    your developement sometimes.

    -Trevor

    , Aug 15, 2006

    wrote:
    > Hey all, so my customer uses a really old version of the Sun Java
    > interpreter "j2re-1_4_0_01". I would like to use the eclipse IDE to
    > develope my code but I don't think the eclipse compiler "ECJ" will
    > compile in a form that is understood by the Sun interpreter. Is this
    > assumption correct?
    >
    > Assuming I am correct, I bet I could at the very least use eclipse as a
    > text editor of sorts and then use the Sun compiler? (This way I could
    > still have some advantage of the Eclipse IDE.)
    >
    > I am not too overly attached to fancy IDE's but they do help speed up
    > your developement sometimes.

    Absolutely! Eclipse is an invaluable for Java development IMO. Just
    having a tool that will allow you to easily navigate through the code
    base is a big help to start with.
    If Eclipse doesn't work with your version of Java for some reason, then
    you can always build your code for deployment with ant, using your
    required compiler. Eclipse even has integration with ant built in.

    , Aug 15, 2006

  3. Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <>,
    ('') wrote:

    > Hey all, so my customer uses a really old version of the Sun Java
    > interpreter "j2re-1_4_0_01". I would like to use the eclipse IDE to
    > develope my code but I don't think the eclipse compiler "ECJ" will
    > compile in a form that is understood by the Sun interpreter. Is this
    > assumption correct?

    Works fine with Sun's j2sdk 1.4.2; in fact that's what I mostly use.

    'there are no solutions, only precipitates'

    Simon Brooke, Aug 15, 2006
  4. wrote:
    > Hey all, so my customer uses a really old version of the Sun Java
    > interpreter "j2re-1_4_0_01".

    AFAIR, that JRE would be afflicted with a particularly
    nasty security bug. The user should investigate
    immediately, and probably upgrade to a 1.5 auto
    updating JRE while they are at it.

    Andrew T.

    Andrew Thompson, Aug 15, 2006

    Thanks so much for the help! But now that opens more questions!

    > you can always build your code for deployment with ant, using your
    > required compiler. Eclipse even has integration with ant built in.

    Ya so far as I understand it ANT is a way of controlling what gets
    compiled
    and is similiar to a makefile. It sounds like ANT can do more than
    a makefile,
    right?

    Secondly, to use eclipse with j2re 1.4.0.01 would I just have to change
    the
    compiler/paths/etc?

    Would I only have to change these settings in ANT?

    Also in the IBM eclipse documentation it says that it compiles
    everything to support JDK 1.3. Does this mean I am fine using eclipse
    without changing anything?

    , Aug 15, 2006

    In the documentation it says:
    Compiler compliance level / Specifies the JDK compiler compliance level
    / 1.3

    So by default shouldn't I be fine?

    , Aug 15, 2006

    wrote:
    > Thanks so much for the help! But now that opens more questions!
    >
    > > you can always build your code for deployment with ant, using your
    > > required compiler. Eclipse even has integration with ant built in.

    > Ya so far as I understand it ANT is a way of controlling what gets
    > compiled
    > and is similiar to a makefile. It sounds like ANT can do more than
    > a makefile,
    > right?

    If you're doing any serious Java development I'd recommend getting
    familiar with Ant. It performs a similar function to Make, but much
    more tailored to Java and the way Java code is organised. It can
    package up your code ready for deployment. You can also extend the
    functionality of Ant.

    > Secondly, to use eclipse with j2re 1.4.0.01 would I just have to change
    > the
    > compiler/paths/etc?

    Yes, you can configure Eclipse to use any particular Jdk, and switch
    between them. I have several available in my Eclipse workspace, ranging
    from 1.3 to 1.5.

    > Would I only have to change these settings in ANT?

    Well in our development environment, we develop/test the code in
    Eclipse, and use separate ant buildconfig files to run Ant and build
    the code for deployment. The compiler version we use for Ant is
    specified in a properties file.

    , Aug 15, 2006
  8. Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <>,
    ('') wrote:

    > Thanks so much for the help! But now that opens more questions!
    >
    >> you can always build your code for deployment with ant, using your
    >> required compiler. Eclipse even has integration with ant built in.

    > Ya so far as I understand it ANT is a way of controlling what gets
    > compiled
    > and is similiar to a makefile. It sounds like ANT can do more than
    > a makefile,
    > right?

    Conceptually similar but not functionally similar. You can't actually
    do /more/ than a makefile, because I'm pretty sure _make_ is turing
    complete; but ant certainly makes a lot of things easier.

    > Also in the IBM eclipse documentation it says that it compiles
    > everything to support JDK 1.3. Does this mean I am fine using eclipse
    > without changing anything?

    Yes.

    ;; my other religion is Emacs

    Simon Brooke, Aug 15, 2006