    import org.dom4j.Element;
    import org.dom4j.Document;
    import org.dom4j.io.OutputFormat;
    import org.dom4j.io.XMLWriter;
    import java.io.FileWriter;
    import java.io.IOException;

    public class Foo {
        public Document createDocument() {
            Document document = DocumentHelper.createDocument();
            Element root = document.addElement( "root" );

            Element author1 = root.addElement( "author" )
                .addAttribute( "name", "James" )
                .addAttribute( "location", "UK" )
                .addText( "James Strachan" );

            Element author2 = root.addElement( "author" )
                .addAttribute( "name", "Bob" )
                .addAttribute( "location", "US" )
                .addText( "Bob McWhirter" );

            return document;
        }
       public static void main(String[] args){
         Foo ex = new Foo();
         try{
            FileWriter out = new FileWriter( "foo.xml" );
            Document document;
            document = ex.createDocument();
            document.write( out );
         }
         catch(IOException e){
            System.out.println("Unable to create file:" + e.getMessage());
    and I also have
    Code:
    dom4j-1.6.1.jar
    in the same directory
    I compiled the app with
    Code:
    javac Foo.java -classpath
    dom4j-1.6.1.jar
    and got no errors, but when I run the code I
    get this error
    Code:
    Exception in thread "main"
    java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/dom4j/DocumentHelper
            at Foo.createDocument(Foo.java:12)
            at Foo.main(Foo.java:32)
    Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.dom4j.DocumentHelper
    	at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:276)
    	... 2 more

    What am I doing wrong. If I unjar the dom4j-1.6.1.jar the
    class labeled DocumentHelper is there.
    Thanks,

    , Jun 9, 2008

  2. Roedy Green Guest