DOM Levels, new to me

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by one man army, Nov 26, 2005.

  1. one man army

    one man army Guest

    Hi All-
    Having started on this Javascript endeavor, and reading the posts here
    a bit, I found the DOM inspector in my Mozilla browser (Mozilla/5.0
    Gecko/20030624). Whoa!

    here is a trivial window inspected, expanded strategically:

    http://www.screenlight.com/down/DOM.gif

    (Not easy to extract, btw. Sorry for the non-text format)

    Q. How much of this can I reasonably expect to learn and query in my
    generally working Javascript/ECMA? in other words, given browser wars,
    lagging standards, INCOMPLETE DOM Ref on Mozilla Dev, etc., how do I
    approach this daunting level of detail?

    Perhaps this is rhetorical, or someone has a suggestion. I am reeling
    in information overload!

    thanks for any sage words

    one man army, Nov 26, 2005

  2. one man army wrote:

    > Having started on this Javascript endeavor, and reading the posts here
    > a bit, I found the DOM inspector in my Mozilla browser (Mozilla/5.0
    > Gecko/20030624). Whoa!

    > Q. How much of this can I reasonably expect to learn and query in my
    > generally working Javascript/ECMA? in other words, given browser wars,
    > lagging standards, INCOMPLETE DOM Ref on Mozilla Dev, etc., how do I
    > approach this daunting level of detail?

    The standards are reasonable places to start

    http://www.w3.org/DOM/DOMTR
    http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Nov 26, 2005

  3. one man army a écrit :
    > Hi All-
    > Having started on this Javascript endeavor, and reading the posts here
    > a bit, I found the DOM inspector in my Mozilla browser (Mozilla/5.0
    > Gecko/20030624). Whoa!
    >
    > here is a trivial window inspected, expanded strategically:
    >
    > http://www.screenlight.com/down/DOM.gif
    >
    > (Not easy to extract, btw. Sorry for the non-text format)
    >
    > Q. How much of this can I reasonably expect to learn and query in my
    > generally working Javascript/ECMA? in other words, given browser wars,
    > lagging standards, INCOMPLETE DOM Ref on Mozilla Dev, etc., how do I
    > approach this daunting level of detail?
    >
    > Perhaps this is rhetorical, or someone has a suggestion. I am reeling
    > in information overload!
    >
    > thanks for any sage words

    On top of what David wrote you, I'd add these 2 documents:

    Whitespace in the DOM (important document)
    http://www.mozilla.org/docs/dom/technote/whitespace/

    DevEdge Netscape Sidebar Tabs (very useful: I use those all the time)
    http://devedge-temp.mozilla.org/toolbox/sidebars/

    Gérard
    --
    remove blah to email me