Domain Forwarding OT

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Jeff Thies, Sep 4, 2003.

  1. Jeff Thies

    Jeff Thies Guest

    Hello,

    I've registered a domain with GoDaddy.com (first time with them) and
    have this set to forward to a directory on a different domain.

    Here's the domain: http://feelgoodphoto.com

    and it forwards to this:

    http://thelimit.com/feelgoodphoto/

    How does this domain forwarding work???? Is this different than a
    normal DNS lookup and trace?

    I ask this because Earthlink and only Earthlink fails to resolve this
    and then only for only some of their pops.

    A tracert looks something like this:

    Tracing route to feelgoodphoto.com [64.202.162.37]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

    1 298 ms 279 ms 279 ms acn05-lo-1.ga-atlanta0.ne.earthlink.net
    209.165.105.5]
    2 256 ms 260 ms 259 ms 207.69.143.2
    3 278 ms 259 ms 258 ms
    dir10-g12-0-0.ga-atlanta0.ne.earthlink.net
    209.165.96.18]
    4 * * * Request timed out.
    5 * * * Request timed out.
    6 * * * Request timed out.

    That looks to me like they are doing some IP filtering at one of their
    routers.

    What's going on?

    Cheers,
    Jeff
    Jeff Thies, Sep 4, 2003

  2. Jeff Thies wrote:
    > Here's the domain: http://feelgoodphoto.com
    > and it forwards to this:
    > http://thelimit.com/feelgoodphoto/

    > How does this domain forwarding work???? Is this different than a
    > normal DNS lookup and trace?

    It isn't domain forwarding, its an http redirect (note the 301 and the
    Location header):

    david@cyberman:david]telnet feelgoodphoto.com 80
    Trying 64.202.162.37...
    Connected to feelgoodphoto.com.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    GET / HTTP/1.1
    Host: feelgoodphoto.com

    HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently
    Transfer-Encoding: chunked
    Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 16:22:05 GMT
    Server: Apache/1.3.28 (Unix) PHP/4.3.1
    Location: http://thelimit.com/feelgoodphoto/
    Via: 1.1 netcache01 (NetCache NetApp/5.4R1)

    <HTML><HEAD>
    <TITLE>301 Moved Permanently</TITLE>
    </HEAD><BODY>
    <H1>Moved Permanently</H1>
    The document has moved <A
    HREF="http://thelimit.com/feelgoodphoto/">here</A>.<P>
    <HR>
    <ADDRESS>Apache/1.3.28 Server at parkweb6.secureserver.net Port 80</ADDRESS>
    </BODY></HTML>

    David Dorward http://dorward.me.uk/
    David Dorward, Sep 4, 2003

  3. Jeff Thies

    Jeff Thies Guest

    David Dorward wrote:

    > Jeff Thies wrote:
    > > Here's the domain: http://feelgoodphoto.com
    > > and it forwards to this:
    > > http://thelimit.com/feelgoodphoto/

    > > How does this domain forwarding work???? Is this different than a
    > > normal DNS lookup and trace?

    > It isn't domain forwarding, its an http redirect (note the 301 and the
    > Location header):

    Thanks.

    I couldn't have been more surprised! Seems like a quick and cheesy way
    for them to do this with minimal traffic.

    Curious. What's the expected behaviour of the UA? Does it have to look
    it up each time? Or does it cache it for the browser session or longer?

    W3C is a bit unenlightening on this.

    Cheers,
    Jeff

    Jeff Thies, Sep 4, 2003
  4. Jeff Thies wrote:

    > David Dorward wrote:

    >> HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently

    > Curious. What's the expected behaviour of the UA?
    > W3C is a bit unenlightening on this.

    | 301 Moved Permanently
    |
    | The requested resource has been assigned a new permanent URI and any
    | future references to this resource SHOULD use one of the returned URIs.
    | Clients with link editing capabilities ought to automatically re-link
    | references to the Request-URI to one or more of the new references
    | returned by the server, where possible. This response is cacheable unless
    | indicated otherwise.

    The UA should cache it as any other page (subject to any cache control http
    headers).

    --
    David Dorward http://dorward.me.uk/
    David Dorward, Sep 4, 2003
  5. Jeff Thies wrote:

    > Curious. What's the expected behaviour of the UA? Does it have to look
    > it up each time? Or does it cache it for the browser session or longer?

    It's a 301 (permenant redirect) response code, so theoretically the
    browser should remember it.

    playing://(nothing)
    Toby A Inkster, Sep 4, 2003