Does this make sense?

Discussion in 'XML' started by milkyway, Dec 2, 2004.

  1. milkyway

    milkyway Guest

    Hello,

    I am trying to find an old post I had but here goes another :)

    I am trying to make an application that will work under WML and from
    the regular computer.

    >From what I have read, one can do the following:

    1. The user sees a .wml or a .html file on the client side

    2. In the .wml file or the .html file is a point to a .jsp file (for
    example, process.jsp) so that process.jsp will do all of the work.

    3. process.jsp will have a java bean associated with it so that the
    "set" properties are activated within the bean (ex: setFirstName,
    setLastName, etc.)

    4. Hopefully, the items that are retrieved are kept in the session of
    the user.

    5. Processing is done by the JSP to create an XML.

    6. The XML is ran through the XSLT so that it will create the
    appropriate file for the appropriate client (Browser, PDF, WAP, etc.)

    And the process is repeated over and over for the processing of the
    application.

    Does this line of thinking make sense?

    JSP - creates -> XML - ran through -> XSLT - Producing -> HTML or WML,
    etc.

    I am new to this area and am trying to understand how all of this can
    be accomplished. I have some beans that I want to use too.
    Any help, hints or advice would be appreciated :)

    TIA

    milkyway, Dec 2, 2004

  2. Andrew Thompson, Dec 2, 2004

  3. milkyway

    Guest

    milkyway wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am trying to find an old post I had but here goes another :)
    >
    > I am trying to make an application that will work under WML and from
    > the regular computer.
    >
    > >From what I have read, one can do the following:

    > 1. The user sees a .wml or a .html file on the client side
    >
    > 2. In the .wml file or the .html file is a point to a .jsp file (for
    > example, process.jsp) so that process.jsp will do all of the work.
    >
    > 3. process.jsp will have a java bean associated with it so that the
    > "set" properties are activated within the bean (ex: setFirstName,
    > setLastName, etc.)
    >
    > 4. Hopefully, the items that are retrieved are kept in the session of
    > the user.
    >
    > 5. Processing is done by the JSP to create an XML.
    >
    > 6. The XML is ran through the XSLT so that it will create the
    > appropriate file for the appropriate client (Browser, PDF, WAP, etc.)
    >
    > And the process is repeated over and over for the processing of the
    > application.
    >
    > Does this line of thinking make sense?
    >
    > JSP - creates -> XML - ran through -> XSLT - Producing -> HTML or

    WML,
    > etc.
    >

    > I am new to this area and am trying to understand how all of this can
    > be accomplished. I have some beans that I want to use too.
    > Any help, hints or advice would be appreciated :)
    >
    > TIA

    I just stumbled across your post. You can easily achieve your goals
    using Apache Cocoon to:

    1. accept an http request
    2. route it to the appropriate process (jsp or whatever)
    3. translate the results to html, wml, pdf, xml (or whatever)
    4. return the results to the client
    Lots of other optional features, too.

    Best,
    Harry