Does it exist? Free Java Motion Detection Library

Luc The Perverse

Hi I would like to design a home surveillance system which uses ethernet and
USB cameras.

I want to use motion detection to prevent returning useless feeds of
movies/stills which have nothing happening. I believe the key to sucessful
motion detection is detecting discrete differences (IE individual moving
bodies) rather than simply an aggregate of some numerical representation of
two image deltas. Easy in principle - but I have no idea how to begin
coding that. Perhaps simple statistics - and randomly distributed pixel
deltas are ignored?

Anyway - I was wondering if there were some quality free Java libraries for
motion detection - preferably open source.

My camera becomes exceptionally unpredictable in low light/no light - it
returns a faint static like image.

Any ideas?

Knute Johnson

Luc said:
My camera becomes exceptionally unpredictable in low light/no light - it
returns a faint static like image.

That's the noise in the camera and that is going to be the biggest
problem that you face I think.
Any ideas?

Not a one but if you learn anything interesting, please pass it along.

Thanks,

Luc The Perverse

Knute Johnson said:
That's the noise in the camera and that is going to be the biggest problem
that you face I think.

Not a one but if you learn anything interesting, please pass it along.

Thanks,

My intuition tells me there is a way to measure the chaos of a change in a
picture and random distribution of pixel changes. Of course, I'm sure that
if your camera were watching a crowd of thousands of hustling people this
chaos number would be increased as well.

I have used software packages which handle this type of thing efficiently,
and some that are downright aweful (900 MB of black pictures comes to mind
from a night I left the program running.)

Roedy Green

My camera becomes exceptionally unpredictable in low light/no light - it
returns a faint static like image.

I wrote a system to control a bank of surveillance cameras. Usually
the came hardware does the motion detection. We ended up doing the
motion detect for dumb cameras using C. I was not involved in that
part. Both kinds of camera looked the same by the time they got to my
software.

Luc The Perverse

Roedy Green said:
I wrote a system to control a bank of surveillance cameras. Usually
the came hardware does the motion detection. We ended up doing the
motion detect for dumb cameras using C. I was not involved in that
part. Both kinds of camera looked the same by the time they got to my
software.

ok . . . but why C?

I'm getting the idea that no good motion detection libraries are openly
available in Java or someone would have heard of one.

Roedy Green

ok . . . but why C?

I think it was the availability of a high speed image processing
library. The server software was written in C, so it would fit in
better. This software had to run on the server side. The guy in
charge was more familiar with C and he wrote that part.

Luke Meyers

Luc said:
Anyway - I was wondering if there were some quality free Java libraries for
motion detection - preferably open source.

Any ideas?

I think you'll probably have more luck framing it as a "computer
vision" problem than a "motion detection" problem. The former is an
active field of research, the latter more of a particular application,
often implemented in hardware (e.g. IR, not just video cameras).
Googling the first one may be more fruitful -- there's bound to be some
published libraries used in research or something, at the very least.

Of course, it might not be in Java, but that's an orthogonal
constraint, really.

Luke (also perverse)