Does onClick() automatically refresh select (list)boxes in IE6?

Andrea

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I have a PHP
website where in one area, quite a lot of data is pulled out of the DB. Each
entry is listed as a row in a table, and the users should be able to enter
some information, check a checkbox to select one or more entries, and then
press "Submit" to send these entries off and save the changes.

All works well, but now they want the users to assign a month code (3
letters) for an entry (this can't be done automatically since an entry can
be assigned to *any* month, not just the current one). To make sure that the
appropriate codes are used, a select options box was requested listing the
full month names, with the month code (Jan, Feb etc.) being the data value
submitted with the form.

All in all this mechanism works fine, HOWEVER, it appears that, as soon as
ANY area of the website is clicked on, the "Months" select options box gets
refreshed for ALL entries - since there can be up to several hundred
entries, this obviously takes considerable time!

So I am wondering - since the month entries are not dynamic, and thus do not
need to be refreshed in any way, is it possible to DISABLE this refresh
action, or block the onClick() (or whatever event it is that causes this behaviour)?

I was not even aware that this seems to be happening (as I have never used a
form with that many listboxes on one page), but it's the only way I can
explain why any click (not necessarily with changing anything, can be just
clicking a blank space) causes the report to freeze for a minute - if I
comment out the select box, then all works fine without any delays.

Thanks in advance for any input!