    As long as we are comparing the neighbor's grass, Visual Studio seems
    to be the only IDE which does not have factoring!

    -Ramon
    Ramon F Herrera, Jul 12, 2009

  2. Ramon F Herrera

    markspace Guest

    Re: Doesn't Eclipse support multi-file search? How about "Find Declaration/Definition"in Netbeans?

    Ramon F Herrera wrote:

    > - Isn't there a way to find the origin of a name (variable, class) in
    > Netbeans?

    Let's see, I'm not sure. Help -> Contents -> Java Applications ->
    Editing Java Source Files -> Code Navigaition

    To perform this task Follow these steps

    Go to the Java source for Press Alt-Shift-O,
    the identifier the insertion or choose Navigate > Go to Source.
    point is on.

    Is that what you mean? I also use control-B a lot to find the source of
    a method call or variable. This is great for looking stuff up in the
    API, if you've installed sources from Sun (which is easy to do). Alt-F1
    will open the Java doc for a method or class too. There's lots more
    stuff is you just click on the Navigate menu and look at the choices.
    markspace, Jul 12, 2009

  3. Ramon F Herrera

    Eric Sosman Guest

    Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    > I guess I am getting used to Visual Studio, an IDE that I tried to
    > avoid but finally gave up: Microsoft wins again. :-\
    >
    > After spending a while doing native C++ development, I am wearing my
    > Java development hat again.
    >
    > I have to confess that I miss some features that I took for granted.
    > Perhaps I am using an old version, or haven't looked carefully.
    >
    > - Doesn't Eclipse support multi-file search?
    >
    > - Isn't there a way to find the origin of a name (variable, class) in
    > Netbeans?

    With the cursor on the name, right-click and choose
    Navigate> and then one of Go to Source, Go to Declaration,
    Go to Test, Go to Super Implementation, Inspect Members, or
    Inspect Hierarchy. Or right-click and choose Show Javadoc
    or Find Usages. (There are keyboard shortcuts for all these
    things, if you use them enough to remember the shortcuts.)
    Or open the Navigator window and use it to get around. I
    guess it comes down to what you mean by "origin."

    --
    Eric Sosman
    lid
    Eric Sosman, Jul 12, 2009
  4. On Jul 12, 1:47 pm, markspace <> wrote:
    > Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    > >  - Isn't there a way to find the origin of a name (variable, class) in
    > > Netbeans?

    > Let's see, I'm not sure.  Help -> Contents -> Java Applications ->
    > Editing Java Source Files -> Code Navigaition
    >
    > To perform this task             Follow these steps
    >
    > Go to the Java source for        Press Alt-Shift-O,
    > the identifier the insertion     or choose Navigate > Go to Source.
    > point is on.
    >
    > Is that what you mean?  I also use control-B a lot to find the source of
    > a method call or variable.  This is great for looking stuff up in the
    > API, if you've installed sources from Sun (which is easy to do).  Alt-F1
    > will open the Java doc for a method or class too.  There's lots more
    > stuff is you just click on the Navigate menu and look at the choices.

    That is exactly what I meant, Mark. It was hidden in a submenu.

    Thanks!

    -Ramon
    Ramon F Herrera, Jul 12, 2009
  5. On Jul 12, 1:53 pm, Eric Sosman <> wrote:
    > Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    > > I guess I am getting used to Visual Studio, an IDE that I tried to
    > > avoid but finally gave up: Microsoft wins again. :-\

    > > After spending a while doing native C++ development, I am wearing my
    > > Java development hat again.

    > > I have to confess that I miss some features that I took for granted.
    > > Perhaps I am using an old version, or haven't looked carefully.

    > >  - Doesn't Eclipse support multi-file search?

    > >  - Isn't there a way to find the origin of a name (variable, class) in
    > > Netbeans?

