Doing a partial rebuild of Python?

Roy Smith

A while ago, I build Python-2.3.4 from source on my OSX machine. At the
time, I didn't have the gdbm library installed, so the gdbm module
didn't get built.

I've since installed the gdbm library and want to build the gdbm module.
I could do the whole configure/make thing, but that's kind of slow. Is
there some way to just rebuild a single module?

Irmen de Jong

Roy said:
A while ago, I build Python-2.3.4 from source on my OSX machine. At the
time, I didn't have the gdbm library installed, so the gdbm module
didn't get built.

I've since installed the gdbm library and want to build the gdbm module.
I could do the whole configure/make thing, but that's kind of slow. Is
there some way to just rebuild a single module?

Just typing "make" again should build any new modules that have
been enabled by installing additional libraries -- without recompiling
anything else.

John J. Lee

Irmen de Jong said:
Roy Smith wrote: [...]
module. I could do the whole configure/make thing, but that's kind
of slow. Is there some way to just rebuild a single module?

Just typing "make" again should build any new modules that have
been enabled by installing additional libraries -- without recompiling
anything else.

Don't you need to do a ./configure too, first?

John

Irmen de Jong

John said:
Don't you need to do a ./configure too, first?

I thought not. But I could be mistaken.
(I thought the module compile process was smart
enough to figure it out by itself, without
needing ./configure again...)

--Irmen

Michael Hudson

Irmen de Jong said:
Roy Smith wrote: [...]
module. I could do the whole configure/make thing, but that's kind
of slow. Is there some way to just rebuild a single module?

Just typing "make" again should build any new modules that have
been enabled by installing additional libraries -- without recompiling
anything else.

Don't you need to do a ./configure too, first?

No. gdbmmodule is built by setup.py, so no autoconfery required.

Cheers,
mwh

--
> What are mathematicians' critical job skills? [...]
The ability to work long and hard on entirely meaningless problems.
-- Michael Hudson & Gordon McMillan, c.l.py