Does this page work in your Firefox?

Bergamot

rf said:
Don't worry, Berg.

They have hived off to c.i.w.a.site.design

Yeah, I noticed. They probably didn't consider that the same people
subscribe to both ciwas-d and alt.html groups. :)
There are some !important caveats to the use of the site though:

I can't imagine where they came up with this. More cluelessness, no
doubt. :)

Mika

Bergamot said:
Yeah, I noticed. They probably didn't consider that the same people
subscribe to both ciwas-d and alt.html groups. :)

Someone here helpfully suggested that group would be best placed to answer
future queries. You can find that suggestion in this thread. Then we take
that advice, and someone else has a complaint with it. That's fine! It's
funny!
I can't imagine where they came up with this. More cluelessness, no
doubt. :)

Our streetscape on Oxford Street is very wide, and it scrolls from one end
of a very wide div to the other. You only see a small portion of it through
the window, but it is there Opera is the only browser that is incapable of
supporting scrolling of a div that wide.

We know, we could rewrite the entire site from scratch, however when you
balance the cost and time of that with supporting a browser which 1% of the
people *arriving* at our site have, and they all have IE installed anyway if
they wish to use it after consulting our FAQ, then that is the choice we
made. We understand the objections to it, however it was a carefully
considered decision and that is the one we as the designers of our site have
the right to make.

Mika

Bergamot said:
I reread it. I quote:
"...The online sites we
link to are UK shops and designed for UK visitors as they won't ship
overseas unfortunately (this is out of our hands). If you are in the UK
the page should load in a few seconds."

In another post, replying to rf:
"Oh dear you are ready to be offended... but no, it is not our choice,
it is the choice of the shops. 99% of them do not offer International
delivery you see, so unless you live in the UK, there is little point
shopping at UK online shops. Do you understand now? Is that okay?
Shall we rewrite all their websites and convert their delivery depots
for you? This is a UK site featuring UK streets on a UK server. Is
that unfair? Do you want us to move Oxford Street to Pakistan perhaps?"

Your statements insisting it's strictly UK is obviously false.

Oh. My. God. Well, just for fun, we are going to help you with the plain
English we used. Ready? Are you sitting down? Here we go...

We said, "The online sites we link to are UK SHOPS".

You replied, "When did Miami, Beverly Hills, San Francisco, and New York
relocate to the UK?"

Solution to the puzzle:

Miami, Beverley Hills, SF, and NY are not... "SHOPS"... *gasp*. They are
funny things called "States".

Now let's think about this Berg. Did we say, "The online sites we link to
are UK STATES"? Or did we say, "The online sites we link to are UK SHOPS"?
Hmm... are you getting warm yet?

That's right! Clever boy! :) You got it! All 3 full Streetscapes are UK
streets. The other 'Street-lites' are link to brands you'd find around the
world, and they all still link to *UK* shop websites.

Why? Because you can't actually have a truly international shopping site
where all or even most products are available to be delivered to visitors
from all countries. Virtually no single retailer supports this delivery
structure. The USA is reknowned for not allowing UK delivery addresses when
shopping at its websites. Even Amazon have not managed this on the whole,
so they split their site into UK, USA, Germany, Australia, etc. to solve the
problem.

Berg, let's help you understand. We are a small startup. We have chosen to
start in the UK. It could have been USA or Australia if we lived there, but
we are in the UK.

If we get big, sure, one day Superhighstreet.COM (which means 'Commercial',
not 'USA', and is used by the majority of British websites) will be our
global portal, and redirect you to our .co.uk, .au and all other
country-specific sites just like Amazon, but for now, as we are just
beginning, is it okay by you if we just support one country at the start?
Like just about every single website that has ever been launched in the
history of mankind did? Is that okay? Please Berg? Pretty please? Only
with your consent to this ludicrous proposal of ours can we ever find the
comfort to go on!...

:p

Mika

Sadly there is little we can do about delays on your hops towards our
site, aside from relocating the server to the USA, and then we lose our
majority audience which are UK based.

