    I dont have any freaking idea about DOM and how to use it. Can anyone
    point me to some places for the layman or begginer? I know xml though.

    Thanks

    Afifov, May 15, 2006

  2. Afifov

    ironcorona Guest

    Afifov wrote:
    > Hello this maybe out of context, but there is no group here for this.
    >
    > I dont have any freaking idea about DOM and how to use it. Can anyone
    > point me to some places for the layman or begginer? I know xml though.

    Perhaps the w3 site would be a good place to start. I'm not sure if
    it's *exactly* for the beginner but there should be links to tutorials.

    http://www.w3.org/DOM/

    --
    Brian O'Connor (ironcorona)

    ironcorona, May 15, 2006

  3. Afifov wrote:
    > Hello this maybe out of context, but there is no group here for this.
    >
    > I dont have any freaking idea about DOM and how to use it. Can anyone
    > point me to some places for the layman or begginer? I know xml though.

    Not a easy read but:

    http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-DOM-Level-1/
    Document Object Model (DOM) Level 1 Specification

    Good place to start:

    http://www.mozilla.org/docs/dom/
    The DOM in Mozilla

    Of course MS as a different idea ;-)

    A good reference to sort things out...

    http://www.quirksmode.org/dom/contents.html
    W3C DOM - Table of Contents
    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, May 15, 2006
  4. Afifov

    David Segall Guest

    "Afifov" <> wrote:

    >Hello this maybe out of context, but there is no group here for this.
    >
    >I dont have any freaking idea about DOM and how to use it. Can anyone
    >point me to some places for the layman or begginer? I know xml though.
    >
    >Thanks

    I found this short series of articles from IBM very helpful
    <http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/web/library/wa-ajaxintro1.html>.
    It includes a good introduction to the Document Object Model and,
    because it describes Ajax, it show one way of updating a web page that
    requires the DOM.

    David Segall, May 15, 2006
  5. Afifov

    Guest

    The best place I've been to for online Internet help is
    www.w3schools.com. Hope it helps you.

    BabaFree

    , May 15, 2006
  6. Afifov

    Jim Moe Guest

    Afifov wrote:

    > I dont have any freaking idea about DOM and how to use it. Can anyone
    > point me to some places for the layman or begginer? I know xml though.

    How can you know XML and nothing about DOM?

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

    Jim Moe, May 15, 2006
  7. Afifov

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Mon, 15 May 2006 12:30:25 -0700, Jim Moe
    <> wrote:

    > How can you know XML and nothing about DOM?

    I know XML and still know next to nothing about the HTML DOM.

    XML DOM is a nice well-behaved thing, simple to understand and
    well-documented by a standard (and you get XPath too). HTML DOMs are a
    rats' nest of vendor-specific weirdness.

    If you want to learn DOM, then I'd suggest an AJAX introduction. At
    least you'll learn a modern vendor-independent way of doing things.

    Andy Dingley, May 16, 2006
  8. On 15/05/2006 16:58, Afifov wrote:

    > Hello this maybe out of context, but there is no group here for this.

    If you have questions about scripting the DOM using an ECMAScript
    derivative (such as JavaScript), then direct them to
    comp.lang.javascript. If not, alt.html should do as it covers just about
    anything related to Web development.

    [snip]

    > I know xml though.

    The DOM can be applied to any structural markup language; it's not
    limited to applications of SGML and XML (though HTML and XML documents
    are the most common).

    Mike

    --
    Michael Winter

    Michael Winter, May 16, 2006
  9. Afifov

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Afifov finally
    proclaimed:

    > I dont have any freaking idea about DOM and how to use it. Can anyone
    > point me to some places for the layman or begginer? I know xml though.

    As a quick reference, but not a tutorial, I use the sheets available at
    http://www.dannyg.com/ref/jsquickref.html - they aren't really suitable
    for learning HTML DOM from, but they will come in useful later ;)

    --
    Dylan Parry

    Dylan Parry, May 16, 2006
  10. Afifov

    Afifov Guest

    Thx. The W3 specification arent quite suitable for begginners. The
    W3Cschools were not helpful either.

    Thanks for the other links.

    Afifov, May 16, 2006
  11. Afifov

    Bob Guest

    Afifov wrote:
    > Hello this maybe out of context, but there is no group here for this.
    >
    > I dont have any freaking idea about DOM and how to use it. Can anyone
    > point me to some places for the layman or begginer? I know xml though.
    >
    > Thanks

    DOM = CSS + Javascript, or Dynamic HTML (DHTML). Just to give you an idea.

    Bob, May 18, 2006
  12. Afifov

    David Segall Guest

    Bob <> wrote:

    >Afifov wrote:
    >> Hello this maybe out of context, but there is no group here for this.
    >>
    >> I dont have any freaking idea about DOM and how to use it. Can anyone
    >> point me to some places for the layman or begginer? I know xml though.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    >DOM = CSS + Javascript, or Dynamic HTML (DHTML). Just to give you an idea.

    It would be the wrong idea. This article contains a lucid account of
    what the Document Object Model actually is.
    <http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/web/library/wa-ajaxintro4/>

    David Segall, May 18, 2006
  13. Afifov

    Bob Guest

    David Segall wrote:

    > Bob <> wrote:
    >
    >> Afifov wrote:
    >>> Hello this maybe out of context, but there is no group here for this.
    >>>
    >>> I dont have any freaking idea about DOM and how to use it. Can anyone
    >>> point me to some places for the layman or begginer? I know xml though.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

    >> DOM = CSS + Javascript, or Dynamic HTML (DHTML). Just to give you an idea.

