, anything like:
" [ snip TOFU.
Please don't do that either.
]

Can't you-all see, those of you who habitually post
blanks like that how much happier the whole world
at large would be if only ---when you have nothing to say,
-- you simply refrained from saying anything?

If everybody did obey my little rule,
then, when I go through a Google return list
and see that a particular post doesn't have
any responses,
- I won't have to waste my time on red herring!

When somebody doesn't get a response in a particular newsgroup,
why can't you-all conceive that they just might be intelligent enough
to figure out for themselves that it's just probably the wrong group
to ask the question in?

If they persist, obviously, then you must tell them.
You must put them out of their misery.

But, honestly, how often does that happen?

No. Some people are just way too-cocked for jumping
on the heads of rules-violators -- for me to believe
them when they say that they are just doing
the rest of us a service.

Because the truth is, clearly, that they derive
some sort of perverse pleasure in playing the
authority and telling people off.

Read Foucault.
"His work concerning power and the relation
between power and knowledge, ...
have been widely discussed and applied...." - Wikipedia.

It's precisely the incessant picayune carping that wastes the most
of people's time. Negative comments are always, whatever their
claimed holy intent, a waste of time. And when they become
too high a percentage in somebody's overall contribution
then, --bummer: -- maybe that person really is just too old
and dried up, and ought to be let out to pasture.

Sinan > wrote
What is the point of that remark?

There was no point, Sinan.
I was joking.
Just responding in-kind to Tad.

ERIKSSON: Pardon me sir, what's your point, sir?

HILL: There ain't no point, Eriksson. I'm simply
trying to illuminate the terrain in which we currently
find ourselves deployed. You don't mind that, do you?
And if you do ...
(- "Casualties of War").

Vietnam was "my" war.

And we had a word
- a rule -
for the way to deal with Taliban-like self-appointed prefects:

"frag 'em".

--
~greg.

(but please understand!
I am old.
And I have just been to the dentist!

And that is, honestly, the only reason
this post sounds the way it does.)

~greg

"sherm" "plonked" me,
but this is for him too...

I completely agree with both of you.

I'm sure you noticed that I retitled this
Off Topic,
--so I have no idea why you read it,
much less why you bothered responding.

I assume it's brotherhood.

Anyway, you two aren't the problem that I was talking about.
I just clicked on a bunch of your posts and they
are almost exclusively technical. I could learn
a lot (a lot technical) from every one of them.
None of them would bother me if they came
up in a google search.
So they aren't the time-wasters I was talking about.

Also, your few nasty comments in your posts
are almost always clearly deserved and relevant
to the posts that they're in response to.
(Even in this case, I admit.)

So. Now.
Please! - Just do me this one favor.
Answer me this:

Tell me why Tad responded to my:
with

Please see the Posting Guidelines that are posted
here frequently.

When there is nothing whatever
in his guidelines about "use strict"
and "use warnings'!

--and when I had immediately added : ...
?

If you can just answer that,
then of course I'll have to take it all back.

(which I'd do anyway if I could.
it posted at 4am.
But that's not your problem. You don't have
a problem. Not with me anyway.

Thank you for righting my boat.

Tad McClellan

~greg said:
Please! - Just do me this one favor.
Answer me this:

Tell me why Tad responded to my:

Because you displayed "good attitude" in your 1st followup, which
is a depressingly rare response, most people gripe about netiquette
rather than responding with the expected "Oh, i didn't know that".

I had actually added you to the "nice people to help" (scored up)
in my scorefile (that changed later).

When there is nothing whatever
in his guidelines about "use strict"
and "use warnings'!

Ask perl to help you
You can ask perl itself to help you find common programming mistakes
by doing two things: enable warnings (perldoc warnings) and enable
"strict"ures (perldoc strict).
--and when I had immediately added : ...

And I did not point you to the guidelines so that you could learn
about those pragmas, you already knew about them.

I figured, here's a guy that _wants_ to be socially acceptable. Oh,
but he doesn't know about top-posting (TOFU), so he probably wants
to know that folks don't like that either...

Tad McClellan

~greg said:
Sinan > wrote

But please understand me --the temperament that
appears here is not anything that ever lasts in me
for more than a minute.

Unfortunately, once the message is sent, you can't undo it.

Be extra cautious when you get upset
Count to ten before composing a followup when you are upset
This is recommended in all Usenet newsgroups. Here in clpmisc, most
flaming sub-threads are not about any feature of Perl at all! They
are most often for what was seen as a breach of netiquette. If you
have lurked for a bit, then you will know what is expected and won't
make such posts in the first place.

But if you get upset, wait a while before writing your followup. I
recommend waiting at least 30 minutes.

Count to ten after composing and before posting when you are upset
After you have written your followup, wait *another* 30 minutes
before committing yourself by posting it. You cannot take it back
once it has been said.

Including what you do for a living in a .sig is not spam, it is
perfectly acceptable tenant of general netiquette.

Well, Sinan,
What is the point of Tad's contribution to this thread?

You found out one of the group's expectations the hard way.

My point was that you could find out most of the rest of them
the easy way.

Please break out of the little world here for a second
and read it objectively.

It is a nasty, insulting, trivializing, pontificating,
officious

Sorry, it was surely not intended as such.

