Does FullText warning mean any update to text field will not be reflected?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by John Kotuby, Apr 18, 2008.

  1. John Kotuby

    John Kotuby Guest

    Hi all,

    Maybe this belongs in the Full Text group but I am writing an ASP.NET
    application with a SQL Server 2005 backend, so I am posing the question
    here.

    I have been using fulltext search on a text field for a while because
    originally the field was only being updated nightly and I could
    repopulate/rebuild the index nightly. Now I will be allowing users to Update
    the field in real-time. I am using a simple Update SQL statement to modify
    the contents of that field.

    Does the warning below mean that a fulltext search performed on the field
    after a simple Update will not reflect the changes?

    I would hate to have to go back to a LIKE syntax on the field as CONTAINS
    seems to work better and faster, especially when multiple keywords are used
    in the search.

    The syntax I used to create the index is as follows:
    CREATE FULLTEXT INDEX ON dbo.List_Summary (summary, List_Name1 )
    KEY INDEX PK_List_Summary ON PCFullTextCatalog
    WITH CHANGE_TRACKING AUTO

    Warning: Table or indexed view 'dbo.List_Summary' has full-text indexed
    columns that are of type image, text, or ntext. Full-text change tracking
    cannot track WRITETEXT or UPDATETEXT operations performed on these columns.

    Do I have a problem here by allowing real-time Updates of the text field? If
    so, is there a way to make sure the index gets updated after the Update
    statement?

    There may be as many as 20 or 30 users running searches simultaneously, so
    of course I am concerned about concurrency if I must rebuild the index with
    every update.

    Thanks for any help with this.
    John Kotuby, Apr 18, 2008

  2. John Kotuby

    bruce barker Guest

    RE: Does FullText warning mean any update to text field will not be re

    it means if you use writetext or update text staments (which allow partial
    updates of the field data) then the index is not update. if you use insert or
    update statements then the index is updated.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Apr 18, 2008

  3. John Kotuby

    John Kotuby Guest

    Re: Does FullText warning mean any update to text field will not be re

    Thanks Bruce,
    that is what I was hoping for.

    John Kotuby, Apr 19, 2008