  1. Fred

    Fred Guest

    why can't a fieldset have a 'name' property as every other element can?

    Fred, Aug 24, 2008

  2. Fred

    purcaholic Guest

    On 24 Aug., 21:46, Fred <> wrote:
    > why can't a fieldset have a 'name' property as every other element can?

    The name attribute is not an universal attribute, therefore you can't
    use it for every element. It can be used for some elements (see
    http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/index/attributes.html for details). I case
    of using XHTML, some elements should use the id attribute instead of
    name (see http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#h-4.10)

    Regards,
    purcaholic

    purcaholic, Aug 25, 2008

  3. Fred

    SAM Guest

    Fred a écrit :
    > why can't a fieldset have a 'name' property as every other element can?

    And why not also 'label' or 'legend' ?

    I suppose only elements needed to be sent by the form can be named
    (that's to say : only inputs and textareas), this names being used as
    variables on server side.
    form, fieldset, legend, label are of no interest on server side.

    --
    sm

    SAM, Aug 25, 2008