Does US Patent 863 enable Web O/S?

Discussion in 'XML' started by Lane Friesen, Mar 6, 2005.

  1. Lane Friesen

    Lane Friesen Guest

    (second of three postings for May 31 deadline on Open Source offer)

    I've developed a new form of client-based, secure 'Web Memory' that
    uses the JAVA or dotNET VM to launch a 'terminate and stay
    resident' program fragment that maintains persistence between web
    pages by program reloading. Web Memory is the basis for an Open Source
    e-commerce front end that could reduce web congestion and simplify
    online shopping.

    A web-based operating system might now be possible. I am releasing this
    application of Web Memory also to Open Source, with a May 31 deadline
    for acceptance of this offer, as described in the referenced text
    below.

    If too many people use this technique, then it will not work for
    anyone. Bandwidth for Web Memory is now protected by US Patent
    6,636,863, granted to me on Oct. 21, 2003 - *it appears to describe Web
    Services as well as Web Memory, and could extend to portions of the
    Internet*. I would like advice from the Open Source community in
    particular: How can this patent best benefit the Internet end user?

    Information:
    http://209.87.142.42/webmemory/

    Background:
    * I originally published in June of 2000 on javaboutique
    (http://javaboutique:internet.com/articles/shoppingcart/index.html) and
    released the code for an e-commerce front end as Open Source.

    * The article was mirrored on Linux Today
    (http://linuxtoday.com/news/2000070200204OSSW).

    * I filed for a US patent before publishing these articles - in
    September, 1999. There are years of waiting before the US Patent and
    Trademark Office can even begin to process an application - during this
    time, aspects of my patent were developed independently by the Internet
    community, as Web Services.

    * On Oct. 21, 2003, after a lengthy process including a quality review
    by a number of patent examiners, I was granted US Patent 6,636,863
    based on this work (to read the text, go to
    http://patft.uspto.gov/netahtml/srchnum.htm and input the patent
    number).

    * Web Memory is secure, client-based, user-specific memory, based in
    the JAVA VM present in computers, cell phones, Palm Pilots and chips.
    It works in dotNET as well. The bandwidth for this technique has been
    protected by patent. Is Web Memory the missing component, with Web
    Services, for a distributed Web O/S?

    Lane Friesen
    e-mail: lanefriesen (at) hotmail.com
    Lane Friesen, Mar 6, 2005