    if there is such a thing.

    Regards
    Daniel

    danjourno, Dec 12, 2007

  2. On Dec 12, 3:33 am, danjourno <> wrote:
    > I have been trying to search for a Basic DOM wrapper for simple DOM
    > functions. I am wondering if someone can recommend any of the
    > exisiting Javascript Frameworks that possibly provide something like
    > this. I don't want something too high level, just something that gives
    > me very basic access to the DOM but has cross browser compatibility,
    > if there is such a thing.

    So long as you avoid having any elements having an id that matches the
    name of a different element, and use direct property access rather
    than setAttribute, then basic DOM is implemented pretty consistently
    across browsers.

    As libraries go, I generally use YUI (which does normalise things
    across browsers quite nicely). http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/

    David Dorward, Dec 12, 2007

  3. danjourno

    David Mark Guest

    On Dec 13, 3:48 am, none <""ds\"@(none)"> wrote:
    > Hi, Dean Edward's Base2 is probably what you are after.
    > See herehttp://dean.edwards.name/weblog/2007/08/names/
    > andhttp://code.google.com/p/base2/
    >
    > It is just as you want, not a 2MB fully-fledged 'all bells and whistles'
    > 'all singing and dancing' js library', but just a tiny library to patch
    > up browser differences when using the DOM, especially broken DOM events.

    I looked at that a few months ago. It does a lot of browser sniffing
    and also augments host objects.

    For simple DOM wrappers, there has been a lot of progress made in the
    last few days in the group's "Code Worth Recommending" project.
    Events are on ths short list of topics to address.

    David Mark, Dec 13, 2007
  4. danjourno

    David Mark Guest

    On Dec 12, 2:50 am, David Dorward <> wrote:
    > On Dec 12, 3:33 am, danjourno <> wrote:
    >
    > > I have been trying to search for a Basic DOM wrapper for simple DOM
    > > functions. I am wondering if someone can recommend any of the
    > > exisiting Javascript Frameworks that possibly provide something like
    > > this. I don't want something too high level, just something that gives
    > > me very basic access to the DOM but has cross browser compatibility,
    > > if there is such a thing.

    > So long as you avoid having any elements having an id that matches the
    > name of a different element, and use direct property access rather
    > than setAttribute, then basic DOM is implemented pretty consistently
    > across browsers.

    That only covers two DOM functions. Add two more to the list
    (setAttribute and gEBTN) and things get exponentially worse.

    > As libraries go, I generally use YUI (which does normalise things
    > across browsers quite nicely).http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/

    It is better than some of the other popular libraries, but seems like
    overkill for smoothing out DOM differences. And every time I look at
    one of its modules or documentation, I spot signs that the developers
    are less than adept at browser scripting.

    David Mark, Dec 13, 2007