Domain extension I haven't seen before

Discussion in 'HTML' started by patrick j, Oct 1, 2006.

  1. patrick j

    patrick j Guest

    Hi

    I'm just in the process of hunting down a domain name.

    I've found I can get what I would like with ".me.uk" but I don't know
    what the "me" is for?

    In the UK ".ac.uk" is used for academic institutions, whereas ".co.uk"
    is by far the most common extension and I guess it is much the same as
    ".com" for "commerical business" internationally.

    I wonder if ".me.uk" is intended for medical institutions?

    An alternative is that maybe it is for one's personal web-site, the
    "me" meaning, well "me" ?

    --
    Patrick
    Brighton, UK

    patrick j, Oct 1, 2006

  2. patrick j <> wrote:

    > Hi

    How do you do?

    > I'm just in the process of hunting down a domain name.
    >
    > I've found I can get what I would like with ".me.uk" but I don't know
    > what the "me" is for?
    >
    > In the UK ".ac.uk" is used for academic institutions, whereas ".co.uk"
    > is by far the most common extension and I guess it is much the same as
    > ".com" for "commerical business" internationally.
    >
    > I wonder if ".me.uk" is intended for medical institutions?

    nope

    > An alternative is that maybe it is for one's personal web-site, the
    > "me" meaning, well "me" ?

    aye - that's the one :)

    http://www.nominet.org.uk/digitalAssets/3152_Me.ukRulesConsltSummaryapril.pdf#search="nominet me.uk"

    --
    William Tasso

    William Tasso, Oct 1, 2006

  3. patrick j

    guv Guest

    On Sun, 1 Oct 2006 13:27:55 +0100, patrick j
    <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >I'm just in the process of hunting down a domain name.
    >
    >I've found I can get what I would like with ".me.uk" but I don't know
    >what the "me" is for?
    >
    >In the UK ".ac.uk" is used for academic institutions, whereas ".co.uk"
    >is by far the most common extension and I guess it is much the same as
    >".com" for "commerical business" internationally.
    >
    >I wonder if ".me.uk" is intended for medical institutions?

    Nope

    >An alternative is that maybe it is for one's personal web-site, the
    >"me" meaning, well "me" ?

    Thats pretty much the case. To me its a pretty lame one to want to
    use, but has been added so there are more domain names to ....er...
    sell !

    guv, Oct 1, 2006
  4. patrick j

    patrick j Guest

    patrick j, Oct 1, 2006
  5. patrick j

    patrick j Guest

    On Sun, 1 Oct 2006 18:54:37 +0100, guv wrote
    (in article <>):

    > Thats pretty much the case. To me its a pretty lame one to want to
    > use, but has been added so there are more domain names to ....er...
    > sell !

    Oddly enough it struck me as being quite a good idea :)

    It's all a matter of taste I guess.

    I think you are quite right that the desire must be to sell more domain
    names.

    --
    Patrick
    Brighton, UK