Does anyone know How did swing get its name?

java_typhoon

hi,
i am a student of bsc csc...currently i am studying java
Does anyone know How did swing get its name?
regards........

Monique Y. Mudama

hi, i am a student of bsc csc...currently i am studying java Does
anyone know How did swing get its name? regards........

I think it had something to do with a swing set ...

What's bsc csc?

Thomas Hawtin

java_typhoon said:
i am a student of bsc csc...currently i am studying java
Does anyone know How did swing get its name?

Originally it was just part of JFC. IIRC, the name Swing comes from the
type of music used for introducing a presentation of the project,
probably at JavaOne.

Tom Hawtin

Ian Pilcher

java_typhoon said:
hi,
i am a student of bsc csc...currently i am studying java
Does anyone know How did swing get its name?
regards........

Software
Widget
Interface
Next
Generation

(I just made that up.)

Thomas Hawtin

Monique said:
Odd. I've only ever seen Bachelor of Science abbreviated as B.S.
(which seems oddly appropriate ...)

Depends where you got it. In the UK it's B.Sc. (for instance, I have a
B.Sc.). America is full of B.S.

Tom Hawtin

Monique Y. Mudama

Bachelor of science in Computer Science, I'd imagine.

Odd. I've only ever seen Bachelor of Science abbreviated as B.S.
(which seems oddly appropriate ...)

Roedy Green

i am a student of bsc csc...currently i am studying java
Does anyone know How did swing get its name?

according to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_computer_term_etymologies

Swing - a graphics library for Java.
Swing was the code-name of the project that developed the new graphic
components (the successor of AWT). It was named after swing, a style
of dance band jazz that was popularized in the 1930s and unexpectedly
revived in the 1990s. Although an unofficial name for the components,
it gained popular acceptance with the use of the word in the package
names for the Swing API, which begin with javax.swing.

java_typhoon

Hi,
thanks for the answer
And bsc means Bachelor of Science
csc means Computer Science
Regards....

Oliver Wong

java_typhoon said:
hi,
i am a student of bsc csc...currently i am studying java
Does anyone know How did swing get its name?
regards........

I asked Jeff Dinkins that question, and he said:

<quote>
Originally the manager of the team temporarily (and jokingly) calling the
toolkit "KFC" -- he said to ensure that we'd name it something better. :)

Soon after we were at Hobees restaurant in Cupertino brainstorming about a
new name. At some point, Amy Fowler (the project lead) asked Georges Saab (a
young, hip engineer on the project) what were some of the upcoming trends
with the "in" crowd in San Francisco.

Georges said that Swing dancing was making a big comeback. We loved it. When
we got back I did a global search and replace on KFC to Swing, and the rest
is history.
</quote>

- Oliver