Dog-Slow Web App Creation

Greg Dunn

I haven't created a web application in Visual Studio for a while, and when I
went to do that yesterday the process hung with the "Create New Web" dialog
window up. I then attempted a second time to create a web app, and the same
thing happened. I then left the computer for an hour or so, and when I came
back the app had finally been created. But it appears to be taking
somewhere between 15 and 60 minutes to create it!

I've uninstalled and reinstalled Visual Studio (2003, version from Oct 2003
MSDN DVD). Since that didn't solve the problem, I uninstalled and
reinstalled Internet Information Services (I'm running XP, not yet SP2). I
then upgraded IIS to ASPNET 1.1.

But none of this has solved the problem. I figure it has something to do
with a change made by a security patch. Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks!

Greg Dunn

Joe Fallon

Here is one idea:

Try turning off your Virus Scanner.
Mine is a killer when I use VSS over a VPN.
Things like checking out a file are supposed to take a few seconds not 50-75
seconds!

Greg Dunn

Thanks, Joe. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be it. Turned off the
scanner, but the problem remains.

Greg