    newsgroup, but despite decent activity they seemed to have skipped over
    my questions.

    Thanks.
    John Salerno, Feb 2, 2006

  2. John Salerno

    Toby Inkster Guest

    John Salerno wrote:

    > I tried the m.dreamweaver newsgroup, but despite decent activity they
    > seemed to have skipped over my questions.

    Generally when a question is ignored, it is because it's frequently asked,
    and people are bored of answering it again. If the group has an FAQ
    document, read it. Check the group archives.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Feb 2, 2006

  3. John Salerno

    Steve Pugh Guest

    John Salerno wrote:
    > I have a couple of questions, but I'd rather not be presumptuous and ask
    > them without the go-ahead from you guys. I tried the m.dreamweaver
    > newsgroup, but despite decent activity they seemed to have skipped over
    > my questions.

    I use DW8 (and love/hate it) so there's at least one person here who
    might be able to answer your questions.

    the macromedia.* groups are only really meant to be accessed via
    Macromedia's own forums. If you access them via Usenet (or Google
    Groups) then you can read all the posts but any posts you make will
    only show up to other Usenet users - the great bulk of users in those
    groups are using the marcomedia forums and only see posts from other
    forum users.

    Steve
    Steve Pugh, Feb 2, 2006
  4. Steve Pugh wrote:
    > I use DW8 (and love/hate it) so there's at least one person here who
    > might be able to answer your questions.
    > the macromedia.* groups are only really meant to be accessed via
    > Macromedia's own forums. If you access them via Usenet (or Google
    > Groups) then you can read all the posts but any posts you make will
    > only show up to other Usenet users - the great bulk of users in those
    > groups are using the marcomedia forums and only see posts from other
    > forum users.

    Interesting, I have never had a problems reading or posting (getting a
    reply to my posts) from usenet. Maybe I just never bothered to really
    pay attention where the replys were coming from.

    Good info steve.
    Travis Newbury, Feb 2, 2006
  5. John Salerno

    John Salerno Guest

    Steve Pugh wrote:
    > John Salerno wrote:
    >> I have a couple of questions, but I'd rather not be presumptuous and ask
    >> them without the go-ahead from you guys. I tried the m.dreamweaver
    >> newsgroup, but despite decent activity they seemed to have skipped over
    >> my questions.

    > I use DW8 (and love/hate it) so there's at least one person here who
    > might be able to answer your questions.
    >
    > the macromedia.* groups are only really meant to be accessed via
    > Macromedia's own forums. If you access them via Usenet (or Google
    > Groups) then you can read all the posts but any posts you make will
    > only show up to other Usenet users - the great bulk of users in those
    > groups are using the marcomedia forums and only see posts from other
    > forum users.
    >
    > Steve

    Thanks, I didn't realize that.
    John Salerno, Feb 2, 2006
  6. John Salerno

    John Salerno Guest

    Steve Pugh wrote:

    > I use DW8 (and love/hate it) so there's at least one person here who
    > might be able to answer your questions.

    Ok, I will post my two questions then:

    1. I'm a little confused with how Dreamweaver handles
    templates. What I'd like to do is create a simple template that contains
    *only* the markup I put in it, and have this template be available when
    I choose to create a new HTML file. How do I do this?

    The only templates I've been able to create so far have some strange
    Dreamweaver code added to it, and in some cases it has commented out
    most of my own template.

    2. I'd like for my markup to be automatically indented and outdented as
    follows:

    1. After pressing enter on a line with an opening tag but no closing
    tag, the next line is indented.
    2. After pressing enter on a line with an opening and closing tag, the
    next line is flush with the previous line.
    3. After typing the beginning of a closing tag ("</"> as the first
    characters of a line, the line is outdented to the previous tab stop.

    This seems like simple functionality, but I can't find any options for
    it. The only kind of auto-indenting that I see at work is that once you
    manually indent a line, then Dreamweaver keeps that indentation until
    you manually outdent again.

    Is there a way to fine-tune this to the above rules?

    Thanks.
    John Salerno, Feb 2, 2006
  7. John Salerno

    Steve Pugh Guest

    John Salerno wrote:

    > 1. I'm a little confused with how Dreamweaver handles
    > templates. What I'd like to do is create a simple template that contains
    > *only* the markup I put in it, and have this template be available when
    > I choose to create a new HTML file. How do I do this?

    Use the options from the Insert > Template Object menu to create a
    template with editable regions, optional regions, repeating regions and
    so on. Save the resulting .dwt file. When you want to create a page
    based on that template select the Template tab from the File > New
    dialogue box and pick the template you want to use.

    You'll then be able to add copy, etc. the editable regions (note that
    to use some template features such as repeating regions you'll need to
    be in Design View). Code outside of editable regions can not be edited.
    By editing the template you will be offered the option to update all
    pages based on that template.

    > The only templates I've been able to create so far have some strange
    > Dreamweaver code added to it,

    The only code DW adds to templates are comments that it uses internally
    to marke the start and end of editable regions, etc. If you absolutely
    don't want any additional code in your templates then you'll have to
    save them as normal HTML files and use cut and paste / search and
    replace.

    > and in some cases it has commented out most of my own template.

    When a page uses a template the code outside of editable regions is
    locked and can not be edited - it is displayed in the same grey colour
    as comments but is not in fact commented out.

    > 2. I'd like for my markup to be automatically indented and outdented as
    > follows:
    >
    > 1. After pressing enter on a line with an opening tag but no closing
    > tag, the next line is indented.
    > 2. After pressing enter on a line with an opening and closing tag, the
    > next line is flush with the previous line.
    > 3. After typing the beginning of a closing tag ("</"> as the first
    > characters of a line, the line is outdented to the previous tab stop.

