Domain extension I haven't seen before

patrick j

Hi

I'm just in the process of hunting down a domain name.

I've found I can get what I would like with ".me.uk" but I don't know
what the "me" is for?

In the UK ".ac.uk" is used for academic institutions, whereas ".co.uk"
is by far the most common extension and I guess it is much the same as
".com" for "commerical business" internationally.

I wonder if ".me.uk" is intended for medical institutions?

An alternative is that maybe it is for one's personal web-site, the
"me" meaning, well "me" ?

William Tasso

patrick j said:

How do you do?
I'm just in the process of hunting down a domain name.

I've found I can get what I would like with ".me.uk" but I don't know
what the "me" is for?

In the UK ".ac.uk" is used for academic institutions, whereas ".co.uk"
is by far the most common extension and I guess it is much the same as
".com" for "commerical business" internationally.

I wonder if ".me.uk" is intended for medical institutions?
nope

An alternative is that maybe it is for one's personal web-site, the
"me" meaning, well "me" ?

aye - that's the one :)

http://www.nominet.org.uk/digitalAssets/3152_Me.ukRulesConsltSummaryapril.pdf#search="nominet me.uk"

guv

Hi

I'm just in the process of hunting down a domain name.

I've found I can get what I would like with ".me.uk" but I don't know
what the "me" is for?

In the UK ".ac.uk" is used for academic institutions, whereas ".co.uk"
is by far the most common extension and I guess it is much the same as
".com" for "commerical business" internationally.

I wonder if ".me.uk" is intended for medical institutions?
Nope

An alternative is that maybe it is for one's personal web-site, the
"me" meaning, well "me" ?

Thats pretty much the case. To me its a pretty lame one to want to
use, but has been added so there are more domain names to ....er...
sell !

patrick j

Thats pretty much the case. To me its a pretty lame one to want to
use, but has been added so there are more domain names to ....er...
sell !

Oddly enough it struck me as being quite a good idea :)

It's all a matter of taste I guess.

I think you are quite right that the desire must be to sell more domain
names.