Does GridView paging feature limit number of records coming back from database?

Ronald S. Cook

I was told that if calling lots of records from the database (let's say
100,000), that the GridView's paging feature would automatically "handle"
everything.

But the 100,000 records are still coming to the client, right? I mean, the
paging feature isn't somehow making calls to the database for 25 records at
a time or anything like that is it?

I remember in the past having to write nasty stored procedures that took in
what the last record was and how many to return to manually handle this sort
of thing without dumping 100,000 records all at once.

But does the GridView's paging feature truly do this?

Thanks for any insight,
Ron

Chris Taylor

Hi,

You are correct, the standard paging does not reduce the server side result
set. And you need to use custom paging to achieve a more optimal solution
esp. for very large result sets. Of course SQL Server 2005 offers very nice
feature to support paging of queries.

Hope this helps

thakur.vipan

you can use dataset for such a feature
in .net 2005 it supports
you can call da.fill(ds,starting indx, number of records ,and
somenthin)

Guest

--
Chris Taylorhttp://dotnetjunkies.com/weblog/chris.taylor

Note, the GridView does an optimized paging with the ObjectDataSource
control.

How Paging Works in the GridView Control
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/5aw1xfh3.aspx