    Does perl have to be compiled with any options enabled for this builtin var
    to work?

    Nick.
    Nick Weavers, Apr 16, 2004

  2. Nick Weavers

    J. Gleixner Guest

    Nick Weavers wrote:
    > $BASETIME (or $^T) seems to have stopped working for me. I have tested it on
    > RH linux 9.0 with perl 5.8.0 and under AIX 5.1 with perl 5.6.0 and it
    > returns nothing.
    >
    > Does perl have to be compiled with any options enabled for this builtin var
    > to work?
    >
    > Nick.

    BASETIME is defined in English.pm.

    use English;
    print $BASETIME;
    J. Gleixner, Apr 16, 2004

  3. On Fri, 16 Apr 2004, Nick Weavers <> wrote:
    > $BASETIME (or $^T) seems to have stopped working for me. I have tested it on
    > RH linux 9.0 with perl 5.8.0 and under AIX 5.1 with perl 5.6.0 and it
    > returns nothing.
    >
    > Does perl have to be compiled with any options enabled for this builtin var
    > to work?

    Following works for me:

    #!/usr/bin/perl -w
    sleep 5;
    print "This script took ". (time - $^T) .
    " seconds in Perl $] on $^O\n";

    Depending upon the system, returns one of:
    This script took 5 seconds in Perl 5.006001 on linux
    This script took 5 seconds in Perl 5.008 on linux

    David Efflandt, Apr 17, 2004