    > It would be the wrong idea. This article contains a lucid account of
    > what the Document Object Model actually is.
    > <http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/web/library/wa-ajaxintro4/>

    Depends how much he knows. For over 90% of the population, that is the
    answer I would give. And for the vast majority of those ppl, they won't
    even really understand what Javascript of CSS is too much, so even that
    explanation is over their heads.

    Bob, May 18, 2006
  14. Afifov

    Bob Guest

    David Segall wrote:
    > Bob <> wrote:
    >
    >> Afifov wrote:
    >>> Hello this maybe out of context, but there is no group here for this.
    >>>
    >>> I dont have any freaking idea about DOM and how to use it. Can anyone
    >>> point me to some places for the layman or begginer? I know xml though.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

    >> DOM = CSS + Javascript, or Dynamic HTML (DHTML). Just to give you an idea.

    > It would be the wrong idea. This article contains a lucid account of
    > what the Document Object Model actually is.
    > <http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/web/library/wa-ajaxintro4/>

    For a nonprogrammer, nonwebdesigner type, it would not be tremendously
    far off. See:

    http://www.w3.org/DOM/

    "Dynamic HTML" is a term used by some vendors to describe *the
    combination of HTML, style sheets and scripts that allows documents to
    be animated*. The W3C has received several submissions from members
    companies on the way in which the object model of HTML documents should
    be exposed to scripts. These submissions do not propose any new HTML
    tags or style sheet technology. The W3C DOM Activity is working hard to
    make sure interoperable and scripting-language neutral solutions are
    agreed upon.

    I guess I should say, HTML, CSS and Javascript. Or the way that HTML,
    CSS and Javascript interact in order to make webpages dynamic. Looks
    like we can also throw in SVG and MathML, though those are not very well
    supported by browsers yet.

    Bob, May 18, 2006
  15. Afifov

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Bob finally
    proclaimed:

    > DOM = CSS + Javascript, or Dynamic HTML (DHTML)

    That's a bit misleading. DOM is neither CSS, nor Javascript. It is an
    internal representation of the document, upon which Javascript and CSS
    can act.

    --
    Dylan Parry

    Dylan Parry, May 18, 2006
  16. Afifov

    Bob Guest

    Dylan Parry wrote:
    > Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Bob finally
    > proclaimed:
    >
    >> DOM = CSS + Javascript, or Dynamic HTML (DHTML)

    > That's a bit misleading. DOM is neither CSS, nor Javascript. It is an
    > internal representation of the document, upon which Javascript and CSS
    > can act.

    That's a better def.

    Bob, May 18, 2006
  17. Afifov

    David Segall Guest

    Bob <> wrote:

    >David Segall wrote:
    >> Bob <> wrote:

    >>> DOM = CSS + Javascript, or Dynamic HTML (DHTML). Just to give you an idea.

    >> It would be the wrong idea. This article contains a lucid account of
    >> what the Document Object Model actually is.
    >> <http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/web/library/wa-ajaxintro4/>

    >For a nonprogrammer, nonwebdesigner type, it would not be tremendously
    >far off. See:
    >
    >http://www.w3.org/DOM/

    I can see how you were misled by the W3C summary because it confuses
    the definition with the usage of the DOM. The only useful part of the
    "What is the Document Object Model?" paragraph is "The Document Object
    Model is a platform- and language-neutral interface". The idea behind
    the DOM is that it is a definition of a data structure; how you access
    that data is irrelevant.

    It is true that most readers of this group would populate a Document
    Object Model using CSS and [X]HTML and may access it or alter it using
    Javascript. However, if you were writing a browser you would access
    the DOM using C++ or Java.

    Forgive me for being pedantic about this. I feel it is important to
    distinguish between the way the data on a web page is represented -
    the DOM - and the way it is accessed (CSS, HTML, Javascript, Java
    etc).

    David Segall, May 18, 2006
  18. Afifov

    Bob Guest

    David Segall wrote:
    > Bob <> wrote:
    >
    >> David Segall wrote:

    >>> It would be the wrong idea. This article contains a lucid account of
    >>> what the Document Object Model actually is.
    >>> <http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/web/library/wa-ajaxintro4/>

    >> For a nonprogrammer, nonwebdesigner type, it would not be tremendously
    >> far off. See:
    >>
    >> http://www.w3.org/DOM/

    > I can see how you were misled by the W3C summary because it confuses
    > the definition with the usage of the DOM. The only useful part of the
    > "What is the Document Object Model?" paragraph is "The Document Object
    > Model is a platform- and language-neutral interface". The idea behind
    > the DOM is that it is a definition of a data structure; how you access
    > that data is irrelevant.
    >
    > It is true that most readers of this group would populate a Document
    > Object Model using CSS and [X]HTML and may access it or alter it using
    > Javascript. However, if you were writing a browser you would access
    > the DOM using C++ or Java.
    >
    > Forgive me for being pedantic about this. I feel it is important to
    > distinguish between the way the data on a web page is represented -
    > the DOM - and the way it is accessed (CSS, HTML, Javascript, Java
    > etc).

    You're making sense. I just printed out that IBM page and I am reading
    it now. :)

    Bob, May 18, 2006
  19. Afifov

    Jim Moe Guest

    Andy Dingley wrote:

    >> How can you know XML and nothing about DOM?

    > I know XML and still know next to nothing about the HTML DOM.

    Wow. You guys are a lot better at reading minds than I am.

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

    Jim Moe, May 18, 2006