    Xilinx's ISE 9.2 now supports Windows Vista (32-bit only.)

    Do other tools like (Mentor Modelsim and Xilinx XPS/EDK) run under Windows
    Vista?
    Helpme, Sep 22, 2007

  2. Helpme

    John Retta Guest

    I bought a laptop with Microsoft Vista Home,
    installed Modelsim PE 6.3a , and ran without
    problem.

    --
    Regards,
    John Retta

    email :
    web : www.rtc-inc.com

    John Retta, Sep 22, 2007

  3. Helpme

    Guest

    On Sep 22, 10:49 pm, "John Retta" <> wrote:
    > I bought a laptop with Microsoft Vista Home,
    > installed Modelsim PE 6.3a , and ran without
    > problem.

    In your experience would you recommend running EDA Tools under Vista?
    Or would you recommend XP/Linux?
    Regards
    Prince
    --
    http://dyumnin.com/

    > --
    > Regards,
    > John Retta
    > Owner and Designer
    > Retta Technical Consulting Inc.
    >
    > email :
    > web : www.rtc-inc.com
    >
    > "Helpme" <> wrote in message

    > > Xilinx's ISE 9.2 now supports Windows Vista (32-bit only.)

    > > Do other tools like (Mentor Modelsim and Xilinx XPS/EDK) run under Windows
    > > Vista?
    , Sep 29, 2007
  4. Helpme

    Paul Floyd Guest

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.lang.vhdl.]
    On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 03:51:43 -0700,
    <> wrote:
    > On Sep 22, 10:49 pm, "John Retta" <> wrote:
    >> I bought a laptop with Microsoft Vista Home,
    >> installed Modelsim PE 6.3a , and ran without
    >> problem.

    > In your experience would you recommend running EDA Tools under Vista?
    > Or would you recommend XP/Linux?

    Personally, my order of preference is Solaris, Linux, HP-UX, Windows.

    You can't have it all. Solaris SPARC has poor price/performance these
    days. Solaris x86/64 isn't very well supported. Linux, well, google for
    'OOM kiler' and decide for yourself if you prefer unconditional
    stability or a bit of speed. Does anyone use Windows for serious
    simulation? (I ask that as a developer that's worked on field-solver
    based parasitic extraction and mixed signal simulation).

    A bientot
    Paul
    (Not speaking for Mentor Graphics)
    Paul Floyd, Sep 29, 2007
  5. Helpme

    John Retta Guest

    From an engineering point of view having tools which run
    under Linux is preferred. I am a command line, shell person ...
    not a Windows drag-drop ... double click kind of user.

    However, two factors have been influential. It has been only
    in the last two years (I think this is correct), that the Xilinx tool
    set have run natively under Linux, and the price difference between
    Modelsim PE vs LE was almost 3:1 when I had it quoted a
    few years ago. Kicker was that there was no performance
    increase in LE .... just the ability to run under Linux.

    Anyway, as a one person show, keeping tool cost low
    is a premium.

    Anyway, I bought a laptop 4 weeks ago ... it had Vista
    Home edition on it ... and I thought I would give it a try.
    Keep installing EDA tools, and utilities until I found a show stopper.
    Well I surprisingly did not. Modelsim PE and webpack, as well
    as Quartus ran without problem. In terms of performance
    improvement of XP vs Vista, hard to tell since I did not
    benchmark same hw with different OS, but I suspect there
    is none
    --
    Regards,
    John Retta
    Owner and Designer
    Retta Technical Consulting Inc.
    Colorado Based Xilinx Consultant

    email :
    web : www.rtc-inc.com

    John Retta, Sep 30, 2007
  6. "John Retta" <> writes:

    > From an engineering point of view having tools which run
    > under Linux is preferred. I am a command line, shell person ...
    > not a Windows drag-drop ... double click kind of user.
    >
    > However, two factors have been influential. It has been only
    > in the last two years (I think this is correct), that the Xilinx tool
    > set have run natively under Linux, and the price difference between
    > Modelsim PE vs LE was almost 3:1 when I had it quoted a
    > few years ago. Kicker was that there was no performance
    > increase in LE .... just the ability to run under Linux.

    I was quoted a 1:2.75 ratio between PE and SE last year - SE is
    available under both Linux and XP.

    However, the SE version includes a number of options that must be
    licensed separately with PE.

    Kai
    Kai Harrekilde-Petersen, Sep 30, 2007
  7. John Retta wrote:

    > It has been only
    > in the last two years (I think this is correct), that the Xilinx tool
    > set have run natively under Linux, and the price difference between
    > Modelsim PE vs LE was almost 3:1 when I had it quoted a
    > few years ago. Kicker was that there was no performance
    > increase in LE .... just the ability to run under Linux.

