Does writting JSF custom component require J2EE?

Discussion in 'Java' started by byoder@hotmail.com, Jan 6, 2007.

  1. Guest

    I am new to JSF, and custom JSF - is J2EE (Enterprise Edition) a
    requirement when creating custom JSF components? When I try to extend
    UIComponentTag I get compiler error
    "javax.servlet.jsp.tagext.JspIdConsumer cannot be resolved. It is
    indirectly referenced from required .class files". I found this in
    the J2EE API, so I know that it exists there - but I would like to use
    J2SE; I will be running on Tomcat.

    Here is an example of the class I am stuck on:

    package jsftest;

    import javax.faces.application.Application;
    import javax.faces.component.UIComponent;
    import javax.faces.context.FacesContext;
    import javax.faces.el.ValueBinding;
    import javax.faces.webapp.UIComponentTag;

    public class FacesTextBoxTag extends UIComponentTag
    {
    // Declare a bean property for the hellomsg attribute.
    public String hellomsg = null;

    // Associate the renderer and component type.
    public String getComponentType() { return
    "com.sscims.jsfkit.TextBox"; }
    public String getRendererType() { return null; }

    protected void setProperties(UIComponent component)
    {
    super.setProperties(component);

    // set hellomsg
    if (hellomsg != null)
    {
    if (isValueReference(hellomsg))
    Application app = context.getApplication();
    ValueBinding vb = app.createValueBinding(hellomsg);
    component.setValueBinding("hellomsg", vb);
    }
    else
    component.getAttributes().put("hellomsg", hellomsg);

    public void release()
    {
    super.release();
    hellomsg = null;
    }

    public void setHellomsg(String hellomsg)
    {
    this.hellomsg = hellomsg;

    , Jan 6, 2007

  2. wrote:
    > I am new to JSF, and custom JSF - is J2EE (Enterprise Edition) a
    > requirement when creating custom JSF components? When I try to extend
    > UIComponentTag I get compiler error
    > "javax.servlet.jsp.tagext.JspIdConsumer cannot be resolved. It is
    > indirectly referenced from required .class files". I found this in
    > the J2EE API, so I know that it exists there - but I would like to use
    > J2SE; I will be running on Tomcat.

    JSF is part of J2EE.

    You can deploy a JSF implementation on Tomcat without
    anything else because Tomcat has the relevant J2EE pieces.

    For development you can either find the jars in Tomcat or just
    grab the J2EE SDK and use j2ee.jar.

    Arne

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=, Jan 6, 2007

    > JSF is part of J2EE.
    >
    > You can deploy a JSF implementation on Tomcat without
    > anything else because Tomcat has the relevant J2EE pieces.
    >
    > For development you can either find the jars in Tomcat or just
    > grab the J2EE SDK and use j2ee.jar.
    >
    > Arne

    Thanks Arne. I have tried adding all the jar's that come with Tomcat
    5x to my classpath, but am still getting the compile error. I can try
    to install Sun Java 5 J2EE (which installs sun server, ect.) and then
    copy j2ee.jar into Tomcat - but should I have to do that if Tomcat
    supports J2EE?

    , Jan 10, 2007
  4. wrote:
    >> JSF is part of J2EE.
    >>
    >> You can deploy a JSF implementation on Tomcat without
    >> anything else because Tomcat has the relevant J2EE pieces.
    >>
    >> For development you can either find the jars in Tomcat or just
    >> grab the J2EE SDK and use j2ee.jar.

    > Thanks Arne. I have tried adding all the jar's that come with Tomcat
    > 5x to my classpath, but am still getting the compile error. I can try
    > to install Sun Java 5 J2EE (which installs sun server, ect.) and then
    > copy j2ee.jar into Tomcat - but should I have to do that if Tomcat
    > supports J2EE?

    I quick search in my Tomcat reveals that the missing class
    is part of JSF, so it should be in your JSF libs - and you should
    add those to your build.

    It is widely used to have j2ee.jar in classpath for build, but you
    must *NOT* deploy it in Tomcat.

    Arne

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=, Jan 10, 2007

    I am going to respond to my own question...

    I have located the following directory on my PC (which contained the
    jar files that I needed). In My Eclipse I just added to my classpath a
    "library" called "J2EE 1.4 Library Set". Then I could compile my
    custom JSF components.

    C:\Program Files\MyEclipse
    5.0GA\eclipse\plugins\com.genuitec.eclipse.j2eedt.core_5.0.0\data\libraryset\1.4

    I assume that I could install J2EE (very hevy footprint) or get these
    somewhere else. But basically I find the following jars there...

    activation.jar
    javax.servlet.jsp.jar
    javax.servlet.jar
    jboss-jaxrpc.jar
    jboss-j2ee.jar
    jboss-jsr77.jar
    jboss-saaj.jar
    mail.jar
    namespace.jar
    xml-apis.jar

    I am not sure if I have to deploy these to Tomcat, but I will let you
    know.

    Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > I am new to JSF, and custom JSF - is J2EE (Enterprise Edition) a
    > > requirement when creating custom JSF components? When I try to extend
    > > UIComponentTag I get compiler error
    > > "javax.servlet.jsp.tagext.JspIdConsumer cannot be resolved. It is
    > > indirectly referenced from required .class files". I found this in
    > > the J2EE API, so I know that it exists there - but I would like to use
    > > J2SE; I will be running on Tomcat.

    > JSF is part of J2EE.
    >
    > You can deploy a JSF implementation on Tomcat without
    > anything else because Tomcat has the relevant J2EE pieces.
    >
    > For development you can either find the jars in Tomcat or just
    > grab the J2EE SDK and use j2ee.jar.
    >
    > Arne

    , Jan 10, 2007