Domain Forwarding

Discussion in 'HTML' started by kwaj, Aug 17, 2005.

  1. kwaj

    kwaj Guest

    kwaj, Aug 17, 2005

  2. kwaj

    Safalra Guest

    kwaj wrote:
    > I was wondering if there was any standard scripts outthere which would
    > forward a sub-domain to another page? I have a domain name,
    > http://mydomainname.com for example. I would like a subdomain,
    > http://mydomainname.com/subdomain to be automatically forwarded to another
    > URL, let's say http://anotherurl.com .

    On what server is your site hosted? In Apache forwarding is done
    through .htaccess. I far as I know you put this line in the .htaccess
    file in the subdirectory:

    ErrorDocument 301 http://anotherurl.com

    Don't quote me on that though, as I've never actually used .htaccess.

    By the way, a subdomain in something of the form
    http://subdomain.example.com/, and not http://example.com/subdomain/.

    --
    Safalra (Stephen Morley)
    http://www.safalra.com/hypertext/

    Safalra, Aug 17, 2005

  3. On 17 Aug 2005 05:22:39 -0700, "Safalra" <> wrote:

    >kwaj wrote:
    >> I was wondering if there was any standard scripts outthere which would
    >> forward a sub-domain to another page? I have a domain name,
    >> http://mydomainname.com for example. I would like a subdomain,
    >> http://mydomainname.com/subdomain to be automatically forwarded to another
    >> URL, let's say http://anotherurl.com .

    >On what server is your site hosted? In Apache forwarding is done
    >through .htaccess. I far as I know you put this line in the .htaccess
    >file in the subdirectory:
    >
    >ErrorDocument 301 http://anotherurl.com
    >
    >Don't quote me on that though, as I've never actually used .htaccess.
    >
    >By the way, a subdomain in something of the form
    >http://subdomain.example.com/, and not http://example.com/subdomain/.

    If you're going to use ErrorDocument, it would be "404"
    ErrorDocument 404 http://example.com

    You might have been thinking of the 301 redirect:
    Redirect 301 /subdomain http://example.com

    These would be in your .htaccess at your DocumentRoot. Again, these
    are when you are using Apache. If you are using IIS as your web
    server, do some Google searching for answers.
    --
    Terry
    My blog: http://www.TheNextWindow.com

    Terry Stockdale, Aug 19, 2005