Does .NET 2.0 fix the slow webservice first-time loadup?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by edzehoo@gmail.com, Oct 18, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hi
    There was this annoying problem with .NET 1.1 where a web service
    would take 15 secs or more to get loaded into memory upon first access.
    After that, subsequent accesses are fast, UNTIL the webservice is left
    idle for about 15-20 minutes, then somehow it takes 15 seconds to load
    again on the next access (I'm guessing the session gets flushed after a
    specific idle time period)

    I was told to write a hack that would keep 'hitting' the webservices
    every 15 minutes in order to keep the session alive.
    But this still somehow feels like a hack.

    Does .NET 2.0 fix this? I heard there's this precompile option, but how
    does it actually work? I'm using VS 2005 Beta 2 at the moment. Can
    anyone give me detailed instructions to 'precompile' a web service?

    Thanks to all you guys out there who bothered reading my post :)

    Regards,
    Ed Zehoo,
    Lead Software Architect
    United Software Labs

    , Oct 18, 2005

  2. ASP.NET 2.0 (and Web Services) developed with .NET 2.0 have better
    performance, but, the issue you're talking about I think is because of .NET
    JIT compilation.
    With ASP.NET 2.0 you can get rid of this issue. If you want to pre-compile
    your webservice, I think you can do it exactly like you'd do with a ASP.NET
    2.0 Web. Look at the follwing URL where you can see how to pre-compile a
    ASP.NET Web. Within this article read about "Deployment precompilation /
    Precompilation for Deployment":
    http://aspalliance.com/717
    Basically (with .NET 2.0 BETA 2.0) you do something like:
    Aspnet_compiler –p “C:\Dev\WebSite1†–v / C:\Staging
    --
    CESAR DE LA TORRE
    Software Architect

    CESAR DE LA TORRE [MVP], Oct 18, 2005