Does IsInRole() grab just Groups? Can I get Organizational Units?

Craig Vedur

Hey,

I posted before about IsInRole and was told if you do Windows Authentication
with Identity Impersonation, you can check against security groups. However,
the LDAP is separated into Organizational Units. I did a test and am
assuming IsInRole() will not test for OU membership? Can anyone confirm this?

I guess the only way to check for OU membership is to traverse a
DirectoryEntry root w/ System.DirectoryServices.dll

Can anyone help w/ this?

Thanks

Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]

Hello Craig,

no - IsInRole checks for the security groups a user is member of.

Joe Kaplan \(MVP - ADSI\)

Yes, you must do an LDAP query to get OU information. This seems like a
weird thing to do though. Are you sure you need this?

OUs are typically created to organize users for group policy and delegation
of administration. Making security decisions based on a user's OU isn't the
intent.

Joe K.

Patrick.O.Ige

Hmm.. As Joe Adviced i don't think u need OU's
What you need i think is ROLES.
Patrick