DOM access speed mini BenchMark : Safari vs FireFox vs Opera

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Jorge, Jul 1, 2008.

  1. Jorge

    Jorge Guest

    Based on the table shuffling code of the recent cljs thread "Randomize
    HTML Table Rows from JavaScript " (http://tinyurl.com/56g37t), I get
    this results :

    e.replaceChild() (SAM's code) :

    FF2 : 1x
    FF3: 1.3x
    Opera 9.5 : 4.8x
    Safari r34469 : 8.4x

    e.insertBefore() (Thomas' code) :

    FF2 : 1x
    FF3: 1.2x
    Opera 9.5 : 4.7x
    Safari r34469 : 10.8x

    e.appendChild() (Jorge's code) :

    FF2 : 1x
    FF3: 1.1x
    Opera 9.5 : 4.3x
    Safari r34469 : 10.2x

    As the JavaScript core (Sun Spider : webkit.org/perf/sunspider-0.9/
    sunspider.html) benchmarks were already showing, Safari is the
    fastest, but I wasn't expecting such **huge** differences in DOM
    manipulation speeds...

    The data : (got it on my Mac/OS 10.5.3)

    FF2.0.0.14

    159.1/100 ms (SAM)
    104.2/100 ms (Thomas)
    88.66/100 ms (Jorge)

    FF3.0

    123.23/100 ms (SAM)
    86.7/100 ms (Thomas)
    83.72/100 ms (Jorge)

    Opera 9.5

    33.25/100 ms (SAM)
    22.33/100 ms (Thomas)
    20.61/100 ms (Jorge)

    Safari/WebKit r34469 :

    18.92/100 ms (SAM)
    9.69/100 ms (Thomas)
    8.72/100 ms (Jorge)

    Take it with a grain of salt.

    --Jorge.

    Jorge, Jul 1, 2008

  2. Jorge meinte:

    > Based on the table shuffling code of the recent cljs thread "Randomize
    > HTML Table Rows from JavaScript " (http://tinyurl.com/56g37t), I get
    > this results :

    > As the JavaScript core (Sun Spider : webkit.org/perf/sunspider-0.9/
    > sunspider.html) benchmarks were already showing, Safari is the
    > fastest, but I wasn't expecting such **huge** differences in DOM
    > manipulation speeds...
    >
    > The data : (got it on my Mac/OS 10.5.3)
    >
    > FF2.0.0.14
    >
    > 159.1/100 ms (SAM)
    > 104.2/100 ms (Thomas)
    > 88.66/100 ms (Jorge)
    >
    > FF3.0
    >
    > 123.23/100 ms (SAM)
    > 86.7/100 ms (Thomas)
    > 83.72/100 ms (Jorge)
    >
    > Opera 9.5
    >
    > 33.25/100 ms (SAM)
    > 22.33/100 ms (Thomas)
    > 20.61/100 ms (Jorge)
    >
    > Safari/WebKit r34469 :
    >
    > 18.92/100 ms (SAM)
    > 9.69/100 ms (Thomas)
    > 8.72/100 ms (Jorge)
    >
    > Take it with a grain of salt.

    Indeed. (WinXP, "normally" running system)

    FF3 (all sorts of extensions activated): 94/64/63
    Safari 3: 21/15/15
    Opera 9.5: 15/0.5/0 (!)

    Looking at the result I can state, that Opera is approx. 1,000,000,000
    faster than Safari... Man this *is* fast.

    Gregor

    http://web.gregorkofler.com ::: meine JS-Spielwiese

    Gregor Kofler, Jul 2, 2008

  3. Jorge

    Jorge Guest

    On Jul 2, 9:57 am, Gregor Kofler <> wrote:
    > Opera 9.5: 15/0.5/0 (!)
    >
    > Looking at the result I can state, that Opera is approx. 1,000,000,000
    > faster than Safari... Man this *is* fast.

    Yeah ! That last 0 means that that Opera of yours can do infinite work
    in no time at all. Keep it in a safe place, that's worth millions.
    Unfortunately mine read 90/37/32 and so it's not worth so much.

    --Jorge.

    Jorge, Jul 2, 2008
  4. Jorge meinte:
    > On Jul 2, 9:57 am, Gregor Kofler <> wrote:
    >> Opera 9.5: 15/0.5/0 (!)
    >>
    >> Looking at the result I can state, that Opera is approx. 1,000,000,000
    >> faster than Safari... Man this *is* fast.

    > Yeah ! That last 0 means that that Opera of yours can do infinite work
    > in no time at all. Keep it in a safe place, that's worth millions.

    It covers CD-ROMs with a not-so-thin golden layer, too. It's so amazing.
    The 0.5 mark isn't that bad either. I'll use it for brute-force cracking
    of 256-bit keys.

    > Unfortunately mine read 90/37/32 and so it's not worth so much.

    Perhaps some nightly build, where they left out the good parts.

    Gregor Kofler, Jul 2, 2008