Tracing route to superhigstreet.com [208.69.32.130]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

Thanks Ed, this is helpful.
1 * * * Request timed out.
2 * * * Request timed out.

These are your most local hops, and they are timing out. I would take this
up urgently with your ISP, explaining they were hops towards a UK server.
That would explain your extended delay.
3 12 ms 18 ms 19 ms
ge-1-5-ur01.n1alpharetta.ga.atlanta.comcast.net [68.86.109.217]
4 21 ms 25 ms 12 ms
te-9-1-ur01.n2alpharetta.ga.atlanta.comcast.net [68.86.106.222]
5 13 ms 13 ms 11 ms
te-9-3-ur01.g1norcross.ga.atlanta.comcast.net [68.86.106.226]
6 13 ms 11 ms 11 ms
te-9-1-ur01.d9chamblee.ga.atlanta.comcast.net [68.86.106.142]
7 12 ms 11 ms 12 ms
te-9-1-ur01.d8decatur.ga.atlanta.comcast.net [68.86.106.146]
8 12 ms 11 ms 12 ms
te-9-1-ur02.d1stonemtn.ga.atlanta.comcast.net [68.86.106.150]
9 10 ms 38 ms 11 ms
te-9-1-ur01.d1stonemtn.ga.atlanta.comcast.net [68.86.106.154]
10 14 ms 12 ms 11 ms
te-9-2-ar01.d1stonemtn.ga.atlanta.comcast.net [68.86.106.158]
11 14 ms 14 ms 14 ms
te-9-1-ar01.b0atlanta.ga.atlanta.comcast.net [68.86.106.1]
12 21 ms 21 ms 21 ms COMCAST-IP.car1.Atlanta2.Level3.net
[4.71.252.6]
13 20 ms 22 ms 33 ms te-3-2.car1.Atlanta2.Level3.net
[4.71.252.5]
14 22 ms 34 ms 35 ms ae-31-53.ebr1.Atlanta2.Level3.net
[4.68.103.94]
15 46 ms 21 ms 32 ms ae-68.ebr3.Atlanta2.Level3.net
[4.69.134.50]
16 47 ms 53 ms 39 ms ae-2.ebr1.Washington1.Level3.net
[4.69.132.86]
17 36 ms 50 ms 38 ms ae-71-71.csw2.Washington1.Level3.net
[4.69.134.134]
18 36 ms 35 ms 35 ms ae-23-79.car3.Washington1.Level3.net
[4.68.17.69]
19 46 ms 39 ms 39 ms xe-7-2.r04.asbnva01.us.bb.gin.ntt.net
[129.250.9.113]
20 40 ms 47 ms 40 ms ae-1.r21.asbnva01.us.bb.gin.ntt.net
[129.250.2.180]
21 228 ms 219 ms 240 ms po-3.r05.asbnva01.us.bb.gin.ntt.net
[129.250.2.87]
22 90 ms 255 ms 235 ms fa-0.opendns.asbnva01.us.bb.gin.ntt.net
[129.250.12.114]

Finally you reach the UK where we are able to have some control!...
23 35 ms 38 ms 35 ms nxdomain.guide.opendns.com [208.69.32.130]

Thanks again for the info. Very useful.

Mika

Mika

dorayme said:
As it happens, I had an experience right at the start that sort
of alarmed me with this sound. Had come back into the room when
it was loaded and playing and I first thought something might be
up with my tower, my HD, I was worried a bit. Took me a mo to
realise it was the speakers and the website. I would not blame OP
for not thinking of beings on the other side of the planet who
dash in and out to grab cups of tea and stuff and have paranoid
thoughts about their hardware <g>

Incredibly, it didn't cross our minds ;)

Mika

rf

Miami, Beverley Hills, SF, and NY are not... "SHOPS"... *gasp*. They are
funny things called "States".

Last time I was there (and yes, I have been to all of them, except Miami)
they were either cities or suburbs of some city. States are much bigger
things, like California. Well, you might get away with calling NY a state
but most people differentiate between New York, the city and Upstate New
York, or New York State, the state.

