Does-it exist any hosting directory which indicates Perl version ?

Yohan N Leder

Do you know a site which indicate the Perl version of the hosters ?

Of course, knowing that not any list can list *all* hosters... But the
fact is that all the lists I've seen until now, just say "cgi" as if it
automatically implies the presence of a Perl interpreter ; and always
without any indication about version, knowing there still some with
quite old interpreter (like <5.6) on which a lot of Perl CGI scripts
don't work.

Even if there's not any Perl code question here, it's a real Perl
question, just because it sounds like nobody seems to be concerned by
Perl unless the developers who use Perl themselves ; I've already tried
to ask this kind of question in some hosting-oriented forum and it
doesn't interest anybody (every one is just crazy with PHP, nothing
more)... So, maybe here I'll get real info, real opinion and maybe some
URL about some hosting diretories which take care of Perl info.

usenet

Yohan said:
Do you know a site which indicate the Perl version of the hosters ?

There is no database or website with that information, if that's what
you're asking. Most hosting providers provide the Perl version that
shipped with the particular version of the operating system that is
installed on the server. It is possible that a host provider may have
different user accounts on different servers with different versions of
Perl. Providers may upgrade or reconfigure their servers at any time.

If you are interested in a particular provider, ask them what version
of Perl they offer.

Yohan N Leder

If you are interested in a particular provider, ask them what version
of Perl they offer.

We agree, the fact is that we have to ask, rather than just read on a
displayed description. Also, a lot don't upgrade (and don't want to)
from time to time (we use ten hosting company for different things at
this time and one use Perl 5.5, five 5.6 and just the rest 5.8).

However it exists a lot of directories and comparaison pages about
hosting companies, but not any with Perl version information.