Does viewstate works correctly on VS 2005 web server?

GS

Hello,

I'm receiving The state information is invalid for this page and might be corrupted error message when running code below. This happens on second post back. Why is it happening?
My webpage contains 2 dropdowns controls and I save information entered by user in ViewState variable containing array

ArrayList MyCoordinates = (ArrayList) ViewState ["Coordinates"];
if (MyCoordinates == null)
{
MyCoordinates = new ArrayList ();
}
int[,] myArray = { { int.Parse ( DropX.SelectedValue.ToString ()), int.Parse (DropY.SelectedValue.ToString()) } };
MyCoordinates.Add(myArray);
ViewState.Remove("Coordinates");
ViewState.Add("Coordinates", MyCoordinates);

Juan T. Llibre

Did you try Googling for the error message ?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...this+page+and+might+be+corrupted"&btnG=Search

These are good candidates for an answer :

http://forums.asp.net/1181187/ShowPost.aspx

http://www.issociate.de/board/post/290580/Problem_with_porting_1.1_code_to_2.0.html

Juan T. Llibre
ASP.NET MVP
ASPNETFAQ.COM : http://www.aspnetfaq.com
==================================
Hello,

I'm receiving The state information is invalid for this page and might be corrupted error message
when running code below. This happens on second post back. Why is it happening?
My webpage contains 2 dropdowns controls and I save information entered by user in ViewState
variable containing array

ArrayList MyCoordinates = (ArrayList) ViewState ["Coordinates"];
if (MyCoordinates == null)
{
MyCoordinates = new ArrayList ();
}
int[,] myArray = { { int.Parse ( DropX.SelectedValue.ToString ()), int.Parse
(DropY.SelectedValue.ToString()) } };
MyCoordinates.Add(myArray);
ViewState.Remove("Coordinates");
ViewState.Add("Coordinates", MyCoordinates);

Juan T. Llibre

Cool. I hope those messages have the answer for you.

In general, Googling for an *verbatim* error message is a great way to find out
what others have done when they received the same error message.

Juan T. Llibre
ASP.NET MVP
ASPNETFAQ.COM : http://www.aspnetfaq.com
==================================
GS said:
Thanks. Did not found those only once relevant to MAC address issue.

Juan T. Llibre said:
[...]

Well, suggestions did no really fix the problem. Even after disabling EventValidation still getting the same issue.

Server Error in '/ImageRoll' Application.

The state information is invalid for this page and might be corrupted.

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: The state information is invalid for this page and might be corrupted.

Source Error:

[No relevant source lines]

Source File: c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\imageroll\4129d9e3\c49c091d\App_Web_yoejhrso.2.cs Line: 0

Stack Trace:

[EndOfStreamException: Unable to read beyond the end of the stream.]
System.IO.__Error.EndOfFile() +54
System.IO.BinaryReader.ReadByte() +2761294
System.Web.UI.ObjectStateFormatter.DeserializeValue(SerializerBinaryReader reader) +138
System.Web.UI.ObjectStateFormatter.DeserializeValue(SerializerBinaryReader reader) +358
System.Web.UI.ObjectStateFormatter.Deserialize(Stream inputStream) +223

[ArgumentException: The serialized data is invalid.]
System.Web.UI.ObjectStateFormatter.Deserialize(Stream inputStream) +309
System.Web.UI.ObjectStateFormatter.Deserialize(String inputString) +394
System.Web.UI.ObjectStateFormatter.System.Web.UI.IStateFormatter.Deserialize(String serializedState) +30
System.Web.UI.Util.DeserializeWithAssert(IStateFormatter formatter, String serializedState) +52
System.Web.UI.HiddenFieldPageStatePersister.Load() +155

[ViewStateException: Invalid viewstate.
Client IP: 127.0.0.1
Port:

[HttpException (0x80004005): The state information is invalid for this page and might be corrupted.]
System.Web.UI.ViewStateException.ThrowError(Exception inner, String persistedState, String errorPageMessage, Boolean macValidationError) +171
System.Web.UI.ViewStateException.ThrowViewStateError(Exception inner, String persistedState) +37
System.Web.UI.HiddenFieldPageStatePersister.Load() +269
System.Web.UI.Page.LoadPageStateFromPersistenceMedium() +137
System.Web.UI.Page.LoadAllState() +102
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +5914
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +188
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest() +112
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestWithNoAssert(HttpContext context) +37
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) +135
ASP.default_aspx.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) in c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\imageroll\4129d9e3\c49c091d\App_Web_yoejhrso.2.cs:0
System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +401
System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +117

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.42

Juan T. Llibre said:
[...]

OK, let's go to plan "B"... ;-)

Are you trying to retrieve a value from ViewState ?

If so, is there an alternate method you could use to persist that value ?
( Instead of using ViewState...so you'd have a workaround. )

Can you post part of the offending code ?
(The part where you retrieve the Viewstate value...)

Juan T. Llibre
ASP.NET MVP
ASPNETFAQ.COM : http://www.aspnetfaq.com
==================================
Well, suggestions did no really fix the problem. Even after disabling EventValidation still getting
the same issue.

Server Error in '/ImageRoll' Application.

The state information is invalid for this page and might be corrupted.
review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Juan T. Llibre said:
[...]

Here is offending method. This is being run when button is pressed. It works first time but not second time. I can store data somewhere else but I'd rather troubleshoot and do it as designed.

GS said:
[...]

Do you have an "else" clause after that "if" clause ?

That would explain why it works the first time ( when MyCoordinates == null )
but doesn't work the second time ( when MyCoordinates !null ).

Juan T. Llibre said:
OK, let's go to plan "B"... ;-)

Are you trying to retrieve a value from ViewState ?

If so, is there an alternate method you could use to persist that value ?
( Instead of using ViewState...so you'd have a workaround. )

Can you post part of the offending code ?
(The part where you retrieve the Viewstate value...)

Juan T. Llibre
ASP.NET MVP
ASPNETFAQ.COM : http://www.aspnetfaq.com
Well, suggestions did no really fix the problem. Even after disabling EventValidation still
getting
the same issue.

Server Error in '/ImageRoll' Application.

The state information is invalid for this page and might be corrupted.
Please