Mika

rf said:
Last time I was there (and yes, I have been to all of them, except Miami)
they were either cities or suburbs of some city. States are much bigger
things, like California. Well, you might get away with calling NY a state
but most people differentiate between New York, the city and Upstate New
York, or New York State, the state.

My sincere apologies for any distress caused to any cities or their families
by calling them states. It is early in the morning and I was referring of
course just to the state of NY, rather than the city of New York, NY.

Randy Webb

Mika said the following on 11/26/2007 4:48 PM:
We have done some tweaks to the site and would like to know if it is any
faster for those of you who found it slow across international servers.

http://tinyurl.com/35mwxr

Thanks in advance for any constructive answers to this specific question -
that is all that is needed, thanks.

After 60 seconds on an 8mb Cable line, and being asked twice if I wanted
to cancel the script, I canceled it. The sound on there is annoying though.

What you might want to do, for testing, is to make a "dummy" copy of it
and add a timer to the page to tell any potential user/tester how long
it took to load the page.

Set a variable to a new Date() at the very beginning of the page, then
after the last script has executed, and the page is "ready", take a
second new Date() and compare them. Then insert it in the page to tell
the user "This page took: ### time to download and be ready". It would
keep people from having to guess at how long it took because they aren't
sure it is finished loading yet.

Mika

Randy Webb said:
Mika said the following on 11/26/2007 4:48 PM:

After 60 seconds on an 8mb Cable line, and being asked twice if I wanted
to cancel the script, I canceled it. The sound on there is annoying
though.

What sound? We removed the sound the day before you posted the above
message. We also sped up the site significantly. Feel free to test again
today, which would be more relevant.

Thanks.

Randy Webb

Mika said the following on 11/28/2007 5:19 AM:
What sound?

It was cache related. Reloaded and no sound now.
We removed the sound the day before you posted the above message.

I posted it 2 hours ago. Not sure why, but I got sound the first two
times I tested it. Just tried again and the sound is gone.
We also sped up the site significantly. Feel free to test again
today, which would be more relevant.

Unless you have changed something in the last 2 hours, it won't change
anything. Although this time, I don't get the hourglass and script
warning and it seems to load fairly quickly. Didn't time it though.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Mika said:
We know, we could rewrite the entire site from scratch, however when
you balance the cost and time of that with supporting a browser which
1% of the people *arriving* at our site have,

which is probably the most standards-compliant browser available. It's
the only one to pass the Acid2 test. (But I believe I've already
mentioned this.)

What, no Opera? Next, we'll find a note on the page that says, "Sorry,
Jamaicans can't shop here." <snorkle>

Oh, and your iframe does work for me with Opera 9.23.
and they all have IE installed anyway

Only those using Windows...

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

rf said:
Last time I was there (and yes, I have been to all of them, except Miami)

Do you speak Spanish? ;-)
they were either cities or suburbs of some city. States are much
bigger things, like California. Well, you might get away with calling
NY a state but most people differentiate between New York, the city
and Upstate New York, or New York State, the state.

We Upstate New Yorkers [1] sometimes wish that *Downstate* New York
could be cut off and pushed out to sea. Or give 'em to Connecticut and
New Jersey. Our taxes would halve.

1. I'm actually halfway between "Upstate" and "Western" New York.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Ed Mullen said:
Tracing route to superhigstreet.com [208.69.32.130]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

Thanks Ed, this is helpful.
1 * * * Request timed out.
2 * * * Request timed out.

These are your most local hops, and they are timing out. I would take
this up urgently with your ISP, explaining they were hops towards a
UK server. That would explain your extended delay.

There is no problem with his ISP. That merely indicates those two hops
(which could very well be his own router and cable modem) do not respond
to pings and traceroutes.

Mika

Unless you have changed something in the last 2 hours, it won't change
anything. Although this time, I don't get the hourglass and script warning
and it seems to load fairly quickly. Didn't time it though.

That's great to know Randy. Rough time guess would be appreciated.

