Does Rails 3.0.0 beta3 work with ruby 1.9.1 on Windows XP?

Dave.Hurrell

Does Rails 3.0.0 beta3 work with ruby 1.9.1 on Windows XP?

It does not work for me, the sample program crashes with no error
message.

Luis Lavena

Does Rails 3.0.0 beta3 work with ruby 1.9.1 on Windows XP?

It does not work for me, the sample program crashes with no error
message.

Rails default database is sqlite3.

Did you install sqlite3-ruby gem? Did you downloaded and correctly
placed sqlite3.dll to be used by the Gem?

Are you using Mongrel?

Did you use another database adapter for Rails, like MySQL? have you
installed the corresponding gem and libraries for it?

What development.log contains?

You have all that information available in your side, while we only
can guess what is your problem...

Please try be more specific and try to provide more information.

Help us help you.

Dave.Hurrell

The sqlite3-ruby gem was installed and the sqlite3.dll was correctly
placed in C:\Ruby19\bin. I am not using Mongrel. Although MySQL is
installed I am not using it for any of the tests.

System tests were constructed in the c:\tmp directory as follows:
=3D=3D=3Dbegin=3D=3D
rails test01
cd test01
bundle install
rails server
=3D=3D=3Dend=3D=3D=3D

When browser is given http://localhost:3000/ the standard Welcome
aboard screen displays. HOWEVER, when you click on the About your
applications environment link Ruby.exe crashes intermittently with the
following error information.
=3D=3D=3Dbegin=3D=3D=3D
ruby.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry
for the inconvenience.

Error signature
AppName: ruby.exe AppVer: 1.9.1.0 ModName: msvcrt.dll
ModVer: 7.0.2600.5512 Offset: 000378ac

Exception Information
Code: 0xc0000005 Flags: 0x00000000

There is a lot more windows information....
=3D=3D=3Dend=3D=3D=3D

The project development log says the following when it does NOT work.
=3D=3D=3Dbegin=3D=3D=3D
Started GET "/rails/info/properties" for 127.0.0.1 at 2010-05-31
02:58:32
Processing by Rails::InfoController#properties as */*
=3D=3D=3Dend=3D=3D=3D

The project development log says the following when it does work.
=3D=3D=3Dbegin=3D=3D=3D
Started GET "/rails/info/properties" for 127.0.0.1 at 2010-05-31
02:58:32
Processing by Rails::InfoController#properties as */*

Started GET "/rails/info/properties" for 127.0.0.1 at 2010-05-31
02:59:56
Processing by Rails::InfoController#properties as */*
=1B[1m=1B[36mSQL (0.0ms)=1B[0m =1B[1m SELECT name
FROM sqlite_master
WHERE type =3D 'table' AND NOT name =3D 'sqlite_sequence'
=1B[0m
Rendered inline template (0.0ms)
Completed 200 OK in 320ms (Views: 0.0ms | ActiveRecord: 0.0ms)
=3D=3D=3Dend=3D=3D=3D

I have created new projects, test02,test03,... and I have restarted
the rails server in the same project several times. I have not been
able to establish a pattern of when or why it sometimes fails.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Luis Lavena

The sqlite3-ruby gem was installed and the sqlite3.dll was correctly
placed in C:\Ruby19\bin. I am not using Mongrel. Although MySQL is
installed I am not using it for any of the tests.

System tests were constructed in the c:\tmp directory as follows:
===begin==
rails test01
cd test01
bundle install
rails server
===end===

When browser is givenhttp://localhost:3000/the standard Welcome
aboard screen displays. HOWEVER, when you click on the About your
applications environment link Ruby.exe crashes intermittently with the
following error information.

C:\Users\Luis\Projects\_sandbox>ruby -v
ruby 1.9.1p378 (2010-01-10 revision 26273) [i386-mingw32]

C:\Users\Luis\Projects\_sandbox>rails --version
Rails 3.0.0.beta3

C:\Users\Luis\Projects\_sandbox>gem list sqlite3-ruby

*** LOCAL GEMS ***

sqlite3-ruby (1.3.0.beta.2 x86-mingw32, 1.2.5 x86-mingw32)

C:\Users\Luis\Projects\_sandbox>rails test3
C:\Users\Luis\Projects\_sandbox\test3>bundle check
The Gemfile's dependencies are satisfied

rails server

and requesting rails properties in the about page generates a segfault
(something lot of users have reported about Rails 3 and 1.9.1 version
of Ruby).

I heard that the same is true for 1.8.7 and Rails-core recommends
updating to 1.9.2 (which hasn't been released yet).

Any more familiarized with Rails can comment on this.

Vinícius Baggio Fuentes

I think rails 3 does not support Ruby 1.9.1. You have to use ruby 1.9.2-head
instead if you want to use the 1.9 version.

Vinicius Baggio Fuentes
http://www.vinibaggio.com

[...]

Roger Pack

Dave said:
Does Rails 3.0.0 beta3 work with ruby 1.9.1 on Windows XP?

It does not work for me, the sample program crashes with no error
message.

works ok for me using the rubyinstaller.

-rp