DOM

Afifov

Hello this maybe out of context, but there is no group here for this.

I dont have any freaking idea about DOM and how to use it. Can anyone
point me to some places for the layman or begginer? I know xml though.

Thanks

ironcorona

Afifov said:
Hello this maybe out of context, but there is no group here for this.

I dont have any freaking idea about DOM and how to use it. Can anyone
point me to some places for the layman or begginer? I know xml though.

Perhaps the w3 site would be a good place to start. I'm not sure if
it's *exactly* for the beginner but there should be links to tutorials.

http://www.w3.org/DOM/

Jonathan N. Little

Afifov said:
Hello this maybe out of context, but there is no group here for this.

I dont have any freaking idea about DOM and how to use it. Can anyone
point me to some places for the layman or begginer? I know xml though.

Not a easy read but:

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-DOM-Level-1/
Document Object Model (DOM) Level 1 Specification

Good place to start:

http://www.mozilla.org/docs/dom/
The DOM in Mozilla

Of course MS as a different idea ;-)

A good reference to sort things out...

http://www.quirksmode.org/dom/contents.html
W3C DOM - Table of Contents

David Segall

Afifov said:
Hello this maybe out of context, but there is no group here for this.

I dont have any freaking idea about DOM and how to use it. Can anyone
point me to some places for the layman or begginer? I know xml though.

Thanks
I found this short series of articles from IBM very helpful
<http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/web/library/wa-ajaxintro1.html>.
It includes a good introduction to the Document Object Model and,
because it describes Ajax, it show one way of updating a web page that
requires the DOM.

Jim Moe

Afifov said:
I dont have any freaking idea about DOM and how to use it. Can anyone
point me to some places for the layman or begginer? I know xml though.
How can you know XML and nothing about DOM?

Andy Dingley

How can you know XML and nothing about DOM?

I know XML and still know next to nothing about the HTML DOM.

XML DOM is a nice well-behaved thing, simple to understand and
well-documented by a standard (and you get XPath too). HTML DOMs are a
rats' nest of vendor-specific weirdness.

If you want to learn DOM, then I'd suggest an AJAX introduction. At
least you'll learn a modern vendor-independent way of doing things.

Michael Winter

Hello this maybe out of context, but there is no group here for this.

If you have questions about scripting the DOM using an ECMAScript
derivative (such as JavaScript), then direct them to
comp.lang.javascript. If not, alt.html should do as it covers just about
anything related to Web development.

[snip]
I know xml though.

The DOM can be applied to any structural markup language; it's not
limited to applications of SGML and XML (though HTML and XML documents
are the most common).

Mike

Dylan Parry

Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Afifov finally
proclaimed:
I dont have any freaking idea about DOM and how to use it. Can anyone
point me to some places for the layman or begginer? I know xml though.

As a quick reference, but not a tutorial, I use the sheets available at
http://www.dannyg.com/ref/jsquickref.html - they aren't really suitable
for learning HTML DOM from, but they will come in useful later ;)

Afifov

Thx. The W3 specification arent quite suitable for begginners. The
W3Cschools were not helpful either.

Thanks for the other links.

Bob

Afifov said:
Hello this maybe out of context, but there is no group here for this.

I dont have any freaking idea about DOM and how to use it. Can anyone
point me to some places for the layman or begginer? I know xml though.

Thanks

DOM = CSS + Javascript, or Dynamic HTML (DHTML). Just to give you an idea.

Bob

It would be the wrong idea. This article contains a lucid account of
what the Document Object Model actually is.
<http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/web/library/wa-ajaxintro4/>

For a nonprogrammer, nonwebdesigner type, it would not be tremendously
far off. See:

http://www.w3.org/DOM/

"Dynamic HTML" is a term used by some vendors to describe *the
combination of HTML, style sheets and scripts that allows documents to
be animated*. The W3C has received several submissions from members
companies on the way in which the object model of HTML documents should
be exposed to scripts. These submissions do not propose any new HTML
tags or style sheet technology. The W3C DOM Activity is working hard to
make sure interoperable and scripting-language neutral solutions are
agreed upon.

I guess I should say, HTML, CSS and Javascript. Or the way that HTML,
CSS and Javascript interact in order to make webpages dynamic. Looks
like we can also throw in SVG and MathML, though those are not very well
supported by browsers yet.

Dylan Parry

Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Bob finally
proclaimed:
DOM = CSS + Javascript, or Dynamic HTML (DHTML)

That's a bit misleading. DOM is neither CSS, nor Javascript. It is an
internal representation of the document, upon which Javascript and CSS
can act.

Bob

Dylan said:
Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Bob finally
proclaimed:

That's a bit misleading. DOM is neither CSS, nor Javascript. It is an
internal representation of the document, upon which Javascript and CSS
can act.
That's a better def.

David Segall

Bob said:
For a nonprogrammer, nonwebdesigner type, it would not be tremendously
far off. See:

http://www.w3.org/DOM/
I can see how you were misled by the W3C summary because it confuses
the definition with the usage of the DOM. The only useful part of the
"What is the Document Object Model?" paragraph is "The Document Object
Model is a platform- and language-neutral interface". The idea behind
the DOM is that it is a definition of a data structure; how you access
that data is irrelevant.

It is true that most readers of this group would populate a Document
Object Model using CSS and [X]HTML and may access it or alter it using
Javascript. However, if you were writing a browser you would access
the DOM using C++ or Java.

Forgive me for being pedantic about this. I feel it is important to
distinguish between the way the data on a web page is represented -
the DOM - and the way it is accessed (CSS, HTML, Javascript, Java
etc).

Bob

David said:
Bob said:
[...]

You're making sense. I just printed out that IBM page and I am reading
it now. :)