Does JavaMail "connect" require a password?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Mickey Segal, Feb 28, 2007.

  1. Mickey Segal

    Mickey Segal Guest

    According to
    http://java.sun.com/products/javamail/javadocs/com/sun/mail/smtp/package-summary.html, a
    method used for JavaMail requires a password:

    tr.connect(smtphost, username, password);

    I had dutifully included the appropriate password, but today found that my
    hosting company had changed the password with no prior notice. While
    testing to see what functionality of the domain they had blithely disabled,
    I was surprised to find that JavaMail still worked, even with the defunct
    password.

    Are there conditions under which the JavaMail ignores the password in the
    connect method, or is there something strange going on here?

    A few weeks ago I changed the first parameter of the connect method to
    "localhost" as a workaround for a glitch in which the server suddenly
    started delaying regular email for hours and intermittently not sending
    JavaMail at all. The hosting company suggested using "localhost" as the
    first parameter in the connect method as a workaround for the unexplained
    flakiness of their servers. I don't know if this removes the need for a
    password.

    Mickey Segal, Feb 28, 2007

  2. Mickey Segal

    none Guest

    Mickey Segal wrote:
    > According to
    > http://java.sun.com/products/javamail/javadocs/com/sun/mail/smtp/package-summary.html, a
    > method used for JavaMail requires a password:
    >
    > tr.connect(smtphost, username, password);
    >
    > I had dutifully included the appropriate password, but today found that my
    > hosting company had changed the password with no prior notice. While
    > testing to see what functionality of the domain they had blithely disabled,
    > I was surprised to find that JavaMail still worked, even with the defunct
    > password.
    >
    > Are there conditions under which the JavaMail ignores the password in the
    > connect method, or is there something strange going on here?
    >
    > A few weeks ago I changed the first parameter of the connect method to
    > "localhost" as a workaround for a glitch in which the server suddenly
    > started delaying regular email for hours and intermittently not sending
    > JavaMail at all. The hosting company suggested using "localhost" as the
    > first parameter in the connect method as a workaround for the unexplained
    > flakiness of their servers. I don't know if this removes the need for a
    > password.

    does your host use stmp auth? or is authentication just required for
    pop/imap access?
    Could this be that your host's smtp server is badly configured to allow
    non authenticated users to send email?

    Without checking smtp, i guess javamail won't send the password if the
    provider is not challenged.

    Tim

    none, Mar 1, 2007

  3. Mickey Segal

    Mickey Segal Guest

    "none" <""tim\"@(none)"> wrote in message
    > does your host use stmp auth? or is authentication just required for
    > pop/imap access?
    > Could this be that your host's smtp server is badly configured to allow
    > non authenticated users to send email?
    >
    > Without checking smtp, i guess javamail won't send the password if the
    > provider is not challenged.

    It now looks like the answer is that the password changes are not
    propagating through the server. Logging in to the cPanel interface requires
    the new password, but the password change does not seem to have propagated
    to other parts of the server, and the password required by FrontPage
    extensions and JavaMail is still the old password.

    So it does look like the server is badly configured, but the issue is not
    unauthenticated access but instead there is a broken process of password
    propagation.

    Does anyone have any recommendations of hosting companies run by people who
    know what they are doing? This situation is a problem waiting to occur,
    since once the new password gets set globally all our JavaMail-dependent
    servlets will fail until we change the password used for invoking JavaMail.

    Mickey Segal, Mar 1, 2007