Does Anyone Recommend Addition of MSIE7 To Development Environment?

Patient Guy

The question in the subject seems plain to me. I wonder if
EMCAscript/Javascript developers should even bother adding IE7 even to the
clients in which to test script/code.

The same goes for any web document, interactive/dynamic or otherwise,
developer: does IE7 finally get CSS right, and to what level?

Peter Michaux

Patient said:
The question in the subject seems plain to me. I wonder if
EMCAscript/Javascript developers should even bother adding IE7 even to the
clients in which to test script/code.

Yes of of course.

IE 7 is already being used by many people and if you want your scripts
to last then IE 7 will be very important. Just today I had to fix a
legacy script that broke in IE 7.

These links are just to give a general idea that IE 7 is currently
important to some people.

<http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp>

<http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/articles/gbs/gbs_browser-chart.html>

Peter

Richard Cornford

Patient said:
The question in the subject seems plain to me.

Maybe it does but on Usenet it is inappropriate to assume that all
readers have access to the subject header, and so questions should
always appear in the message body.
I wonder if EMCAscript/Javascript developers should even bother
adding IE7 even to the clients in which to test script/code.

Microsoft will be delivering IE 7 with new OSs (in the sense of future
OSs and new versions/releases of current OSs) so not testing with IE 7
should not even be considered an option in a commercial context.
The same goes for any web document, interactive/dynamic or otherwise,
developer:

Yes it probably does.
does IE7 finally get CSS right, and to what level?

This is a javascript newsgroup and so the general discussion of CSS
conformance belongs elsewhere.

Richard.

Patient Guy

Patient Guy wrote:

This is a javascript newsgroup and so the general discussion of CSS
conformance belongs elsewhere.

Then let's re-phrase the question for the lawyers in the group:

For those who are able and want to affect properties of the style object in
Javascript/ECMAscript, whose naming is identical to properties specified in
CSS, does the presentation of the style of the document conform to the CSS
specification as it is interfaced through Javascript/ECMAscript, and to
what degree does it conform to any specification?

Peter Michaux

Patient said:
Then let's re-phrase the question for the lawyers in the group:

For those who are able and want to affect properties of the style object in
Javascript/ECMAscript, whose naming is identical to properties specified in
CSS, does the presentation of the style of the document conform to the CSS
specification as it is interfaced through Javascript/ECMAscript, and to
what degree does it conform to any specification?

The lawyers are going to pounce.

Peter

(z-index vs. zIndex)

Yuri Nassol

Peter Michaux said:
The lawyers are going to pounce.

Peter

(z-index vs. zIndex)

Why? I have made the question of style relevant to Javascript/ECMAscript
now. What does it matter if I ask for how the effects of directing the
style of a document are achieved whether through scripting or through the
direct use of CSS, and whether it conforms to the specifications of style
which scripters expect to see? Thus scripters must know the styling
specification when they make use of its interface.

Randy Webb

Yuri Nassol said the following on 12/15/2006 2:31 AM:

Because that is how anal retentive lawyers operate. All you did was fall
for the trap.
I have made the question of style relevant to Javascript/ECMAscript
now.

Actually, you didn't.
What does it matter if I ask for how the effects of directing the
style of a document are achieved whether through scripting or through the
direct use of CSS, and whether it conforms to the specifications of style
which scripters expect to see?

Neither is relevant. A better question is "Is there anything in the
foreseeable future that might alleviate the problems in scripting
styles, whether it be from ECMA or the W3C?"
Thus scripters must know the styling specification when they make use
of its interface.

z-Index says that is an incorrect statement. As does background-color in
CSS.