Doesn't Eclipse support multi-file search? How about "FindDeclaration/Definition" in Netbeans?

Ramon F Herrera

I guess I am getting used to Visual Studio, an IDE that I tried to
avoid but finally gave up: Microsoft wins again. :-\

After spending a while doing native C++ development, I am wearing my
Java development hat again.

I have to confess that I miss some features that I took for granted.
Perhaps I am using an old version, or haven't looked carefully.

- Doesn't Eclipse support multi-file search?

- Isn't there a way to find the origin of a name (variable, class) in
Netbeans?

As long as we are comparing the neighbor's grass, Visual Studio seems
to be the only IDE which does not have factoring!

-Ramon

markspace

Ramon said:
- Isn't there a way to find the origin of a name (variable, class) in
Netbeans?

Let's see, I'm not sure. Help -> Contents -> Java Applications ->
Editing Java Source Files -> Code Navigaition

To perform this task Follow these steps

Go to the Java source for Press Alt-Shift-O,
the identifier the insertion or choose Navigate > Go to Source.
point is on.

Is that what you mean? I also use control-B a lot to find the source of
a method call or variable. This is great for looking stuff up in the
API, if you've installed sources from Sun (which is easy to do). Alt-F1
will open the Java doc for a method or class too. There's lots more
stuff is you just click on the Navigate menu and look at the choices.

Eric Sosman

Ramon said:
I guess I am getting used to Visual Studio, an IDE that I tried to
avoid but finally gave up: Microsoft wins again. :-\

After spending a while doing native C++ development, I am wearing my
Java development hat again.

I have to confess that I miss some features that I took for granted.
Perhaps I am using an old version, or haven't looked carefully.

- Doesn't Eclipse support multi-file search?

- Isn't there a way to find the origin of a name (variable, class) in
Netbeans?

With the cursor on the name, right-click and choose
Navigate> and then one of Go to Source, Go to Declaration,
Go to Test, Go to Super Implementation, Inspect Members, or
Inspect Hierarchy. Or right-click and choose Show Javadoc
or Find Usages. (There are keyboard shortcuts for all these
things, if you use them enough to remember the shortcuts.)
Or open the Navigator window and use it to get around. I
guess it comes down to what you mean by "origin."

Ramon F Herrera

Let's see, I'm not sure.  Help -> Contents -> Java Applications ->
Editing Java Source Files -> Code Navigaition

To perform this task             Follow these steps

Go to the Java source for        Press Alt-Shift-O,
the identifier the insertion     or choose Navigate > Go to Source.
point is on.

Is that what you mean?  I also use control-B a lot to find the source of
a method call or variable.  This is great for looking stuff up in the
API, if you've installed sources from Sun (which is easy to do).  Alt-F1
will open the Java doc for a method or class too.  There's lots more
stuff is you just click on the Navigate menu and look at the choices.

That is exactly what I meant, Mark. It was hidden in a submenu.

Thanks!

-Ramon

Ramon F Herrera

     With the cursor on the name, right-click and choose
Navigate> and then one of Go to Source, Go to Declaration,
Go to Test, Go to Super Implementation, Inspect Members, or
Inspect Hierarchy.  Or right-click and choose Show Javadoc
or Find Usages.  (There are keyboard shortcuts for all these
things, if you use them enough to remember the shortcuts.)
Or open the Navigator window and use it to get around.
> I guess it comes down to what you mean by "origin."

I had "The Origin of Species" in mind, some sort of genealogical
search. :)

Thanks,

-Ramon

Ramon F Herrera

Ramon F Herrera wrote:

...>  - Doesn't Eclipse support multi-file search?

Of course it does. The Search menu has several options, including both
pure text searches and searches for Java elements such as types.
Also, "References" in the identifier right click menu finds all
references in various scopes.

Patricia

It is all coming back. I blame my confusion on the IDE designers; they
made a simple search (Control-F) and a fancy search (Control-H), in
entirely separate menus.

Thx,

-RFH

Tom Anderson

It is all coming back. I blame my confusion on the IDE designers; they
made a simple search (Control-F) and a fancy search (Control-H), in
entirely separate menus.

You mean like how your web browser puts 'find' and 'google search' in
different places?

I'm not saying it's the right thing to do, but i don't think it's absurd;
they're pretty different operations.

tom

markspace

That is exactly what I meant, Mark. It was hidden in a submenu.

"Navigate" is a top menu, on the menu bar right at the top of the
NetBeans window. I don't know how that qualifies as "hidden."

Yes, the right-click context menu uses a submenu, but the Navigate menu
is a main menu. It wouldn't hurt to look at the contents of the top
menus, and look them up in the docs, just to see what they do.

Ramon F Herrera

You mean like how your web browser puts 'find' and 'google search' in
different places?
> I'm not saying it's the right thing to do, but i don't
> think it's absurd; they're pretty different operations.

It is not absurd, it is only confusing and inelegant. Shows lack a
integration (*)

A better comparison (than the web browser) would be to have a 'grep'
for a single file and an 'mgrep' to deal with multiple files. That
would be silly.

-Ramon

(*) "Trying to lead OSS developers is like trying to herd cats".