Does changing .NET version on one virtual directory force IIS to restart?

MarkusJNZ

Hi, I have two different applications running on 2003 both in two
different vitrual directories. One application runs on the .NET
framework 1.1 whilst the other runs on 2.0.

If I change the framework version (via IIS admin ASP.NET tab) for
either application (Initally the 2.0 app was recognised by IIS as 1.1)
does this force IIS to restart?

?? Any links to further reading would be good.

Thanks
Markus

Juan T. Llibre

re:
If I change the framework version (via IIS admin ASP.NET tab) for
either application (Initally the 2.0 app was recognised by IIS as 1.1)
does this force IIS to restart?

No.

IIS5 did not use Application Pools (they were introduced in IIS6).

IIS5 used Low (IIS process) and Medium (pooled) and High (isolated)
methods of differentiating between the equivalent of what in IIS 6.0
is called worker processes, by hosting apps in separate Dllhost.exe processes.

If your apps are running in the same IIS process ( Low ), they would
all start new worker threads, which is not the same as restarting IIS.

When an application is configured to run out-of-process ( medium or high ),
only the particular Dllhost.exe process in which the app is running would
be restarted, so the restart of IIS is -again- not required.

IIS 5 and 5.1 are both capable of running both ASP.NET 1.1 and ASP.NET 2.0
applications without the need to isolate them in their own processes.

Under IIS 6.0, since you have Application Pools, you can restart the app's Application
Pool, if the App is already in its own App Pool, instead of restarting the whole of IIS.

Any other App Pools don't need to be restarted.

If the App is in a pool shared with other apps, however, you might have to create
a different App Pool in order to be able to run your app, since you cannot
run ASP.NET 1.1 and ASP.NET 2.0 apps in the same App Pool.

That would force a restart of *those* two App Pools, but any other
App Pools can continue to run. IIS doesn't have to be restarted as a whole.

So, the answer is : no, IIS doesn't have to be restarted.

For good measure, though, I would restart IIS and give the server a fresh start.
I supose you're not switching apps from 1.1 to 2.0 too frequently, are you ?

;-)

MarkusJNZ

Thanks Yuan, lol, no, we are not switching apps from 1.1 to 2.0 too
frequently :)
Thanks again
Mark

MarkusJNZ

Thanks Juan, lol, no, we are not switching apps from 1.1 to 2.0 too
frequently :)
Thanks again
Markus