Does Python have a Template::Extract equivalent from Perl's CPAN

Discussion in 'Python' started by mbbx6spp@gmail.com, May 27, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hi All,

    I already searched this newsgroup and google groups to see if I could
    find a Python equivalent to Perl's Template::Extract, but didn't find
    anything leading to a Python module that had similar functionality. I
    am a big fan of Python as an OO language and use it for many system
    admin utilities, webdev and even MS Excel AddIn development, but I have
    found that Perl's Template::Extract is so invaluable to my web scraping
    utilities that I can not migrate this very old code base over to Python
    yet since there is nothing that I can easily port it over to without
    making my web scrapers very brittle to website redesigns. I while I
    think Perl is a wonderful language in its own right I would rather just
    code more of my codebase in Python than Perl to make my coding more
    efficient.

    If anyone knows of a Python module that has the same features of
    Template::Extract please let me (and maybe the group) know. If nobody
    is not aware of any module, I would be interested in developing one for
    the Python public. Please let me know if anyone else is interested and
    I can setup a sf.net project to get this rolling (unless anyone knows
    of an sf.net like website that offers Subversion instead of CVS?).

    Thanks!

    , May 27, 2005

    should have read, "if nobody is aware of any module..." not "if nobody
    is not aware...".

    , May 27, 2005

  3. Can you please elaborate on how to use Python for MS Excel AddIn
    development? Is this easy to do? I would love to be able to create
    custom extensions to Excel using python! IMHO Python is much better
    than Perl due to its OOP features.

    Cheers,
    CL

    combinational.logic $ soc-ip.com, May 27, 2005
  4. Paul McNett Guest

    Python/Excel AddIn (was:Re: Does Python have a Template::Extractequivalent from Perl's CPAN)

    Please start a new thread when appropriate.

    combinational.logic $ soc-ip.com wrote:
    > Can you please elaborate on how to use Python for MS Excel AddIn
    > development? Is this easy to do? I would love to be able to create
    > custom extensions to Excel using python! IMHO Python is much better
    > than Perl due to its OOP features.

    Do you mean automating Excel sheets using Python? If so, you need to get
    a COM interface from Python (see Mark Hammond's win32all Python
    extensions for this), and you need to figure out the proper com calls,
    which is easiest by going into Excel and recording a macro, and then
    taking a look at the vbscript the macro recorded.

    --
    Paul McNett
    http://paulmcnett.com

    Paul McNett, May 27, 2005
  5. Re: Python/Excel AddIn (was:Re: Does Python have a Template::Extract equivalent from Perl's CPAN)

    Thanks Paul! When I get a chance I'll mess around with Py + Excel as
    you have suggested . I was hoping not to have to deal with VBScript :)

    combinational.logic $ soc-ip.com, May 27, 2005

    Re: Python/Excel AddIn (was:Re: Does Python have a Template::Extract equivalent from Perl's CPAN)

    CL, after you install py_win32 on windows you should look for a module
    called "excel*.py" under your ${PYTHONHOME} directory. They have a
    very basic COM Server Excel AddIn as an example.

    , May 27, 2005