    >      With the cursor on the name, right-click and choose
    > Navigate> and then one of Go to Source, Go to Declaration,
    > Go to Test, Go to Super Implementation, Inspect Members, or
    > Inspect Hierarchy.  Or right-click and choose Show Javadoc
    > or Find Usages.  (There are keyboard shortcuts for all these
    > things, if you use them enough to remember the shortcuts.)
    > Or open the Navigator window and use it to get around.

    > I guess it comes down to what you mean by "origin."

    I had "The Origin of Species" in mind, some sort of genealogical
    search. :)

    Thanks,

    -Ramon
    Ramon F Herrera, Jul 12, 2009
  6. On Jul 12, 1:47 pm, Patricia Shanahan <> wrote:
    > Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    >
    > ...>  - Doesn't Eclipse support multi-file search?

    > Of course it does. The Search menu has several options, including both
    > pure text searches and searches for Java elements such as types.
    > Also, "References" in the identifier right click menu finds all
    > references in various scopes.
    >
    > Patricia

    It is all coming back. I blame my confusion on the IDE designers; they
    made a simple search (Control-F) and a fancy search (Control-H), in
    entirely separate menus.

    Thx,

    -RFH
    Ramon F Herrera, Jul 12, 2009
  7. Ramon F Herrera

    Tom Anderson Guest

    On Sun, 12 Jul 2009, Ramon F Herrera wrote:

    > On Jul 12, 1:47 pm, Patricia Shanahan <> wrote:
    >> Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    >>
    >> ...>  - Doesn't Eclipse support multi-file search?
    >>
    >> Of course it does. The Search menu has several options, including both
    >> pure text searches and searches for Java elements such as types. Also,
    >> "References" in the identifier right click menu finds all references in
    >> various scopes.

    > It is all coming back. I blame my confusion on the IDE designers; they
    > made a simple search (Control-F) and a fancy search (Control-H), in
    > entirely separate menus.

    You mean like how your web browser puts 'find' and 'google search' in
    different places?

    I'm not saying it's the right thing to do, but i don't think it's absurd;
    they're pretty different operations.

    tom

    --
    Eat whip you steroid wall-bashing lug-head! -- The Laird
    Tom Anderson, Jul 12, 2009
  8. Ramon F Herrera

    Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    > On Jul 12, 1:47 pm, markspace <> wrote:
    >> or choose Navigate > Go to Source.

    > That is exactly what I meant, Mark. It was hidden in a submenu.

    "Navigate" is a top menu, on the menu bar right at the top of the
    NetBeans window. I don't know how that qualifies as "hidden."

    Yes, the right-click context menu uses a submenu, but the Navigate menu
    is a main menu. It wouldn't hurt to look at the contents of the top
    menus, and look them up in the docs, just to see what they do.
    markspace, Jul 12, 2009
  9. On Jul 12, 2:28 pm, Tom Anderson <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 12 Jul 2009, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    > > On Jul 12, 1:47 pm, Patricia Shanahan <> wrote:
    > >> Ramon F Herrera wrote:

    > >> ...>  - Doesn't Eclipse support multi-file search?

    > >> Of course it does. The Search menu has several options, including both
    > >> pure text searches and searches for Java elements such as types. Also,
    > >> "References" in the identifier right click menu finds all references in
    > >> various scopes.

    > > It is all coming back. I blame my confusion on the IDE designers; they
    > > made a simple search (Control-F) and a fancy search (Control-H), in
    > > entirely separate menus.

    > You mean like how your web browser puts 'find' and 'google search' in
    > different places?
    >

    > I'm not saying it's the right thing to do, but i don't
    > think it's absurd; they're pretty different operations.

    It is not absurd, it is only confusing and inelegant. Shows lack a
    integration (*)

    A better comparison (than the web browser) would be to have a 'grep'
    for a single file and an 'mgrep' to deal with multiple files. That
    would be silly.

    -Ramon

    (*) "Trying to lead OSS developers is like trying to herd cats".
    Ramon F Herrera, Jul 12, 2009