Does Request.QueryString handle UTF-8 data?

Samuel Fung

Hi all,

Can ASP retrieve UTF-8 encoded data in query string properly, when
used with IIS 5.0 on Windows 2000 Pro/Server?

With some trial and error, it seems that adding the directive
@CodePage = 65001 to an ASP page makes the ASP page decode UTF-8 data
in query string properly. Without the directive,
Request.QueryString(var) returns garbled data. With the directive,
Request.QueryString(var) decodes UTF-8 encoded data properly. (I tried
passing it to database with ADO; and VBScript function Len() also
returned the correct string length. I passed UTF-8 encoded Chinese
characters during my test.)

My search on the Web and newgroups, however, returned mostly results
that say ASP does not support UTF-8 encoded data in query string.
One of the search results is
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pr...gies/iis/maintain/featusability/interasp.mspx.
It was written in March 2000. Could things have changed since then?

Can anyone share their views and experience on this matter? Is the
@CodePage directive all that's needed to handle UTF-8 encoded data in
QueryString?

Thanks!

Cheers,