-- and - content-wise - a completely
empty thing.

While using warnings/strict is a Perl-specific element of netiquette
and therefore of limited applicability, avoiding top-posting is
universally accepted across all of Usenet.

I wanted you to know about TOFU before you experienced angst
in other newsgroups as well.

~greg t said:
Gentlemen, I'm old. Me too. Bummer eh?
It would never have occurred to me that explicit
"use strict"
and "use warnings" is a courtesy to others.
Please see the Posting Guidelines that are posted
here frequently.
I will do it from now on.
Thank you.
[ snip TOFU.
Please don't do that either.
]

I had said to you (Sinan) that I will
use the "use..." stuff from now on.

So what was Tad's point in bringing it up again?
right after I said I would?,

I thought you'd smack your head and say:

If only I had known about warnings/strict before posting.

- in his quoting me saying so?,
--and in his chiming-in with (--what emoticon?)
"Thank you" ?

That was truly sincere.

The most common response to "you should use warnings/strict" is:

Don't tell me what to do.

I expected a more pleasant response from you though, based on
the attitude displayed in your first followup.

(The answer is that he was being passive agressive.)

A "conclusion" does not correspond directly to an "answer".

We have experienced yet more miscommunication it would appear.

Is there something, - anything, - specific in his guidelines
that he wanted me to see?

Use an effective followup style
When composing a followup, quote only enough text to establish the
context for the comments that you will add. Always indicate who
wrote the quoted material. Never quote an entire article. Never
quote a .signature (unless that is what you are commenting on).

Intersperse your comments *following* each section of quoted text to
which they relate. Unappreciated followup styles are referred to as
"top-posting", "Jeopardy" (because the answer comes before the
question), or "TOFU" (Text Over, Fullquote Under).

Reversing the chronology of the dialog makes it much harder to
understand (some folks won't even read it if written in that style).
For more information on quoting style, see:

http://web.presby.edu/~nnqadmin/nnq/nquote.html

Some generality, perhaps, of obvious applicability
to "use strict" "use warnings"??

Besides knowing the syntax for them, it might be nice
to peruse their documentation (referenced in the guidelines).

Right near the very top of Tad's
"Posting Guidelines for comp.lang.perl.misc ($Revision: 1.7 $)"

They are not "my" guidelines, they are "our" guidelines.

They were discussed, and agreed upon, over several weeks here.

it says:

"This newsgroup, commonly called clpmisc,
is a technical newsgroup intended to be used for discussion
of Perl related issues (except job postings), ..."

And near the middle it says:
"Never quote a .signature
(unless that is what you are commenting on)."

And near the bottom it says:

"AUTHOR
Tad McClellan <[email protected]>
and many others on the
comp.lang.perl.misc newsgroup. "

~~

I am now commenting on Tad's .signature.

Note especially the specifically-mentioned parenthetical exception:
"(except job postings)"

Note how it is given pride of place,
right near the very top of Tad's document.

So apparently Tad has written just for himself
some kind of secret-exemption to this rule.

I did not post a job posting.

Why does Tad tell everybody to go read his guidelines?

So that they can avoid being silently killfiled.

And why does he put "except job postings" right at the top of it?

Because even Perl-related job postings are not welcomed here.

Well, this is the reason: ...
It's so that any other "SGML consultant" who chances by,
and who wants to follow all "the rules", to be polite,
- will decide not to advertise himself
in the same way that (only) Tad is permitted to do,
in his .signature.

Everyone is permitted to include their job title in their .sig.

They are even permitted outright advertising in their .sig.

If you don't know much about Usenet netiquette, then commenting
on Usenet netiquette is talking out of place...

What, pray tell, was Tad's point in commenting to me
the way he did?
--this way? : ...

It was meant as a witty aside.

That remark would have sounded very different
if it had a clear purpose. Or if it had been
elaborated in some friendly way.

But I can see how it could be interpreted that way. Let me rephrase:

I feel your pain.

I am old too, and it is a drag (but much preferable to the alternative!)

As it stands, though, it is pure monkey business.
It's a razz.

No it isn't. I actually _am_ old.

~greg

Tad> wrote ...
I figured, here's a guy that _wants_ to be socially acceptable. Oh,
but he doesn't know about top-posting (TOFU), so he probably wants
to know that folks don't like that either...

Well, I didn't know.

That instance was a mistake. However,
I have deliberately posted in every which way
in a different, very informal newsgroup.

Google shows the first 3 or 4 lines of posts
in their search-results-listings, so the only
rule that ever made logical sense to me
was to try to make the first few lines
as informative as possible about the rest of the content.

I guess that *would* normally mean from the quoted text!

In any case, I will of course abide.

~~~

But hey, man! - I just wanted to say thank you!

I don't myself have much of it, but I know
real wisdom when I see it.

And it is real wisdom to see when somebody
else's tantrum has nothing to do with you,
-you just happened to be there that's all.

Thank you!

Greg.

Dr.Ruud

~greg schreef:
I am trying to get an InternetExplorer.Application to print out
the whole HTML document as text,
from the <HTML> (or before) to the </HTML>.
(-so as to feed it to a TreeBuilder parse).

Try wget.