    For what it's worth,
    I have found that running SE on Linux
    is significantly faster than using the
    same SE license for a windows session on the
    same machine.

    -- Mike Treseler
    Mike Treseler, Sep 30, 2007
  8. On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 09:25:00 -0700, Mike Treseler
    <> wrote:

    >John Retta wrote:
    >
    >> It has been only
    >> in the last two years (I think this is correct), that the Xilinx tool
    >> set have run natively under Linux, and the price difference between
    >> Modelsim PE vs LE was almost 3:1 when I had it quoted a
    >> few years ago. Kicker was that there was no performance
    >> increase in LE .... just the ability to run under Linux.

    >For what it's worth,
    >I have found that running SE on Linux
    >is significantly faster than using the
    >same SE license for a windows session on the
    >same machine.

    Hi Mike,

    Would you care to speculate why?

    Thanks,
    Allan
    Allan Herriman, Oct 1, 2007
  9. Allan Herriman wrote:

    > Hi Mike,
    >
    > Would you care to speculate why?

    Pure speculation:
    Perhaps because modelsim was first developed
    on unix systems and so has tighter memory interfaces
    on linux than on a windows port.

    -- Mike Treseler
    Mike Treseler, Oct 1, 2007
  10. Helpme

    HT-Lab Guest

    "Mike Treseler" <> wrote in message
    > John Retta wrote:
    >
    > For what it's worth,
    > I have found that running SE on Linux
    > is significantly faster than using the
    > same SE license for a windows session on the
    > same machine.
    >
    > -- Mike Treseler

    I can confirm Mike's finding, I have done the same test and found that SE
    under Linux (64bits Gentoo) was about 5% faster than SE under Win2K. I used
    my AES core as a testcase. As usual YMMV and "lies, damn lies and
    benchmarks" applies. What is definitely true is that vcom is much faster on
    Linux than on Windows which I believe is due to the caching filesystem on
    Linux whereas Windows uses write-through?

    Hans
    www.ht-lab.com
    HT-Lab, Oct 1, 2007
  11. Mike Treseler <> writes:

    > Allan Herriman wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Mike,
    >>
    >> Would you care to speculate why?

    > Pure speculation:
    > Perhaps because modelsim was first developed
    > on unix systems and so has tighter memory interfaces
    > on linux than on a windows port.

    Are you sure that modelsim was first developed on unix? - I recall
    Modelsim for Windows 3.11 fitting on a single 1.44MB floppy back in
    around '92.

    Kai
    Kai Harrekilde-Petersen, Oct 2, 2007
  12. Helpme

    HT-Lab Guest

    "Kai Harrekilde-Petersen" <> wrote in message
    > Mike Treseler <> writes:
    >
    >> Allan Herriman wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi Mike,
    >>>
    >>> Would you care to speculate why?

    >> Pure speculation:
    >> Perhaps because modelsim was first developed
    >> on unix systems and so has tighter memory interfaces
    >> on linux than on a windows port.

    > Are you sure that modelsim was first developed on unix? - I recall
    > Modelsim for Windows 3.11 fitting on a single 1.44MB floppy back in
    > around '92.

    The first (VHDL only) version was developed on DOS and written by two very
    clever chaps in the US, one was Bob Hunter and the other was Walter Vines.

    Hans
    www.ht-lab.com

    HT-Lab, Oct 3, 2007
  13. Helpme

    ZOLVEZ

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2007
    Messages:
    8
    Hi friends

    I have a question

    I want to do the next:

    library IEEE;

    use IEEE.STD_LOGIC_1164.ALL;

    use IEEE.STD_LOGIC_ARITH.ALL;

    use IEEE.STD_LOGIC_SIGNED.ALL;

    entity multiplicador is

    Port ( a : in STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (15 downto 0);

    b : in STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (15 downto 0);

    clk : in STD_LOGIC;

    sal : out STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (15 downto 0));

    end multiplicador;

    architecture Behavioral of multiplicador is

    signal tmp : std_logic_vector (31 downto 0);

    begin

    process (clk, a, b)

    begin

    if clk= '1' and clk'event then

    tmp <= a*b;

    end if;

    end process;

    sal<= tmp(23 downto 8); --here is the problem

    end Behavioral;

    How you see I want to assign only a portion of the signal tmp to sal, but the software I'm using doesn't sinthesize it (I'm using Xilinx ISE 8.1i) so I want to know another way to do this. Any suggestions to ZOLVEZ@hotmai......
    thanks
    ZOLVEZ, Oct 4, 2007