    Edit > Preferences > Code Format contains some basic options.You can
    use the Tag Library Editor (linked at the bottom of that dialogue) to
    specify rules for new lines and indenting of individual elements. Not
    sure how close to what you want you can get. Personally, I either don't
    bother or just use Commands > Apply Source Formatting to give some
    basic structure to the code.

    Steve
    Steve Pugh, Feb 2, 2006
  8. John Salerno

    John Salerno Guest

    Steve Pugh wrote:

    > Use the options from the Insert > Template Object menu to create a
    > template with editable regions, optional regions, repeating regions and
    > so on. Save the resulting .dwt file. When you want to create a page
    > based on that template select the Template tab from the File > New
    > dialogue box and pick the template you want to use.
    >
    > You'll then be able to add copy, etc. the editable regions (note that
    > to use some template features such as repeating regions you'll need to
    > be in Design View). Code outside of editable regions can not be edited.
    > By editing the template you will be offered the option to update all
    > pages based on that template.

    Thanks for the help. I think it was the "regions" that I was trying to
    keep out of my template, but maybe I should read up on their value
    before I disregard them. But I'd also like to make sure that I can still
    edit anything in the template...I don't know if I like the idea of my
    markup being locked.
    John Salerno, Feb 2, 2006
  9. John Salerno

    Steve Pugh Guest

    John Salerno wrote:
    > Steve Pugh wrote:
    >
    > > Use the options from the Insert > Template Object menu to create a
    > > template with editable regions, optional regions, repeating regions and
    > > so on. Save the resulting .dwt file. When you want to create a page
    > > based on that template select the Template tab from the File > New
    > > dialogue box and pick the template you want to use.
    > >
    > > You'll then be able to add copy, etc. the editable regions (note that
    > > to use some template features such as repeating regions you'll need to
    > > be in Design View). Code outside of editable regions can not be edited.
    > > By editing the template you will be offered the option to update all
    > > pages based on that template.

    > Thanks for the help. I think it was the "regions" that I was trying to
    > keep out of my template, but maybe I should read up on their value
    > before I disregard them.

    Without editable regions all pages created from a template will be
    identical because there will be nothing that can differe from the
    template. Not much use really.

    > But I'd also like to make sure that I can still
    > edit anything in the template...I don't know if I like the idea of my
    > markup being locked.

    You can edit the template to update the common markup, and that will
    update all pages based on that template. I think there's an option to
    allow entire pages to be edited, but in that case I don't know what
    happens when the template is updated. Maybe if you told us how you
    would like to use templates we can tell you whether DW's templating
    system is right for you.

    Steve
    Steve Pugh, Feb 2, 2006
  10. John Salerno

    John Salerno Guest

    Steve Pugh wrote:

    > Maybe if you told us how you
    > would like to use templates we can tell you whether DW's templating
    > system is right for you.

    Yeah, that might help. Basically I just want to be able to start with
    some pre-defined markup, like the DTD, the <head> and <body> tags, etc.
    But I'd like all this to simply be text in my document that I can change
    if I want. Here's what I use right now when I make a new file:

    -------------------

    <head>
    <title></title>
    </head>

    --------------------

    In some cases I also have extra <meta> tags that are commented out, in
    case I'd like to uncomment them and use them. Also, I always need to put
    in a title, so I can't have that part "locked".

    Maybe this is too simple for DW templates.
    John Salerno, Feb 2, 2006
  11. John Salerno

    Steve Pugh Guest

    John Salerno wrote:
    > Steve Pugh wrote:
    >
    > > Maybe if you told us how you
    > > would like to use templates we can tell you whether DW's templating
    > > system is right for you.

    > Yeah, that might help. Basically I just want to be able to start with
    > some pre-defined markup, like the DTD, the <head> and <body> tags, etc.
    > But I'd like all this to simply be text in my document that I can change
    > if I want. Here's what I use right now when I make a new file:
    >
    > -------------------

    > <head>
    > <title></title>
    > </head>

    > --------------------
    >
    > In some cases I also have extra <meta> tags that are commented out, in
    > case I'd like to uncomment them and use them.

    That sounds like a DW optional region. The meta tags would be in the
    template but would only appear in generated pages when the user chooses
    to make them appear (via the Modify > Template Properties menu),
    otherwise they don't appear at all. This is perhaps better than having
    them always present but commented out. So long as the page is
    associated with a particular template, any optional region in that
    template can be included in the page at any future date. By putting an
    editable region inside an optional region, you can have sections that
    optionally appear and which can be edited once they have been included.

    > Also, I always need to put
    > in a title, so I can't have that part "locked".

    Whenever you make a template in DW the title element is by default
    turned into an editable region. You would need to choose to make the
    title locked at the template design stage, which obviously you wouldn't
    do.

    > Maybe this is too simple for DW templates.

    Looks more like what you want to do is change the default document
    created when File > New is invoked. That can be done but IIRC not via
    the DW interface but by editing files somewhere within the DW
    configuration. I haven't done this for a couple of versions so I can't
    give specific instructions.

    Steve
    Steve Pugh, Feb 3, 2006
  12. John Salerno

    John Salerno Guest

    Steve Pugh wrote:

    > Edit > Preferences > Code Format contains some basic options.You can
    > use the Tag Library Editor (linked at the bottom of that dialogue) to
    > specify rules for new lines and indenting of individual elements. Not
    > sure how close to what you want you can get. Personally, I either don't
    > bother or just use Commands > Apply Source Formatting to give some
    > basic structure to the code.

    Hmm, perhaps the Tag Library is the way to go to do what I want to do,
    but there doesn't seem to be a way to make changes that affect all tags
    at once. I would have to choose each tag individually and keep making
    the same changes to them all.
    John Salerno, Feb 3, 2006