Mika

andrew

[...]
We know, we could rewrite the entire site from scratch, however when you
balance the cost and time of that with supporting a browser which 1% of the
people *arriving* at our site have, and they all have IE installed anyway if
they wish to use it after consulting our FAQ, then that is the choice we
made. We understand the objections to it, however it was a carefully
considered decision and that is the one we as the designers of our site have
the right to make.

Hmmm.... I appreciate that in the beginning of this thread you were
asking about Firefox, but if you go down the road of aiming at IE you
will be deliberately excluding those of us who run Linux. IE runs on
Linux but it is a bit of a pain to get running and most don't.

Andrew

Mika

Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
which is probably the most standards-compliant browser available. It's
the only one to pass the Acid2 test. (But I believe I've already
mentioned this.)

Zzz yes you did... if you think regular web surfers know or care... :p
What, no Opera? Next, we'll find a note on the page that says, "Sorry,
Jamaicans can't shop here." <snorkle>

No, then I'd be racist like some people here.
Oh, and your iframe does work for me with Opera 9.23.

You're on the wrong street. Oxford Street does not load properly on Opera,
does it?
Only those using Windows...

Hahah you guys are hilarious! If they don't have Windows, then they have
Safari installed, which the site is also written for! What the heck are you
going on about? :-S ;)

Mika

andrew said:
[...]
We know, we could rewrite the entire site from scratch, however when you
balance the cost and time of that with supporting a browser which 1% of
the
people *arriving* at our site have, and they all have IE installed anyway
if
they wish to use it after consulting our FAQ, then that is the choice we
made. We understand the objections to it, however it was a carefully
considered decision and that is the one we as the designers of our site
have
the right to make.

Hmmm.... I appreciate that in the beginning of this thread you were
asking about Firefox, but if you go down the road of aiming at IE you
will be deliberately excluding those of us who run Linux. IE runs on
Linux but it is a bit of a pain to get running and most don't.

The site is fully FF compliant, as well as Safari, and always will be. We
just said Opera does not support our scrolling div width.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Mika said:
Zzz yes you did... if you think regular web surfers know or care...
:p

Probably not, but _you_ should.
No, then I'd be racist like some people here.

You're on the wrong street. Oxford Street does not load properly on Opera,
does it?

Oh, I didn't realize you had different templates for different streets.
We've been looking at George Street for so long ...

[checks Oxford] The street starts with a London bus with a Harrod's ad
on the side of it, then horizontally scrolls down the street if I wish
to do so. I don't see any difference from George.
Hahah you guys are hilarious! If they don't have Windows, then they have
Safari installed, which the site is also written for!

My Linux distro did not come with Safari installed.
What the heck are you going on about? :-S ;)

You said, "they all have IE installed anyway"

...for some value of "all", I suppose.

Mika

Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
Probably not

Glad we agree on something.
You're on the wrong street. Oxford Street does not load properly on
Opera,
does it?

Oh, I didn't realize you had different templates for different streets.
We've been looking at George Street for so long ...

[checks Oxford] The street starts with a London bus with a Harrod's ad
on the side of it, then horizontally scrolls down the street if I wish
to do so. I don't see any difference from George.

You really gotta trust us when we say it does not work. Oxford Street on
Opera only goes as far as House of Fraser, then Opera's limitation is
reached. Load Oxford Street in IE or FF and you'll see it goes on for over
a mile.

Please, no more arguing for the sake of it. We know it doesn't work with
Opera, and we don't need to convince anyone else of that fact.

rf

Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
Do you speak Spanish? ;-)

No. Why? Not many Spaniards over here. Although funilly enough the girl down
the end of the street grew up in Spain and speaks it well.
We Upstate New Yorkers [1] sometimes wish that *Downstate* New York
could be cut off and pushed out to sea. Or give 'em to Connecticut and
New Jersey. Our taxes would halve.

1. I'm actually halfway between "Upstate" and "Western" New York.

Spent some weeks with friends in Utica, skiing in all the upstate areas.
Placid down to the Finger Lakes and over to Vermont. That was about 5 or so
years ago, the year the snow dumped all the way down to South Carolina and
shut it down. Had to brush a foot of snow off the rent-a-car every morning
in Placid.

Very Nice part of the planet :)