  1. Jack

    Jack Guest

    i keep getting error when i try to connect to remote MSDE server

    Jack, Aug 8, 2005

  2. Jack

    Damien Guest

    Jack wrote:
    > i keep getting error when i try to connect to remote MSDE server

    You wouldn't want to give us a hint would you, like what actual error
    message you're seeing perhaps?

    By default, MSDE installs without any networking enabled. Did you pass
    DISABLENETWORKPROTOCOLS=0 to setup.exe when you installed?

    Without any more info from you, that's the best I can do.

    Damien

    Damien, Aug 8, 2005

  3. Jack

    Jack Guest

    "You have entered an internet address or an IP address outside the local
    domain. Connection to Internet addresses or to external domains are not
    supported"

    sorry.

    No, i didn't pass disablenetworkprotocols=0 to setup.exe...i already setup
    the MSDE instance. is it possbile to chang eit?

    Jack, Aug 8, 2005
  4. Jack

    Damien Guest

    Jack wrote:
    > "You have entered an internet address or an IP address outside the local
    > domain. Connection to Internet addresses or to external domains are not
    > supported"
    >
    > sorry.
    >
    > No, i didn't pass disablenetworkprotocols=0 to setup.exe...i already setup
    > the MSDE instance. is it possbile to chang eit?

    Well, as it happens, I have the sense of it the wrong way around (it
    should be =1 not =0), but the point still stands - As to changing it on
    an existing instance, I'm not sure (this is why I've crossposted to
    microsoft.public.sqlserver.msde)

    Once we have that side of things sorted, what are you using to connect
    to it? Enterprise Manager, Query Analyser, ADO.NET?

    HTH,

    Damien

    Damien, Aug 8, 2005